Author Topic: Reporting Penalties to the White Hat  (Read 3807 times)

Offline IDOfficial21

• FAN REACTION: +4/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Reporting Penalties to the White Hat
« on: August 30, 2021, 05:22:24 PM »
Hey everyone. I'm a second year official in the state of Idaho and I had a question that maybe you all can help with.

I feel like the speed of the game has started to slow down and I have started to see more of the penalties that I didn't see in year 1. I've got to the point that I getting the foul but not getting the jersey number of the offending player to report to the white hat or the coach of the opposing team.

Does anyone else have this problem or have had it in the past? I'm looking for anything that will help improve my officiating and how I work the wings. Thanks in advance everyone!

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: Reporting Penalties to the White Hat
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 05:27:20 PM »
It’s common to most new officials. When I first started I had to make a concentrated effort to get a number with the foul. Still have to sometimes. I don’t know if any tricks to use. Just focus and remind yourself constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 06:48:27 PM »
It’s common to most new officials. When I first started I had to make a concentrated effort to get a number with the foul. Still have to sometimes. I don’t know if any tricks to use. Just focus and remind yourself constantly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sound advice, be as calm as possible and report directly & privately to the Referee, apart from players (as much as practical).  This will allow the R to assist you in explaining the details necessary.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 07:50:56 PM »
Had someone give me this advice just today on here (in the Texas section, but definitely relevant):

A trick I was taught as a wing is when receiver comes out to say” 21 red on 86 white” or something similar. Helps to remember at least the numbers for those guys. As far as other numbers deadball officiate and keep the fouling player in view and then see his number.

Offline Logical

• FAN REACTION: +5/-12
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2021, 09:36:16 PM »
I'd guess that everyone has had that problem when starting. After you see a foul and throw your flag there is still much work to be done during the play, especially if long play. It's more important to continue to officiate than getting the number. That said, similar to what dbobby mentioned, as I'm throwing my flag I'm quietly verbalizing (i.e. 15-red); that helps me.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 09:38:11 PM by Logical »

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2021, 11:53:44 PM »
Say the number of the fouling player out loud to yourself.  You'll never forget it.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2021, 05:44:05 AM »
Welcome, new Idaho official, to our forum. I hope you find it both informative and enjoyable. Yours is a common hurdle for many new officials. The flagging ^flag of a foul doesn't stop there. There are four W's you need to report to the white hat :

WHAT : WHAT foul did you see?

WHERE : WHERE did the foul occur? That may be the enforcement spot the umpire will measure from.

WHEN : WHEN did it occur? Before, during or after the play..before or after change of possession.

WHO : WHO committed the foul, team & number. Having a number will show the ref that you saw the whole play and tell the coach who to scold.

You are off to a good start as you asked for help. Please let us know how your season goes.

PS : IMHO, Maine potatoes are better than Idaho potatoes  :)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2021, 07:39:59 AM »
During the pregame meeting, I always tell each coach that “We’ll do the best we can to get a number on any fouls by your team, but we can’t stop officiating just to pick up a number.”

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2021, 08:00:04 AM »
With few exceptions, the white hats I work with are very ‘no number, no foul’.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2021, 08:06:57 AM »
i get that, and insist my crew bring a number to me with the foul, but there are times when it's impossible. A facemask in the pile comes to mind. i've had those rare instances when I could tell the runner was grabbed by the facemask by his opponent, but couldn't identify the specific culprit. in those instances, I still marked it off..

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 08:09:05 AM »

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 08:27:22 AM »
Isn't that a lobster?
Idaho, being landlocked, can compare potatoes vs potatoes. Critters of the sea, if ya' ain't got no sea you'd need to git 'em in the mail.Ayuh, 'spect so :)

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 08:56:18 AM »
Hey everyone. I'm a second year official in the state of Idaho and I had a question that maybe you all can help with.

I feel like the speed of the game has started to slow down and I have started to see more of the penalties that I didn't see in year 1. I've got to the point that I getting the foul but not getting the jersey number of the offending player to report to the white hat or the coach of the opposing team.

Does anyone else have this problem or have had it in the past? I'm looking for anything that will help improve my officiating and how I work the wings. Thanks in advance everyone!

thanks for asking that question!  I have the same problem (3rd year official). The responses to your question are very helpful to me as well  and this is a great place to share experiences and get feedback. Check back often as I do and you will find a lot of good information that is rule based and then 'spirit' of the rule based

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2021, 10:24:18 AM »
i get that, and insist my crew bring a number to me with the foul, but there are times when it's impossible.

Yes the facemask in the pile comes to mind.  The ultra- fun one is Illegal Formation, +4 in the backfield. 

