Author Topic: Illegal Wedge Foul or not?  (Read 6789 times)

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
Illegal Wedge Foul or not?
« on: September 04, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »
4th qtr in Miami of Ohio at Florida game.  Kick return where Miami is returning and has two-man wedge set up and just as actual return starts a third blocker comes from behind and then alongside within arm's length of 2-man wedge.  Isn't that a wedge foul as soon as he comes alongside?  Is our crack video crew on this?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:11:41 PM by NVFOA_Ump »
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
Re: Illegal Wedge Foul or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 08:17:09 PM »
Is this the play?

Can't be, that's a Florida return, unless NVFOA had the wrong team.  If it was Miami in the 4th qtr, it would have been at either 12:31 or 1:21 remaining.

If so, I don't see any problems.

I'll bet Miguel Carodine does, after his own teammate took him out on the play!

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 09:30:11 PM »
Got to be @ 12:31 - It was early in the 4th qtr.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2010, 10:20:47 PM »
Dyslexic moment earlier, had the wrong team returning.  Try this one.  Still looks fine to me.  This can't be what they want flagged?!?!?

[yt=425,350]EeX1ieW9h6Q[/yt]

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• High School (MA & RI)
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 06:09:03 AM »
Actually that is the play.  Only saw it once live, but the question is when the blocker in the back moves up and onto the "end of the line" (see still photo) just as the blockers start toward the right, does that trigger the wedge foul (3 blockers shoulder-to-shoulder)?

Saw this type of play several times over the weekend where the "third man on the wedge" stayed behind initially and then moved up as the return man started upfield.  Doesn't this violate the intent of the rule since the rule has this as a formation foul that is triggered once there are 3 players or more shoulder-to-shoulder?

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 09:28:17 AM by NVFOA_Ump »

Offline Hawkeye

• FAN REACTION: +17/-2
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 08:37:07 AM »
It appeared to me that the "third man" was looking at blocking a specific player and just happened to come along side of an already established 2-man wedge.  Would we prefer that he didn't do that?  Absolutely, but if they are not obviously coming together for the purpose of blocking (as a "wall"), then I don't think they want that flagged.  As RR said in the CFO rules changes video, "we don't want to over officiate this rule".

Just my two cents.

Grant - AR

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2010, 09:00:25 AM »
It appeared to me that the "third man" was looking at blocking a specific player and just happened to come along side of an already established 2-man wedge.  Would we prefer that he didn't do that?  Absolutely, but if they are not obviously coming together for the purpose of blocking (as a "wall"), then I don't think they want that flagged.  As RR said in the CFO rules changes video, "we don't want to over officiate this rule".

Just my two cents.

I agree.  It has to be obvious that the team's intent is to form a wedge.  That's not the case here.  These three come together and then separate to block different players.  This is not what we want to call.