Football Officiating > War Stories

From the Mouths of Coaches 2019

(1/8) > >>

SCHSref:
HC told me to not allow him to call another timeout the rest of the game. They were up 40-0.

Several minutes later, their running back scored a 60 yd touchdown and spiked the ball so hard that I thought he threw it up in the air. Three  ^flag immediately come out. I ran over to the coach and told him what the deal was. He then asked if I could take the TD away.

This is the same coach that was complaining about the losing team getting too much time on the play clock. He started yelling, "23, 24, 25! That's delay of game!" I didn't have the heart to tell him it was a 40 second play clock for that particular down.

ncwingman:
I have to say that I don't understand why spiking the ball after a TD constitutes UNS -- as long as it's not at an opponent or overly dramatic and choreographed.

They're kids. They want to celebrate. Why not let them as long as it's a positive celebration?

I don't feel strongly enough to petition to make a rule change, but I understand why they'd be upset when I throw the flag.

Etref:
Youthful exuberance is a good thing, but if we let some things go it doesn’t take long before everything goes wrong.

Just my $.02

SCHSref:
Had this last night in a JV game. My position is BJ and there was an incomplete pass and the coach of A was upset I did not throw the flag for DPI. It would have been difficult for me to since the defender had his back to me and I could not see his or the receiver's hands. The coach told me that I should have called that and why did I not. Then he told me that I put my hand on the flag but didn't throw it and why did I do that. I've never had a coach tell me such specificities about something of this nature before. The LJ started laughing and said, "Coach! That is amazing! You saw everything didn't you? You saw the pass interference, the hand on the flag, him not throw it. You saw that much? Wow!"

Coach turned around and went to the sideline. This was during an injury timeout.

AlUpstateNY:

--- Quote from: ncwingman on September 28, 2019, 08:22:35 PM ---I have to say that I don't understand why spiking the ball after a TD constitutes UNS -- as long as it's not at an opponent or overly dramatic and choreographed.
--- End quote ---

The REASON is simple; Nobody wants to spend the rest of their careers arguing with coaches and players about what the fine line differences are between, "overly dramatic and choreographed" and "a positive celebration" (that either way demeans an opponent). Look at what's evolved since Homer Jones first forcibly dropped a ball in an endzone, where mature adults play the game.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version