"Who was the foul on?"
"I dunno coach."
"You have to give me a number!"
"You'll have to figure that one out when you look at the film."

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2021, 11:13:52 AM »
Idaho, being landlocked, can compare potatoes vs potatoes. Critters of the sea, if ya' ain't got no sea you'd need to git 'em in the mail.Ayuh, 'spect so :)

Worked a game at Boise State some years ago, and went to dinner at some decent sit-down place on Friday evening. I ordered a baked potato as a side with my steak, and was told told, "I'm sorry. We are out of potatoes." How the heck do you run out of potatoes in Idaho? ???

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2021, 11:42:34 AM »
Yes the facemask in the pile comes to mind.  The ultra- fun one is Illegal Formation, +4 in the backfield. 

"Who was the foul on?"
"I dunno coach."
"You have to give me a number!"
"You'll have to figure that one out when you look at the film."
We had one late in an out-or-reach game, with all the bench-enders in. The QB barked his signals and everyone started on the correct count EXCEPT the snapper ,who forgot to snap the ball. I was mic'd  and couldn't resist but announcing : " False start on everyone except the center. :)" Even his coach had a chuckle.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2021, 12:32:36 PM »
On those I just tell the coach it was a "failure to snap" foul. ;D

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2021, 04:07:24 PM »
I talk to myself during the play.  If I'm keying #72 I'm saying stuff like, "The ball is snapped,  #72 steps back and blocks below the waist, hey #58 is blocking the same player up high, I have a chop block."  By talking to myself about what I'm see it ensures I have seen the entire action and not the after effect.  Then it's easier to describe and get numbers to the R.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2021, 05:29:45 PM »
Sometimes if you look at the players sometimes they will have a guilty look and even admit they committed the foul
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2021, 05:31:09 PM »
I talk to myself during the play.  If I'm keying #72 I'm saying stuff like, "The ball is snapped,  #72 steps back and blocks below the waist, hey #58 is blocking the same player up high, I have a chop block."  By talking to myself about what I'm see it ensures I have seen the entire action and not the after effect.  Then it's easier to describe and get numbers to the R.

I tried to do it in my head but sometimes, I would sound like Rainman!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Matt

• FAN REACTION: +17/-3
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2021, 10:21:38 AM »
Worked a game at Boise State some years ago, and went to dinner at some decent sit-down place on Friday evening. I ordered a baked potato as a side with my steak, and was told told, "I'm sorry. We are out of potatoes." How the heck do you run out of potatoes in Idaho? ???

Wife came home one day and said she couldn't work because the phones were down. She works for the phone company. :o

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2021, 11:10:01 AM »
Wife came home one day and said she couldn't work because the phones were down. She works for the phone company. :o

Years ago, living in the dorm in college, 5 hours from home, long before cell phones and internet, and you had to pay extra for long distance calls, my mother sends me a letter, and asks me if I had my older brother's new address. If not, let her know and she would send it to me.  Uh, Mom.... Why not just go ahead and give it to me in this letter, i.e., "...if you don't have it, here it is." End of issue.  ;)

She was a great mother, rest her soul. I am what I am because of her and Dad.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2021, 08:57:28 AM »
Sometimes if you look at the players sometimes they will have a guilty look and even admit they committed the foul

They will also rat each other out.

"27, was that you that got his facemask?"

""No sir, it was number 34."
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline ElvisLives

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2021, 10:39:01 AM »
Back to reporting fouls to the Referee, the best thing you can do is report it in much the same way he would announce it. Something like:
"Offside, number 34, defense. He was in the neutral zone at the snap."
"False start, number 78, offense. He started early."
"Facemask, number 99, defense."
"Pass Interference, number 88, offense."
"During the runback, illegal block below the waist, number 37, receiving team."
"Kick catch interference, number 55, kicking team."
"Illegal formation, more than four in the backfield, offense; holding, number 45, defense - before the ball was thrown, he tackled a receiver."

As much as possible, use "Offense, defense, kicking team, receiving team, passing team, fumbling team, return team, or the actual team names (Central, Johnson, State, etc.).
Avoid "colors." Never use "Team A" or "Team B."

After the initial report, the R may need to know the actual spot of the foul, so be ready to give him that info. Then stand nearby, off to the side, but in his sight, as he gives his announcement, in case he needs to be reminded of the number(s), and the down number.

Offline Bruisbe

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2021, 09:05:58 AM »

Similar situation happened at the NFL Thursday night season opener. It was a false start penalty. They usually get a number, but like 4 people false started.

Umpire: "False start on. Entire offensive line. 5 yard penalty, repeat 1st down." (Or whatever down they were on)

I was dying laughing and my wife couldnt understand what I found so funny.