Author Topic: The Spring League - Overtime  (Read 2299 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
The Spring League - Overtime
« on: May 27, 2021, 09:53:49 PM »
Did y’all see that overtime coin toss and choices? What a bizarre system. Team with first choice chooses the yard line - any yard line - and which direction Team A will be heading (I.e., which goal line the defense will defend). Then the other team gets to choose if they want to be offense or defense.

Sillier than the XFL…

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
Re: The Spring League - Overtime
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2021, 01:55:47 AM »
This is actually an interesting system. The winner has to figure out where the loser's "limit yard line" is and compare that to their own, and then make a decision based on that. I guess a safe choice is to have team A to start at A-40, that probably has around 50/50 chance of being successful, assuming the first score wins. Move it closer for team A and the opponent will choose offense, move it further away and they will choose defense.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 05:59:33 AM »
College BB tournaments and Stanley Cup playoffs are on right now so it is hard to commit much time to watching that level of FB.  I've not caught that aspect of TSL yet.  Of course I'm still trying to work my mind past the official's uni.

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2021, 07:35:43 AM »
College BB tournaments and Stanley Cup playoffs are on right now so it is hard to commit much time to watching that level of FB.  I've not caught that aspect of TSL yet.  Of course I'm still trying to work my mind past the official's uni.

My Stars and my son's Pens are out, so nothing left there for me. But, boy, do I enjoy watching hockey on my 75" TV. And golf. Like being on the green with those guys. But, I digress.

So, Glanville had the ball put on the A-14... 14?  Why not A-10? or A-15? He was D-coord @ Hawaii for a while, and approached me after the opening kickoff of a game saying, "Now, I don't want to seem like an [anal passage], but..."  Opening kickoff. Geez. 
Mumme has always been a strange guy, with that d--- towel around his neck.

The replay official in that game pretty well ran that show. He hardly let the R get in a word edge-wise. Made the R appear a bit 'lacking.' Wouldn't care, if wasn't being broadcast to the world.

Ah. Minor leagues. Don't ya love 'em?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 08:25:44 AM by ElvisLives »

Offline CW123

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2021, 08:42:30 AM »
Did y’all see that overtime coin toss and choices? What a bizarre system. Team with first choice chooses the yard line - any yard line - and which direction Team A will be heading (I.e., which goal line the defense will defend). Then the other team gets to choose if they want to be offense or defense.

Sillier than the XFL…

This OT format was actually the proposal the Ravens & Eagles made this offseason to the rules committee

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2021, 12:02:42 PM »
For the NFL, treat it just like a regular 15:00 period. Have a kickoff - everything. But, but BOTH teams have an opportunity for possession. I.e., Deadskins kickoff to Cowheads. Play continues by rule, except both teams must get the opportunity to score a TD. If the Cowheads score a TD, then they kickoff to the Deadskins, so the Deadskins have the opportunity to score a TD. If, after both teams have had the opportunity to score TD, and they are still tied, play continues as any other period, until one team takes the lead (after a try, if a TD is scored).

Example:
Deadskins kick off. Cowheads return kick to the B-40. Cowheads have scrimmage series at the B-40. Cowheads score a TD, plus a Try field goal. Cowheads up by 7. Cowheads kick off to the Deadskins (touchback). Deadskins get a scrimmage series at their 20. Deadskins score a TD, plus a Try field goal, to tie. Play continues as normal. But, the next team to score wins.

Example:
Deadskins kick off. Cowheads return kickoff for a TD, plus score a Try field goal. Cowheads kick off to Deadskins - touchback.  Deadskins have a series from their 20. They fail to score after a 4th down. Game over, Cowheads win.

Example:
Deadskins kick off. Cowheads return kick to the B-30. Cowheads have scrimmage series at the B-30. Cowheads fail to score, and punt on 4th down. Deadskins begin a series at the B-15. Deadskins kick a field goal. Game over, Deadskins win.

Just like hockey, play continues for up to 15:00. Then a 10 minute break, and do it all over, if necessary.

What's wrong with that?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 02:50:02 PM by ElvisLives »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2021, 08:18:00 PM »
For the NFL, treat it just like a regular 15:00 period. Have a kickoff - everything. But, but BOTH teams have an opportunity for possession. I.e., Deadskins kickoff to Cowheads. Play continues by rule, except both teams must get the opportunity to score a TD. If the Cowheads score a TD, then they kickoff to the Deadskins, so the Deadskins have the opportunity to score a TD. If, after both teams have had the opportunity to score TD, and they are still tied, play continues as any other period, until one team takes the lead (after a try, if a TD is scored).

Example:
Deadskins kick off. Cowheads return kick to the B-40. Cowheads have scrimmage series at the B-40. Cowheads score a TD, plus a Try field goal. Cowheads up by 7. Cowheads kick off to the Deadskins (touchback). Deadskins get a scrimmage series at their 20. Deadskins score a TD, plus a Try field goal, to tie. Play continues as normal. But, the next team to score wins.

Example:
Deadskins kick off. Cowheads return kickoff for a TD, plus score a Try field goal. Cowheads kick off to Deadskins - touchback.  Deadskins have a series from their 20. They fail to score after a 4th down. Game over, Cowheads win.

Example:
Deadskins kick off. Cowheads return kick to the B-30. Cowheads have scrimmage series at the B-30. Cowheads fail to score, and punt on 4th down. Deadskins begin a series at the B-15. Deadskins kick a field goal. Game over, Deadskins win.

Just like hockey, play continues for up to 15:00. Then a 10 minute break, and do it all over, if necessary.

What's wrong with that?

This is what I've always pushed for, and it was the Arena League OT rules too. The whole "except if the first team scores a TD" thing is dumb. Both teams should get at least one play from scrimmage, unless they score on the free kick or a turnover.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2021, 06:12:16 AM »
The NFL OT rule was yet another “made for TV” compromise that was passed as part of the “3-hour window” philosophy.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2021, 02:08:36 PM »
The NFL OT rule was yet another “made for TV” compromise that was passed as part of the “3-hour window” philosophy.

Easily fixed if they would bring back some more balance with the run game.

Offline OkieZebra

• FAN REACTION: +3/-1
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2021, 09:40:38 PM »
Didn't watch any of it, but I'm a big fan of "you cut, I choose" in general, and think that it's a good idea in theory. (But I also think high seeds in the playoffs should have to pick the team they'll play out of the other teams who made the playoffs)