Author Topic: S/B Quiz 11  (Read 2024 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
S/B Quiz 11
« on: November 12, 2021, 06:27:33 AM »
Not too tough, but relevant.

1. 3/15 @ B-35. QB A12 takes the snap and drops back to throw downfield. A88 is the primary receiver, and he is held by B21 at the B-25. A12, after surveying the field and finding A88 covered, tucks the ball and runs to the B-33 where he is tackled.
RULING:  A, 3/3, B-23, ready (25).
Since there was not a legal forward pass that crossed the NZ, the 10-yard penalty for the defensive holding foul by B21 is enforced according to 3 & 1 from the related Basic Spot, the end of A12’s run (B-33), taking the ball to the B-23., and the down is repeated.

2. 3/4 @ A-31. The offense is in shotgun formation and is using a clap as their starting signal. Just before the snap, linebacker B54 claps his hands to get the defensive line to slide to the left and in reaction to B-54’s clap, RG A68 false starts.
RULING:  A, 1/10, A-36, (clock status quo) (25)
B54 commits a dead-ball (pre-snap) delay of game foul for disconcerting signals. The 5-yard penalty from the succeeding spot takes the ball to the A-36, resulting in a first down for Team A. The clock status at the time of the foul was not provided, so the clock status will be whatever it was when the foul occurred.

3. 3/Goal @ B-9. Team A is snapping from the right hash and QB A12 throws a fade route to A88 in the left corner of the end zone. The pass falls incomplete, but B21 contacts and impedes A88’s opportunity to make a play on the catchable pass eight yards deep in the end zone. (Include the lateral ball position in your answer.)
RULING:  A, 1/G, B-2 (right hash mark), snap (25).
Since the DPI foul by B21 occurred beyond the B-2, the penalty is enforced FROM THE SUCCEEDING SPOT (B-9, right hash), to the B-2, with a first down.

4. 3/Goal @ B-9. Team A is snapping from the right hash and QB A12 throws an out route to A88 in the left flat near the sideline at the B-3. The pass falls incomplete, but B21 contacts and impedes A88’s opportunity to make a play on the catchable pass at the B-3. (Include the lateral ball position in your answer.)
RULING: A,1/G, B-3 (left hash).
Since the DPI foul by B21 occurred behind the B-2, and within 15 yards of the previous spot, the penalty is a first down for Team A at the spot of the foul (B-3) (since in a side zone, relocated to the nearest hash mark).

5. 4/10 @ A-40. A90 punts, and B44 is attempting to catch the kick (no fair catch signal) at the B-20. He muffs the ball which is then caught at the B-22 by A88 who was not interfering with the opportunity of the receiver when he was in position to make the catch.
RULING: A, 1/10, B-22, snap (25).
Since the kicked ball was touched by Team B, A88’s catch of the ball is legal. Possession of a legally kicked ball beyond the NZ by Team A causes the ball to become dead. Team A’s ball at the spot of the catch. Due to the legal kick down, the play clock is set to 25 and is started on the referee’s signal and the game clock will next start on the snap.

6. 4/10 @ A-25. A90’s punt is blocked, and as the ball rolls free near the sideline, A90 bats the loose ball at the A-6 and the ball goes directly out of bounds at the A-8.
RULING: B 1/G, A-3, snap (25).
A90’s batting of the ball is forward, and illegal. The 10-yard (1/2 the distance) penalty for this foul is penalized per 3 & 1 from the Basic Spot, which is the previous spot. Since the spot of the foul is behind the Basic Spot, it is penalized from the spot of the foul, ½ the distance, taking the  ball to the B-3, plus a Loss of Down. Thus, Team B is awarded the ball, and a first down, at the spot where the penalty leaves the ball.

7. 4/10 @ A-25. A90’s punt is blocked, and as the ball rolls free near the sideline. A90 bats the loose ball at the A-6 and the ball goes directly out of bounds at the A-3.
RULING:  B, 1/G, A-3, snap (25).
A90’s batting of the ball is backward in the field of play, thus, legal. Team A failed to advance the ball beyond the LTG after 4th down; thus Team B is awarded the ball at the dead-ball spot (B-3), with a first down.

