Author Topic: Eye Shade (Texas Officials)  (Read 12294 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
Eye Shade (Texas Officials)
« on: September 07, 2010, 10:23:24 AM »
Probably preaching to the choir as guys who frequent this site already know this, but the rule change re eye shade takes effect THIS year.  Solid black only.

From yesterday's game:
[yt=425,350]w-j0BWCUmNA[/yt]

Cooter

Re: Eye Shade (Texas Officials)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:29:47 AM »
I noticed the same thing and incorrectly thought the rule must start next year since several players were so blatant with the violation. 
**On another note from the same series of games yesterday - were they working 7 man crews?

Offline TXMike

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 10:45:46 AM »
All seemed to be 7man.   They did well adapting to it. 

504coach

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:19:45 AM »
First game of the season every player had eye black that said Eagles.  Booster club went out and bought 1500 pairs of eye black and did a fundraiser.  Cheerleaders had it on, Principal, Parents, and all of the players.  I told the trainer to think of a medical reason why they all had it on by the next time I ask the coach if everyone is properly equipped.  His REASON was classic.  He said, " every kid in school went out and got tattoos under their eyes to remember a fallen class mate named Eagles, so it was a tattoo not eye black."

I realize the point of this rule is to prevent schools from putting "F--- You" on their eye black.  I can get a Tattoo on my forearm that says "F--- You" and nothing happens but we are tripping on this?

Is their a medical reason for this (Don't use the tinted eye shield excuse)?

Offline NTXRef

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:23:15 AM »
Yes, I have added "Eye Black" police to my already list of police duties of towels, knees covered, and eye shields.   Already made them pull it off.   I was really hoping we were getting out of the knee situation since NCAA did, but UIL got us with the exception.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2010, 11:28:39 AM »
It is not related to safety.  It is related to "adhesive material, paint, grease or any other slippery substance" being on the player's person or clothing.  The exception was made for eye black but it was never intended that the eye black be used for something other than what it was designed. 

504coach

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 12:13:31 PM »
It is not related to safety.  It is related to "adhesive material, paint, grease or any other slippery substance" being on the player's person or clothing.  The exception was made for eye black but it was never intended that the eye black be used for something other than what it was designed. 

Make up is slippery, adhesive, paint, and grease.  Do we need to start telling players (football, volleyball, softball, basketball) to remove their mascara and eye liner?

Still a stupid reason to have to enforce this.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
Make up is slippery, adhesive, paint, and grease.  Do we need to start telling players (football, volleyball, softball, basketball) to remove their mascara and eye liner?

Still a stupid reason to have to enforce this.

I have no idea about the lesser sports but in football (NCAA rules), that is what RR and the committee want (and I have seen a written response from RR making it absolutley clear that is what they want) .  While you are out there having them towel it off, make them lose the "war paint" also. 

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »
Before my game Friday I noticed a handful of players wearing the stick-on eye black with the brand name on it in white letters.  I told them it had to be all black so they got a black Sharpie and filled in the lettering!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2010, 02:35:08 PM »
Wonder how long it will be until some company sues the NCAA for restricting their trade by not allowing them to put their logo out there?

Offline TxGrayhat

• FAN REACTION: +15/-4
  • T.A.S.O
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:12:22 PM »
This is one of those rules i hate....I will enforce ...but its just plain ole dumb.. let em uncover the knee. Let em block below the waist.. but tell em they can't have a letter , or 3:16 on thier eye black.... Now i gotta tell a kid he can't say he loves Jesus....
If you don't see the Football Don't Blow the Whistle!!!

Offline TXMike

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 09:15:33 PM »
And if he put "666" or "13" or "211"...what would you do then?

Offline blindref757

• FAN REACTION: +30/-17
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 09:57:46 PM »
I'd ignore it and do my job which is calling the game not policing crap that doesn't make $0.10 difference.  I'll let someone else get scratched for that!  There may be some badge of honor but I don't think we can wear those on our hat during games...and even if we did nobody would care.  This is not a referee issue.  It's a character issue and that is beyond the scope of our jobs.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 10:10:27 PM »
Where do you draw the line, or do you?  Had a team years ago that had many players who had drawn swastikas on their wrist tape?  Would you permit?  Do you know what those numbers "mean" that I posted earlier?

Cooter

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 10:25:24 PM »
Where do you draw the line, or do you?  Had a team years ago that had many players who had drawn swastikas on their wrist tape?  Would you permit?  Do you know what those numbers "mean" that I posted earlier?

211 = second letter of alphabet "b" - 11th letter "k" = common gang slang for "blood killer."  Will usually cause problems when displayed.

Offline TxGrayhat

• T.A.S.O
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 08:19:57 AM »
I hear what your saying mike. Just  don't like it.. The examples you give are racist or inflamitory anyway wouldn't they fall under the referee's judgement for taunting (i know its a stretch but that would fall under taunting "the intent" IMO).......

It makes me think If that swastika was on a sign on the fence (the spirit signs the cheerleaders put up) would you ask that it be removed. and If so what would you do if it said John 3:16 or Under Armour  instead.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 08:26:41 AM »
The problem does not exist in the small chapter to much of a degree. But if you get to the inner city schools, the big cross town rivalries, etc. anything on the eye shade, a towel, wristband or whatever can set off one heck of a mess between the teams.

Been there, done that and got that "t"shirt.

" I don't make the rules coach!"

504coach

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 08:27:33 AM »
If "gang problems" is the reason we are doing this then there needs to be a rule preventing tattoos being displayed.  

Offline TxGrayhat

• T.A.S.O
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 08:34:11 AM »
If "gang problems" is the reason we are doing this then there needs to be a rule preventing tattoos being displayed.  
Great Point...

Offline TXMike

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 08:57:44 AM »
Don't think we have jurisdiction over signs around the field.  We do have it over players.

In today's PC climate, I understand them taking the approach of nothing at all rather than force us to decide what is "ok" and what is not.  There never has been a ban on tattoos.  Perhaps that will eventually be implemented since there are more and more of them being seen.