Author Topic: Inbounds: sidecourt V baseline  (Read 1818 times)

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
Inbounds: sidecourt V baseline
« on: May 15, 2022, 12:08:05 PM »
non-basketball official here.  What's the ruling? NFHS

**A driving in the lane & official calls travel. Will B inbound baseline or sidecourt?
My small mind thinks side court because ball never went out of bounds over the baseline.....

*besides a made basket, Are there there a general rules of thumb as to when inbound side court v baseline.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Inbounds: sidecourt V baseline
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2022, 09:46:05 PM »
Go to the middle of the free throw line and draw an imaginary line towards each corner of the court.  If the violation or out of bounds happens outside of that line, then you'll be on the side closest to the violation.  If inside, you'll be at the baseline.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 08:05:45 AM »
That's a good description. One small thing to add: in NFHS, the free throw semicircle is considered inside the line. This is not the case for either NCAA rule set.

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2022, 11:49:02 AM »
THX for the feedback and insight fellas.
I was at an age12 game. A traveled near the bottom of the zone, inside the zone, and B inbounded under the basket.
I thought, "gee, since the ball didn't actually go OOB under the basket, why do they do the inbound pass from the baseline?"

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2022, 03:47:15 PM »
THX for the feedback and insight fellas.
I was at an age12 game. A traveled near the bottom of the zone, inside the zone, and B inbounded under the basket.
I thought, "gee, since the ball didn't actually go OOB under the basket, why do they do the inbound pass from the baseline?"

Another thing to add is that is all this happens under the backboard area, we'll move to the side of the backboard so that there isn't a chance that the backboard will interfere with the inbound.