Author Topic: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci  (Read 33386 times)

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46
Re: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci
« Reply #150 on: July 27, 2020, 12:35:29 PM »
I am going to approach this as a debate coach/official as opposed to giving opinion as much as I can. 

4.  The President’s adviser early on admitted that the President relies on alternative facts which can be demonstrated easily by the sharpie incident with the hurricane.  The President makes up facts to suit him.  Is this who we need to lead a governmental response to a pandemic?  There is a truism that someone who is a demonstrated teller of falsehoods can be disregarded on future incidents.

Yep, nothing political or opinionated in this statement.  Have you every known a politician who hasn't/doesn't lie? Have you ever lied? Yes?, then, you Sir, are a liar. 

Offline js in sc

• FAN REACTION: +17/-7
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #151 on: July 27, 2020, 12:51:47 PM »
Yep, nothing political or opinionated in this statement.  Have you every known a politician who hasn't/doesn't lie? Have you ever lied? Yes?, then, you Sir, are a liar.
Haven't you noticed.  Individuals with these strong political beliefs can not be shamed or convinced.  Remember, they live by the philosophy: never let the facts get in the way of your personal opinions.  To argue with them is fruitless.

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #152 on: July 27, 2020, 01:09:42 PM »

You're right. Nothing political or opinionated.... just facts.  :sTiR:

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #153 on: July 27, 2020, 07:26:36 PM »

This is yet another use of a logical fallacy, Tu quoque.  Look it up if interested.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #154 on: July 31, 2020, 12:47:45 PM »
Alabama high schools to play as scheduled.  Time-outs lengthened to two minutes.  One captain per team at coin toss.

serious question - what is the (health?) benefit of longer timeouts? 

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #155 on: July 31, 2020, 06:21:12 PM »
serious question - what is the (health?) benefit of longer timeouts?

If the players are no longer allowed to share water bottles they will have to have their very own personal water container so it will take them extra time to find it and get a drink.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #156 on: August 05, 2020, 02:28:11 PM »
I stole this from another source and thought it was pretty interesting based on what we hear from the media.  I haven't had a chance to verify it, but I trust the source. 

If you add Britain, France, Spain, Germany, Belgium and Italy together you get somewhere close population wise to the US.

USA pop. 331,187,544
Euro pop. 335,821,468

Total cases
USA - 4,918420
Euro - 1,381,902

Deaths
USA - 160,290
Euro - 159,356

Total tests
USA - 61,619,037
Euro - 43,708,630

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
« Reply #157 on: August 18, 2020, 04:55:51 PM »
If the players are no longer allowed to share water bottles they will have to have their very own personal water container so it will take them extra time to find it and get a drink.

I worked a scrimmage on Saturday and they were bringing the regular water bottles out to let us get a drink.  They were the same bottles the players were using.  I'm not sure if this will change when games begin, but they didn't seem to worried about it in a scrimmage. 

I don't remember the brand of bottle it was, but they were like this:

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #158 on: August 18, 2020, 10:58:06 PM »
I worked a scrimmage on Saturday and they were bringing the regular water bottles out to let us get a drink.  They were the same bottles the players were using.  I'm not sure if this will change when games begin, but they didn't seem to worried about it in a scrimmage. 

Yep.  Same thing at the two I went to.  At least the water girl had a mask on but the players were all putting their lips all over those bottles.  We had our own ice chest with water that we provided for ourselves.  That may be the way to go.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2020, 02:46:12 PM »
I bought a green bottle like that and made my own.  I better not catch them drinking out of it on the sidelines.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 02:47:46 PM by dammitbobby »

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #160 on: August 23, 2020, 06:42:23 PM »
Been pondering this for a while.
Hockey is nothing more than shoulder pads, helmets and a stick to beat each other with. Same exact close quarters as football. With one exception....

Playing on ice.

Zero positive test results, more than 700 tests run.

Maybe everybody has this all wrong.

It all goes away this winter.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #161 on: August 28, 2020, 09:49:03 AM »
There are two (well, three, but two are directly related) statistics that I don't think anyone has proffered, that could be major factors in how this whole COVID 19 thing is viewed.
1a) What is the relationship of the level of illness of COVID 19 positive patients to their smoking history?
1b) What is the relationship of deaths of COVID 19 positive patients to their smoking history?

2) What average level of illness is experienced by all COVID 19 positive patients?

