Author Topic: S/B 2021 Season Quiz 13  (Read 1496 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
S/B 2021 Season Quiz 13
« on: November 25, 2021, 10:17:19 PM »
1. 4/4 @ A-40. Team A is in scrimmage kick formation, and A90 is set to punt. A90’s punt is blocked, and the ball does not cross the neutral zone. A90 bats the ball at the A-35 and the ball goes directly out of bounds at the A-45.
RULING: B, 1/10, A-25, snap (25).
Illegal forward batting by A90. The 10-yard penalty is enforced per 3&1 at the Basic Spot, and the Basic spot is the previous spot. The spot of the foul is behind the Basic Spot, so the penalty is enforced from the spot of the foul (A-35), taking the ball to the A-25. The penalty also contains Loss of Down, thus, ending Team A’s series. Team B is awarded a series at the A-25.

2. 3/10 @ A-40. QB A12 drops back to the A-34 and throws a swing pass to A21 who is at the A-35. While the ball is in the air almost to A21, B54 pushes A21 in the back just below the waistline and then intercepts the pass at the A-35. B54 returns it to the A-20 where he goes out of bounds.
RULING: B, 1/10, A-20, snap (25).
B54 is eligible to touch a legal forward pass; thus, while attempting to get to the pass, he may block an opponent in the back at, or to, the buttocks. Legal action. B is awarded a series at the A-20.

3. 3/10 @ B-40. On the last play of the half, the home team throws a pass complete for a TD and the kick try is successful. The score is 56-0, and the home team is set to receive the 2nd half kickoff. During the halftime intermission the coaches and the referee agree that the third and fourth quarters should be shortened to 12 minutes each. The coaches also request that the second half be played with a “running clock,” i.e., that the game clock not be stopped.
RULING: The periods will be 12 minutes each; but the referee does not have the authority to alter any other game timing rule. The game shall be completed following all timing rules.

4. 1/10 @ B-25. The score is tied, and during the second possession series of the 1st overtime period, B25 intercepts a pass and carries the ball across Team A’s goal line. During the run, B79 blocks below the waist at midfield.
RULING: 1/10, 25-yard line of the selected end of the field.
Penalties for fouls by either team after a change of team possession in an extra period are declined by rule, and a score by the fouling team is canceled. Since the score remains tied, the game proceeds to a second extra period.

5. Free Kick @ A-35. While a free kick is in the air, B21 gives a waving signal that does not meet all the requirements of a valid fair catch signal. The ball is caught by B21 at the B-5.
RULING: B, 1/10, B-25, snap (40 and running).
By rule, following a catch of a legally free-kicked ball by a player that gives a valid or invalid fair catch signal, Team B will be awarded a series at the B-25 yard line.

6. Free Kick @ A-35. While a free kick is in the air, B21 gives a waving signal that does not meet all the requirements of a valid fair catch signal. The ball is caught by B44 at the B-5.
RULING: B, 1/10, B-5, snap (40 and running).
By rule, when a B player OTHER than a player that gives a signal catches a legally free-kicked ball, the ball is dead and belongs to B at the spot of the catch (B-5), where Team B is awarded a series.

7. 3/10 @ B-45. QB A12 throws a pass to A88 near the sideline at the B-25. A88 is airborne and secures firm control of A12’s forward pass. A88’s right foot lands inbounds, and he maintains firm control of the ball as he contacts the ground. B28, who is standing out of bounds, has his hand touching the ball while A88 was in control of the ball but still airborne.
RULING: Insufficient information for a complete ruling. However, the pass is complete to A88. By interpretation, B28’s touching of the ball while out of bounds and prior to A88’s return to the ground does NOT constitute the ball being out of bounds. The pass is completed when A88 first returns to the ground inbounds, with control of the ball. The question does not provide information that would allow us to determine when and where the ball became dead, and, thus, information for the next down.

8. Free Kick @ A-35. A90 kicks a low rolling kick that is untouched by Team B. The ball goes out of bounds at the B-33. Team A was offside on the play.
RULING: B, 1/10, B-38, snap (25), OR A, kickoff, A-30, free kick timing (25).
Team B has four options:
1)    Decline all penalties (which they would not do)
2)    Decline the offside penalty and accept the illegal kick out of bounds penalty (which they would not do)
3)    Decline the illegal kick out of bounds penalty and accept the 5-yard offside penalty at the previous spot and repeat the kickoff (plausible, depending on time & score)
4)    Decline the illegal kick out of bounds penalty and accept the 5-yard offside penalty at the spot where the dead-ball belongs to Team B (B-33), taking the ball to the B-38, where Team B is awarded a series (this is the most likely option)

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
Re: S/B 2021 Season Quiz 13
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2021, 04:30:47 AM »
In 7, I agree that there isn't enough info to determine the next down. My assumption is that they are driving folks to AR 4-2-3-I (i.e. this is a completed catch rather than an incompletion even though B28 is out of bounds).

In 8, A90's act is Illegally Kicking a loose ball (9-4-4), so B will take that (as it is a 10 yard penalty) at either the previous spot and rekick from Team A's 25-yard line or tacked on to the out of bounds spot (1st and 10 for B at Team B's 43-yard line) rather than the offside.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »

In 8, A90's act is Illegally Kicking a loose ball (9-4-4), so B will take that (as it is a 10 yard penalty) at either the previous spot and rekick from Team A's 25-yard line or tacked on to the out of bounds spot (1st and 10 for B at Team B's 43-yard line) rather than the offside.

A90’s kick is the free kick to start the down.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2021, 09:24:16 AM »
In #8, why would team B not decline the offside and accept the kick out of bounds penalty either from the PS or the spot where the dead ball belongs to team B? The result would still be either A FK A-30 or B 1/10 B-38, right?

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2021, 09:40:35 AM »
A90’s kick is the free kick to start the down.

That's not the way I interpreted ""kicks a low rolling kick". To me that means the ball is already moving when A90 then kicks it. Perhaps another one where the wording could be better (like #7).

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 10:00:21 AM »
In #8, why would team B not decline the offside and accept the kick out of bounds penalty either from the PS or the spot where the dead ball belongs to team B? The result would still be either A FK A-30 or B 1/10 B-38, right?

Kalle, of course.
Ironically, as I was making my post, I kept thinking there were six technical possibilities, but, I couldn’t conjure the other two. You got ‘em.
What I hope everybody understands is that B can NOT take BOTH the 30 yard option for the free kick OB, and a 5 yard penalty for the offside tacked on at that spot. Not in FBS or FCS football, but we have seen some folks do that in high school football. Any ‘tack on’ penalty can only be from the natural dead-ball spot (where the ball belongs to B). In this example, the tack-on penalty is a better result than the 30-yard option, and that is the major point of this example.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 10:04:33 AM »
That's not the way I interpreted ""kicks a low rolling kick". To me that means the ball is already moving when A90 then kicks it. Perhaps another one where the wording could be better (like #7).

Yes. In this example, who cares which player makes the kickoff? Just say, “Team A’s kickoff is a low rolling kick that is…” No confusion, that way.