Football Officiating > NCAA Discussion

Video 6 BBW

(1/2) > >>

copedaddy:
It seems there is a conflict in what Shaw says about the defense BBW. The player is outside the TB and by rule cannot be block low, Right?

copedaddy:
After watching several time it finally occurred to me he is talking about the offensive lineman, not the defense. I would think that they could find more footage of blocks that would now be be a foul.

ElvisLives:
One thing that I would say is a clarification is the example of the offensive lineman rising from a crouched stance at the snap, taking a half-step back, then diving at the opponent. Shaw says this is to be considered "initial charge," so he would still be allowed to block below the waist from the side (although, in the example, his block is from the front, which would be legal, even after his initial charge). I was wondering if such 'rising' action before diving was to be considered a 'second action,' thus, eliminating the side block. But this clearly tells us otherwise. 

But, this is distinct from a lineman that rises, takes a pass blocking stance, and begins his effort to 'push block' the opponent. At that point, his initial charge is expended, and he would no longer be allowed to block below the waist from the side.

I believe the first practices began in Texas yesterday. I heard that a Head Coach was talking with an official and asked if there were any new rules.  hEaDbAnG  Well, I guess that's better than during the referee/coach conference for their first game. But, I'd bet something like that happens, too. More likely: Referee: "Coach, you are aware of the new blocking below the waist rules - right?" Coach: "What new rules?" ::)

JasonTX:

--- Quote from: ElvisLives on August 02, 2022, 09:34:23 AM ---One thing that I would say is a clarification is the example of the offensive lineman rising from a crouched stance at the snap, taking a half-step back, then diving at the opponent. Shaw says this is to be considered "initial charge," so he would still be allowed to block below the waist from the side (although, in the example, his block is from the front, which would be legal, even after his initial charge). I was wondering if such 'rising' action before diving was to be considered a 'second action,' thus, eliminating the side block. But this clearly tells us otherwise. 

But, this is distinct from a lineman that rises, takes a pass blocking stance, and begins his effort to 'push block' the opponent. At that point, his initial charge is expended, and he would no longer be allowed to block below the waist from the side.

I believe the first practices began in Texas yesterday. I heard that a Head Coach was talking with an official and asked if there were any new rules.  hEaDbAnG  Well, I guess that's better than during the referee/coach conference for their first game. But, I'd bet something like that happens, too. More likely: Referee: "Coach, you are aware of the new blocking below the waist rules - right?" Coach: "What new rules?" ::)

--- End quote ---

My plan is to get both teams during the scrimmages and line them up with everyone watching and show them the who, what, when, and where of BBW.

Etref:
I can hear it now,,
Well that just ruins our blocking schemes we have been working on, that is not what I had heard, etc

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version