Being a disease that has a direct impact on the pulmonary system, I can't help but think that those that have a history of smoking are not only at risk of greater 'suffering' from the disease, but also from death, exacerbated by the disease. I'd really like to know the answer to this one, because tobacco is the only legal product on the market in the USA that, when used as directed, will kill you (on its own - never mind COVID 19). Nearly a half-million people in the US die from smoking annually (including second-hand smoke), yet, no one is calling for the heads of our legislators or governmental executives over this issue. According to CDC information, annual deaths from smoking are continuing to increase - not plateau or decrease. Where is the outrage? I can't help but think there is a direct relationship between smoking and the total death rate of COVID 19 patients.

And, to what level of illness does the average COVID 19 patient suffer? I don't know that, but I'd sure like to know. The half-dozen folks that I know, personally, that have tested positive for COVID 19 never suspected they had it to begin with, and were able to carry on with life as usual, with only the most minimal of effects. The worst effect any of them reported was the loss of taste for 1/2 of a day.
Yes, there are a lot of folks that suffer far more seriously than these folks. But, I suspect minimal effects are far, far more typical than those that suffer the more serious effects. But all we get are statistics on numbers of new positive cases, recoveries, and deaths. How about statistics on the level of illness experienced? If they used a scale of 1 (almost no effects) to 10 (critical effects), I'd be willing to bet we'd see the average level of illness for all of those that test positive for COVID 19 (across the country) to be somewhere between 1 and 2. If we knew that statistic, we probably wouldn't be nearly as afraid. 

While COVID may be a topical issue, it will go away. I'm not a doctor or a biomedical expert, but, based on what I see being reported, IMHO, this time next year, COVID 19 will be totally under control - not totally eradicated, perhaps (that may never happen) - but truly under control, and the country will be completely back to normal. And, IMHO, nothing anyone - ANYONE - could have, would have, done would change this.

I'm not interested in a "new normal." I want to get back to the true normal. I want to get rid of the useless, ineffective masks (I do wear them, where/when requested). I want to go to a new movie. I want to go to concerts (Vince Gill, The Eagles, oh, yeah). I want to work a football game with a wild, enthusiastic crowd, shoulder-to-shoulder in the stands.

Let's encourage our elected leaders to PUSH for a vaccine before the end of the year. I'll volunteer to be a test subject, right now.

In the mean time, I will continue to live life as true normal as I possibly can. Which means - I GOTTA GAME TONIGHT! Yeah. Let's get after it.

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
« Reply #162 on: August 30, 2020, 05:54:53 PM »
While we have been told that most Covid deaths were from people with underlying medical conditions, I didn't expect it to be this high of a percentage. 

CDC: 94% of Covid-19 deaths had underlying medical conditions

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #163 on: August 30, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
I bought a green bottle like that and made my own.  I better not catch them drinking out of it on the sidelines.

In our game, water girls brought out cups of water during time outs.  There were also trays of water filled cups on the sideline.

Offline TxSkyBolt

« Reply #164 on: August 30, 2020, 06:39:19 PM »
While we have been told that most Covid deaths were from people with underlying medical conditions, I didn't expect it to be this high of a percentage. 

CDC: 94% of Covid-19 deaths had underlying medical conditions

It doesn’t seem like the data is being used at  all to make decisions in regards to Covid. Here’s the CDC link with demographic breakdowns. Only 6% of Covid coded deaths are characterized as Covid only deaths. The other 94% linked to Covid had, on average, an additional 2.6 comorbidities.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid_weekly/index.htm

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #165 on: August 31, 2020, 08:42:10 AM »
But I think this is where it starts to get confusing, and context/causation matters.

If someone has a weakened immune system from chemo for lung cancer, and they get pneumonia and die, was the cause of death pneumonia, or lung cancer?  I am almost positive that the American Cancer Society counts that as a lung cancer death.

Another example - if a hemophiliac (can't stop bleeding very easily) gets shot in the foot, and bleeds out, did he die from the GSW or hemophilia? 

The point is, almost all deaths have multiple factors that can all be attributed to the death; to single out just one as THE cause of ignoring the reality that causes can (and almost always are) intertwined.  Statistics can be manipulated by anyone, for any reason, and should always be viewed with skepticism, not necessarily because they are trying to be misleading, but that they can easily be misleading without context and additional information.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #166 on: October 27, 2020, 04:46:02 PM »

Unless they are sucking on the nipple ...... how close is too close? Never seen a player, Official or Coach suck it down ....