Football Officiating > War Stories

Worst experience officiating

<< < (3/3)

yarnnelg:
I forgot one ....

1993 I believe. On Thursday, two white Police Officers, protecting their own lives open fire and killed a known drug runner during a routine traffic stop in St Petersburg. The drug runner's girlfriend was in the car and unharmed. All day Thursday followed by Friday ...the Uhuru's threatened to riot on Friday night. Someone forgot about us.

Friday Night kickoff 7pm. St Pete High School, mid second quarter a helicopter appears. Typical, fly in, land at a designated space, camera crew jumps out runs to the sideline films a few plays and then heads to the next bank of lights on. The copter doesn't land. He is circling about two blocks away. Another helicopter enters the circle, then another, then another .....Suddenly one chopper lays on it's side and slides across the sky . ....we hear brrrrrrrrt, brrrrrrrt Umpire looks at me and yells "Viet Nam helicopter pilot!"

We are puzzled .....suddenly the gates on the west side entrance open and 12 cops run in yelling for us to leave the stadium. The riot is two blocks away from us. The brrrrt sound? The owner of a gun shop had barricaded himself inside. As rioters made their way to the gun shop, he opened a hatch to the roof, stood up and opened fire in the sky, with a fully automatic AK-47.

The rioters backed off then decided to make one last play for the gun shop .....Cops arrived and emerged from their cars .....shotgun first, ready to take down a few not so brilliant rioters.

On Monday night, we had a meeting. I always sat at a table full of Black Men......Off Duty St Pete Police Officers ......One of them said "Sorry Ray, we forgot you guys had the game Friday night. It wasn't until they made the rush to the gun shop that Carl said "Get those guys out of the Stadium!"

With the open threat for two days, that game should have been postponed. Fortuntely crowd, players. Admin, directed east with a warning ...."DO NOT Come back to sight see. See it on the news"

NorCalMike:

yarnnelg:

--- Quote from: NorCalMike on November 10, 2019, 12:57:37 PM ---

--- End quote ---

Saw your video on the other post. Hope you are recovering. Note to yourself ...... mandatory attendance at the local Y to get a refresher course in dodge ball. LOL .... Best of luck Mike.

NorCalMike:

--- Quote from: yarnnelg on November 12, 2019, 01:51:31 PM ---Saw your video on the other post. Hope you are recovering. Note to yourself ...... mandatory attendance at the local Y to get a refresher course in dodge ball. LOL .... Best of luck Mike.

--- End quote ---
LOL

yarnnelg:
Four man crew. Touchdown ......try for point .....I'm standing behind the goalposts about 10 yards away. Kick up, between the uprights, over my head and into the weeds .....Start in the weeds to find the ball. Night game, bad lights ....suddenly .......Growlllllllllllllll .....I came out like shot and ran past the White Hat. "We need a new game ball" "Why?" "There is a huge Bull Gator back there with no sense of humor ....Keep looking over your back in case he decides you look good enough to eat!"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version