Football Officiating > Texas Topics

Good experience

(1/10) > >>

ElvisLives:
I know I tend to whine, so I want to 'offset' that, a bit, by saying that we had an exceptional experience last Friday night.  Good teams. Big crowds (relatively speaking). Cool, but calm, dry weather. A very good plastic grass field. Very good, well played game. And - drum roll, please - OUTSTANDING clock operators. The young lady working the play clock was perfect. I wish we could have her on the play clock every week.
Easy trip. Easy game. No stress. It was ALL good.

We'll get to try again this weekend. Hope all goes as well. Hope it does for all of you, too.

TexDoc:
I had two teams playing at a neutral site.  We knew we had problems at the opening kickoff when the play clock operator didn't start the clock on the ready, then set it on 40 after the kickoff and left it there.  Within two series, I stopped the game and fired him.  I told both coaches and one was quite upset saying they paid for a turnkey operation, including experienced clock operators.  I told him he should get his money back, but in the mean time, the play clocks are being turned off. 

CosmoKramer:

--- Quote from: TexDoc on November 22, 2021, 08:44:19 AM ---I had two teams playing at a neutral site.  We knew we had problems at the opening kickoff when the play clock operator didn't start the clock on the ready, then set it on 40 after the kickoff and left it there.  Within two series, I stopped the game and fired him.  I told both coaches and one was quite upset saying they paid for a turnkey operation, including experienced clock operators.  I told him he should get his money back, but in the mean time, the play clocks are being turned off.

--- End quote ---

Doc, I'm happy to read that you fired the play clock operator.  I've done that before as well only to have that individual come into the locker room at halftime and ask why?  It was very gratifying, at that time, to be able to tell him it's because he doesn't know what he's doing and causing problems with the game flow.  He then tried to tell us that we don't understand when the play clock is supposed to start after every play.  We simply laughed at him and ended the discussion with me saying "thanks for proving my point".  It's so frustrating when a venue uses clock operators who refuse to know what needs to be done correctly.

Txgarza:
At my sons playoff game this pat Friday, the R would set the play clock to 40 (double hand pump) after a change of position. I told the PCO he was right and I knew he was only doing what he was told. He shrugged his shoulders. There were other issues with this crew but Iíll leave it at that. Another note, my playoff game week 1 the coach was arguing that the play clock was starting too fast. He said the ball wasnít even set by the U yet when it started. I was a little shocked but relayed how it worked in between plays. I donít think he believed me.

TexDoc:
Is it time to give the B a remote play clock start/stop switch?  I think so.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version