Football Officiating > NCAA Discussion

Force Out?

(1/6) > >>

JDM:
IR reviewed the catch/no catch. Ruled a catch and no mention of the receiver going OB. Note that S had hat down. Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/ivlqr5n32rs

ElvisLives:
The hat goes down regardless if voluntary or forced out. While I don't know the specifics of this down, if you say replay ruled catch, then I can only surmise that the receiver was, correctly (as I see it), rule to have been forced out, then he returned inbounds immediately, and made the catch.
Any amount of contact is to be considered "forced" out.

Legacy Zebra:
Replay is not allowed to determine the effects of contact on this play. If the S rules him to be forced out, the only way replay could make it illegal touching is if there was absolutely no contact or the receiver never went out of bounds.

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: Legacy Zebra on October 12, 2021, 01:34:57 PM ---Replay is not allowed to determine the effects of contact on this play. If the S rules him to be forced out, the only way replay could make it illegal touching is if there was absolutely no contact or the receiver never went out of bounds.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, when said he was ruled OB voluntarily, that would have been the judgment of the S. It all makes sense, and appears correctly ruled and administered, to me.

ref6983:

--- Quote from: ElvisLives on October 12, 2021, 12:59:20 PM ---...
Any amount of contact is to be considered "forced" out.

--- End quote ---

This isn't remotely true. The exception requires the receiver to go out of bounds "due to contact by an opponent." Simply touching the receiver as happened in this case would never absolve a receiver from going out. This play is a foul for illegal touching a pass. It was not ruled or administered correctly at all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version