Author Topic: Officiating, Great Opportunity to meet interesting people.  (Read 2556 times)

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
Officiating, Great Opportunity to meet interesting people.
« on: September 06, 2015, 04:11:22 PM »
Besides the characters we meet on the sidelines on each game.

Ernest  Givens, receiver for the Arizona Cardinals. Coach and Owner of the Millionaires in Bradenton, Florida

Doug Flutie, during a televised flag game before the Super Bowl. Ran up to me and said "Play it up for the camera" while he argued a sideline call.

The Lady behind me who stated "You look great in those shorts" during the Flutie Flag game. Pittsburg Steeler Fan. I had read where Pittsburg temps were around 10 degrees that day. "You're just jealous because we dress this way year long, you can't wear these in Pittsburg today."

Outback Bowl, Wisconsin Lineman in the wing eating contest two days before the game. "Hey Ref, I'll hand you some wings during the contest, drop them behind you." Whistle to start, here came the first wing, I took the wing and leaned around the other side to put it back on the plate. Cameras caught it and commentators were laughing "See I told you Refs refuse to cheat!"

younggun

Re: Officiating, Great Opportunity to meet interesting people.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 02:13:14 PM »
I can agree... I had a U.S. President flip the coin at my game this last Saturday.

Offline yarnnelg

• FAN REACTION: +55/-37
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:59:24 PM »
We did a playoff game at Plant City, FL. Knock on the door, asked if the group could come in ... Tony Dungy. His son was playing for Plant.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2015, 07:17:04 AM »
Had an NFL Hall-of-Famer as an honorary captain last year.  Man, that guy was immense!

Offline Joe Stack

• FAN REACTION: +33/-46
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 12:52:53 PM »
I've worked a team coached by a former NFL player on several occassions. About 3 years ago during the offseason, he sees me at a Guitar Center and I hear a "hey, I know that guy..." Never been recognized by an NFL guy before!