Author Topic: Try Situation  (Read 2192 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Try Situation
« on: August 30, 2021, 11:00:38 PM »
You gotta love kick plays.  With your answer to the following scenario provide rule references.

Team A lines up for a Try from the B-3 yardline and will be attempting a field goal.  The kick is blocked behind the LOS and rolls several yards behind the kicker.  After the kick was blocked A50's helmet came off not due to a foul.  Players from both teams are trying to recover the ball.  Finally a Team B players picks the ball up and runs it all the way to the end zone for a 2 pt. TD.  At the B-30, A50, the player who lost his helmet, is flagged for continuing to participate prior to the ball being recovered by Team B.  He had grabbed his helmet and put it back on and continued to pursue the play.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 11:38:19 PM by JasonTX »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
Re: Try Situation
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 11:51:29 PM »
Declined by rule.  2 point TD.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 08:52:19 AM »
Declined by rule.  2 point TD.

Rule reference?

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 11:02:56 AM »
Here's what I have:

Pure result of the play is a 2 point TD by B. (AR 8-3-2-III).  However, after COP we have a foul by A for continued participation (9-1-17), at the B30. After a COP, penalties against either team are declined by rule (8-3-4-a), and no exceptions apply (Penalties for flagrant personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, dead-ball personal fouls and live-ball fouls treated as dead-ball fouls are enforced on the succeeding kickoff or at the succeeding spot in extra periods.)

So, the 2 points count, move on to KO.

Offline bossman72

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 12:17:09 PM »
Rule reference?

8-3-4a

This isn't flagrant or unsportsmanlike, so it's declined by rule.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 03:46:11 PM »
Here's what I have:

Pure result of the play is a 2 point TD by B. (AR 8-3-2-III).  However, after COP we have a foul by A for continued participation (9-1-17), at the B30. After a COP, penalties against either team are declined by rule (8-3-4-a), and no exceptions apply (Penalties for flagrant personal fouls, unsportsmanlike conduct fouls, dead-ball personal fouls and live-ball fouls treated as dead-ball fouls are enforced on the succeeding kickoff or at the succeeding spot in extra periods.)

So, the 2 points count, move on to KO.

The foul was before a change of possession.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 03:57:31 PM »
You're right, I missed that, lazy reading and making assumptions on my part.

8-3-3c-3 says it only applies if there is no score.

8-3-3-c-3 If before a change of team possession Team A commits a foul that is not offset (yes), and during the down there is neither another change of team possession (yes) nor a score (no), the penalty is declined by rule. (no.)

So I honestly don't know here - by rule the penalty cannot be declined because it did not meet all the elements listed above, but if it is accepted, we would replay the down?  That can't be right.

Drawing a blank here on this one.

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 04:01:09 PM »
8-3-4a

This isn't flagrant or unsportsmanlike, so it's declined by rule.

Since the foul was before a change of possession 8-3-3-c-3 is the reference.
"If before a change of team possession Team A commits a foul that is not offset, and during the down there is neither another change of team possession nor a score, the penalty is declined by rule."

In the play there was wasn't another change of team possession and there was a score so the penalty is not declined by rule.  That's how I'm reading it. 

Offline peterparsons

• FAN REACTION: +10/-0
  • BAFRA/IFAF/ELF official.
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 04:25:08 PM »
The penalty is not declined by rule, so B get the choice. They will decline it (10-1-1-b) and keep the 2 points. (In fact, I wouldn't even give them the option, I'd just tell them that's what's happening.)

Offline bossman72

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 10:30:54 PM »
Since the foul was before a change of possession 8-3-3-c-3 is the reference.
"If before a change of team possession Team A commits a foul that is not offset, and during the down there is neither another change of team possession nor a score, the penalty is declined by rule."

In the play there was wasn't another change of team possession and there was a score so the penalty is not declined by rule.  That's how I'm reading it. 

The way you described it, the foul happened after the COP.  The participation was after the COP even though the helmet was off before.

But regardless if before or after, the foul is declined and the try is over.  Team B is going to decline the foul and keep the score (clean hands).

I'm not sure the purpose of your question.  What else would we do with this foul?

Offline JasonTX

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 11:43:43 PM »
The way you described it, the foul happened after the COP.  The participation was after the COP even though the helmet was off before.

But regardless if before or after, the foul is declined and the try is over.  Team B is going to decline the foul and keep the score (clean hands).

I'm not sure the purpose of your question.  What else would we do with this foul?

This play nearly happened in one of our games last week.  The only difference was team B didn't score, but as we were going over this, someone asked a hypothetical what-if he would have scored.  10-2-5 prevents the penalty from carrying over to the kickoff so that leaves us with a previous spot enforcement but as you pointed out Team B would decline the penalty at take the 2 pts.