Football Officiating > General Discussion

What would you do?

(1/4) > >>

dammitbobby:
Asking here to get responses across multiple codes and levels.  I saw this question asked on a FB group and wanted to know what everyone's response would be.  TBH I was kinda shocked at some of the answers posted there.

Here's the question:

'Player gets tackled on opponent sideline, ball comes flying out & rolls onto the track.  Official says to sidelines, “ a little help please with the football.”  Defensive head coach says, “Don’t get it, it’s their football, they can get it.”  (He is referring to the other team). Offensive player already is heading to the huddle when coach makes the comment.

What do you do?  Wait for someone on the sideline, go get it yourself, Flag him for being a jerk, or make the offense go get it. Usually, teams are helpful, but this coach was surprisingly difficult with this situation.'

What would your response be? 

JasonTX:
I'd probably go retrieve it.  I could also call timeout and go get the other ball boy and walk him over there to get it.  Coach probably gets upset that it's taking so long but had he just gotten someone to toss the ball to us we wouldn't be in this situation.

AlUpstateNY:

--- Quote from: JasonTX on September 07, 2021, 12:42:41 PM ---I'd probably go retrieve it.  I could also call timeout and go get the other ball boy and walk him over there to get it.  Coach probably gets upset that it's taking so long but had he just gotten someone to toss the ball to us we wouldn't be in this situation.

--- End quote ---

I would (privately) ask the Coach if he would request he direct his sideline to help ME in retrieving the ball, to avoid unnecessary delay.  If he refused, I would ultimately retrieve it, and "hope" his asinine and juvenile reaction would not impair my ongoing judgment. If at all possible, had assistance not been ultimately forthcoming. I would alert the coach of my disappointment, and subsequently report this inappropriate behavior to the school Athletic Director.

HLinNC:
Kind of depends on the level.  Friday night I'm sending a ball boy.  He works for us from 7:30 til we're done.

Lower levels, somebody on that sideline is going to usually go get it before asking. 

I hear a comment like that, I'm most likely making a note to self that the coach is a d*#@ and his leash may have just gotten shorter.

bossman72:
If you use the "4 and 2" method (discussed in another thread), you don't have to worry about this scenario.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version