Author Topic: ITP Play  (Read 1625 times)

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
ITP Play
« on: June 21, 2021, 07:25:05 AM »
Ruling?

2nd/8 A-32. A88 voluntarily steps out of bounds on A's 33. A16's legal forward pass is tipped by A22 on A's 38. A88 returns inbounds and pushes B94 in the back on A's 36. A88 catches the pass while grounded on A's 39.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
Re: ITP Play
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2021, 08:26:30 AM »
A88 loses eligibility because he goes out on his own. His block on B94 is not OPI because the pass had been touched by A22. However, it is a foul for an illegal block in the back. If he had been eligible to touch the pass, he would be allowed to block an opponent in the back in an effort to get to that pass. Since he’s ineligible, he is no longer allowed to do so. He then touches the pass without it being touched by a Team B player or official, so we have another foul for illegal touching. Team B can either take the ITP and make it 3/8 @ A-32 or the IBB and make it 2/18 @ A-22.

Offline Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2021, 08:39:11 AM »
I should have added the reasoning for the enforcement. Because A88’s IBB occurs during the pass, the basic spot is still the previous spot. Because it is a foul by the team in possession beyond the basic spot, the 10 yard is enforced from the basic spot.

Offline JDM

• FAN REACTION: +5/-4
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2021, 11:45:24 AM »
A88 loses eligibility because he goes out on his own. His block on B94 is not OPI because the pass had been touched by A22. However, it is a foul for an illegal block in the back. If he had been eligible to touch the pass, he would be allowed to block an opponent in the back in an effort to get to that pass. Since he’s ineligible, he is no longer allowed to do so. He then touches the pass without it being touched by a Team B player or official, so we have another foul for illegal touching. Team B can either take the ITP and make it 3/8 @ A-32 or the IBB and make it 2/18 @ A-22.

I agree but not everyone does, advising A88 has "re-established, therefore may block in the back since the ball was touched by another player".

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2021, 01:08:43 PM »
If it had been touched by B he could re-establish but not a touch by teammate
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline FBOfficialSJ

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2021, 02:13:47 PM »
"A88 loses eligibility because he goes out on his own."

So if A88 was pushed OOB, he would still be an eligible receiver, but because he went out on his own he loses eligibility?  Am I reading that correctly?

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2021, 03:04:15 PM »
So if A88 was pushed OOB, he would still be an eligible receiver, but because he went out on his own he loses eligibility?  Am I reading that correctly?

When a Team A player loses his eligibility during a down by going OB, or by being out of bounds, voluntarily, he cannot regain eligibility until the pass has been touched by a Team B player or an official.

Note that an originally eligible Team A player that is blocked (as defined) out of bounds by an opponent, regains his eligibility if he returns inbounds immediately (as soon as he possibly can). However, if he remains OB longer than he might be able to return inbounds, now he is OB voluntarily, and he has lost his eligibility, until the ball is touched by B/official.

FYI, by philosophy, virtually any contact by an eligible A player with/by a B player is to be considered a “block”.

Despite those that may think otherwise, in the down offered, A88 is not eligible, and, thus, may not block in the back.

FYI, some folks are using the term “re-establish,” but that term only has to do with whether or not a player is inbounds or OB. An OB player certainly is not eligible, but, even if he “re-establishes” himself inbounds, he still may not be eligible, depending on why he was OB.

Finally, from a mechanics standpoint, a hat is to be dropped in the OB area to signify an originally eligible A player OB, whether voluntarily or blocked.

Offline FBOfficialSJ

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2021, 06:26:11 PM »
Excellent Recap Elvis.....Thank you!