8. 4/2 @ B-12. Team A lines up in scrimmage kick formation with A12 as the holder and A90 in position to make a kick. The ball is snapped to A12 and with his right knee still down on the ground, A12 flips the ball forward to A88 who was lined up as a wing back and is just behind the snapper when he catches the ball. A88 runs to the B-9 where he is tackled.
RULING: A, 1/G, B-9, ready (40 and running).
By rule, A12 may be “grounded” when he receives the snap, because, at the snap, A90 is in position to make a kick. The ball remains alive, and A12 may then pass, hand, or rise and advance the ball. A12 advances the ball beyond the LTG; thus, Team A earns a new series at the dead-ball spot. This is a regular scrimmage down; thus, the play clock is set to 40 and is automatically started after the ball became dead on 4th down, and the game clock, stopped for the first down, next starts on the referee’s signal (whistle and wind).

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
Re: S/B Quiz 11
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2021, 04:10:47 PM »
On #8 I'm curious as to why you say whistle and wind.  Isn't it simply wind since you are starting the clock after a first down for A?

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2021, 06:52:15 PM »
On #8 I'm curious as to why you say whistle and wind.  Isn't it simply wind since you are starting the clock after a first down for A?

See the attached bulletin, item 2.

Offline Covid 22

• FAN REACTION: +6/-11
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2021, 08:55:00 AM »
Why does the R wind the clock on a run that went out of bounds? In bulletin.

I may just be having a senior moment. yEs:

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2021, 10:02:34 AM »
Why does the R wind the clock on a run that went out of bounds? In bulletin.

I may just be having a senior moment. yEs:

For NCAA games, the game clock is restarted when the ball is ready for play after the ball or BC is out of bounds, except during the last 2 minutes of the 2nd or 4th periods.

Offline TxBJ

• FAN REACTION: +9/-6
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2021, 11:34:29 AM »
See the attached bulletin, item 2.

I don't think that is the current practice in NCAA, but I could be mistaken.  Similarly, we no longer wait for the ball to be placed on the ground.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 11:40:04 AM by TxBJ »

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2021, 01:43:39 PM »
I don't think that is the current practice in NCAA, but I could be mistaken.  Similarly, we no longer wait for the ball to be placed on the ground.

Of both, I am acutely aware.
When we first got the 40-second clock, we were directed to sound our whistles and wind the clock (even before crews of 8, when the R was doing a lot of ball spotting). Not sure how it got started, but, for some reason, some folks in some parts of the country stopped sounding their whistles in these cases, and I have never figured out why. I guess it was 'cool.' I suspect it was kinda like the 'phase' that a lot of folks went through just before that time, when they were not sounding whistles at all when the ball became dead. "Oh, the play kills itself - we don't need a whistle." Baloney. Thankfully, that phase passed by the time I left FBS. Redding issued the referenced bulletin, and I thought that would put an end to NOT sounding the whistle in these cases, but the 'cool' guys just kept on, and nobody stopped 'em. So, this seems to have stuck around, although I have never seen anything in writing that says it is OK to not sound the whistle. I concede that the rules do not require a whistle in this instance (although a whistle is required by rule when we start with a 25-second play clock, or with a 40-second clock after a Team B injury or helmet off). I prefer the whistle - just a short blast - to let everyone know that the ball is ready for play. And I will continue that until formally directed otherwise.

Regarding starting the clock before the ball is on the ground, yeah, that is another thing that has developed in the last few years, and is yet another appeasement of the TV industry, to shorten the games - or, more correctly - to reduce playing time while increasing commercial time. When you look at it, the amount of time that the clock is stopped for the first down is, literally, only a very few seconds, now. Sometimes, less than 2 seconds. The NCAA appears to be OK with that. I fully expect that the NCAA will change the rule to not even stop the clock for a new Team A series. That would be better (in my mind) than 'cheating' the current rule.