Author Topic: Thanks to Grant  (Read 2451 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Thanks to Grant
« on: September 15, 2021, 08:41:24 AM »
Grant,
While I can only truly speak for myself, I think EVERYBODY that uses this valuable training, teaching, communication, and, yes, social website appreciates the work you put in making this as good as it can be for American football officials worldwide.
THANK YOU!
Let us know if/how we can help.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Thanks to Grant
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
^^What he said!  Thank you for all the behind-the-scenes work you do, that many (myself included) often don't appreciate.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2021, 05:10:36 PM »
Thanks guys!  I appreciate the kind words.

When I started this site back on May 27, 2005 (my birthday present to myself a long time ago), it was a labor of love.  I spent hours and hours on here behind the scenes playing with different features of the software...and loved every minute of it.  Because of certain circumstances out of my control, I had to step away from it for a while, but Rulesman was willing to step up and keep it moving along.  In the past few years, I've been able to jump back into it.  The problem is that I'm older now and haven't messed with the code behind the site in quite a while.  I've had to relearn a few things and I'm getting close to the territory of "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."

The board is not nearly as active as it was many years ago.  If any of you have any ideas as to how to draw more people to the site to get more discussion, please let me know.

Elvis always wants to be in Hawaii listening to Elvis music.  I'll take anywhere tropical with some Jimmy Buffet tunes playing.   pHiNzuP

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 08:20:07 PM »
Mele kalikimaka, baby!

With the dedicated ‘social media’ sites out there, it is difficult to have a site just dedicated to a focused avocation. Personally, I refuse to be a part of those types of sites, but that’s a personal problem, I suppose.

I just hope you can keep this going.

Thank you.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 10:10:37 PM »
The problem is that I'm older now and haven't messed with the code behind the site in quite a while.  I've had to relearn a few things and I'm getting close to the territory of "you can't teach an old dog new tricks."

Ok, I just checked your profile and compared it to mine.  YOU ARE NOT OLD.   ;D

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 10:49:54 PM »
Grant,
While I can only truly speak for myself, I think EVERYBODY that uses this valuable training, teaching, communication, and, yes, social website appreciates the work you put in making this as good as it can be for American football officials worldwide.
THANK YOU!
Let us know if/how we can help.

Robert Cameron
Lubbock, Texas

:bOW :bOW :bOW :bOW :bOW :bOW :bOW  (Seven man crew)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2021, 06:38:54 AM »
Ditto all of the above!
 aWaRd ^good

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2021, 08:50:23 AM »
RETWEET!!!!

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2021, 01:18:36 PM »
Ok, I just checked your profile and compared it to mine.  YOU ARE NOT OLD.   ;D

Honestly, I don't feel very old...most of the time. :)  I'm just at a point in my life where it's hard to find the time to learn something new.  That might be because, when I'm not working one of the 3 jobs I have (and just started a 4th helping my kids start a side business), I like to sit on the couch and rest. 

Offline Pop Tart

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2021, 03:27:40 PM »
Although I rarely post anything I've been lurking around this board for a long time. All the THANKS are well deserved Grant! ^good

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2021, 09:57:39 AM »
Although I rarely post anything I've been lurking around this board for a long time. All the THANKS are well deserved Grant! ^good

Thanks Pop Tart.  Hopefully we will be able to catch up to each other next spring at a scrimmage. 

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2021, 08:34:02 AM »
Message boards are generally in decline in participation as new media supplants it.  Factor in a decline in officials also.  I use to check in on HS football related boards located in my state and many are now defunct or have had a dramatic reduction in posts.  Younger folks moved on to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and whatever is next.  "Old" folks hung on to whatever they feel comfortable with or dropped out.

I started umpiring LL in 1994 and quickly followed that up with football that fall.    I think we got our first PC in '95 or '96, cobbled together by my father, who worked 30+ years for NCR.  I quickly discovered the alt.rec.officiating Usenet sites.  I remember the old McGriff's Referee-Umpire Home page.  It was an excellent source of info for me as I began my officiating career.  This page and The Official Forum are still bookmarked and I check them daily.  This site is still a valuable resource for discussion and info, though the numbers may have dropped.

I appreciate the work that has been done over the years by all involved.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2021, 10:52:51 AM »
Thanks, Grant, for your tireless hours in keeping us up and running and under control  :bOW .

tiphat: tiphat: tiphat: tiphat: tiphat: tiphat: tiphat: (7-man crew)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2021, 01:38:56 PM »
Sometimes I question the "under control" comment..

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2021, 09:08:29 AM »
Sometimes I question the "under control" comment..

Yeah, I wondered about that one too.   ;D