Author Topic: Sideline Interference  (Read 1163 times)

Offline bcalkins12

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Sideline Interference
« on: October 01, 2021, 06:47:14 PM »
HI all,

I have officiated for several years and although with that being said I have never "had" to call or enforce sideline interference.  I have but one question when the (in the case of home team) fails to get the media out of the sideline area and a referee on your crew is adamant about calling a foul on the play.  My question is this.  During a live ball down on a long running play and the linesman or line judge doesn't matter.  When or where is the enforcement of such penalty.  If a referee is knocked out of officiating the play (as this was) obviously that is an advantage to (in this case the team who possessed and was home) the assessment will be a 15 yard penalty that is a given.  However, I enforced it from the previous spot as if it was a foul during a down.  Was this correct?  I understand it is to be an unsportsmanlike by rule.  But if we do so and the dead ball after play enforcement aren't we rewarding the team who went on a long play if fouls can occur on that sideline the official was?  Like I said I've never ever had to call this before usually this is done with preventative officiating and speaking to the sidelines during the course of the game.  I'm new to an association in WA and didn't want to overrule an official in a new area ;).  With your response or feedback please provide a rule and case for me to use as reference its what I've asked for by the local and they haven't been able to  This is for NFHS football ...btw.

Any feed back is appreciated :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 06:50:30 PM by bcalkins12 »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
Re: Sideline Interference
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2021, 12:15:09 AM »
If you have to call a foul, it would be a nonplayer foul with a succeeding spot enforcement. but if this is media and not a member of the team/coaches/support staff, I wouldn't throw a flag. I would ask game administration to remove the person from the sideline.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2021, 11:19:55 AM »
If you have to call a foul, it would be a nonplayer foul with a succeeding spot enforcement. but if this is media and not a member of the team/coaches/support staff, I wouldn't throw a flag. I would ask game administration to remove the person from the sideline.

NFHS 10-4-5-a identifies the enforcement spot for USC fouls as the succeeding spot. As for media, or other individuals not under direct team supervision, Game Mgmt/Security would be the appropriate reference.  In the event of non-compliance, or delayed response, keeping the Game Clock stopped pending full compliance may prove helpful and such behavior should be included in the game report.

This can be of particular concern when play originates within close proximity to (on both sides of) a goal line, impacting the necessary operating space of field officials.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2021, 11:23:51 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 11:28:05 PM »
^LOL