Non-Officiating > Non-Officiating Discussion

Can't help but wonder...

<< < (3/10) > >>

bama_stripes:
AHSAA has suspended play until April 11.

Ralph Damren:
Simple thoughts about crappy things......,.

In my daze of youth , we used to visit Aunt Reba. Aunt Reba owned a farm. The farm had an outhouse. The outhouse had a thick Sears & Roebuck Catalog and a bucket of corn cobs. I lived to tell about it !

The first Coronavirus case appeared in Maine on Thursday. Our state has already cancelled the remainder of the school year for all state universities, and many of the private colleges have followed suit. The students are told that their courses can be taken on line.....SURE  ;) . The Maine Principals' Association has postponed tryouts & practice for spring sports until the end of April and canceled any event aimed at drawing a large crowd. I was scheduled to speak at a football coaches clinic yesterday. That was cancelled. I'm as disappointed as many of you with no March Madness, Celtics & Bruins heading into post-season, UMaine ice hockey hosting a post-season playoff for the first time in 10 years and UMaine women's basketball playing for the league championship.

We all love sports, be we need to realize that sports are entertainment. Many may feel that our national/state/local reaction is an over-kill. I feel it is being proactive and agree with Carol, that if this is still a problem come football season, cancelled games will be the least of our problems. After all, Sears & Roebuck no longer publishes a catalog and corn cobs are no longer treasured as much as they were in that bygone era.

TampaSteve:
this is a fascinating topic.
First, influenza affects 100x more than corona...but we have a vaccene for influenza virus, not corona.
Second: the Chinese government isnt the most transparent in the world, nor is Vietnam government (china neighbors to the south). - so this may be bigger than advertised.
Third: N1H1, aka swine, circa 2009, was very much worse than this. Thus, is it possible in today's media that there's different tactics (hype) today than we saw in 2009?

It's a different world we're in.

AlUpstateNY:
Do you think the expansion to a 24 hour news cycle, at least a Bazillion more "news" sources and additional  means of delivering what now passes for "news", has had something to do with the quality of what we receive?

js in sc:

--- Quote from: AlUpstateNY on March 16, 2020, 09:50:24 PM ---Do you think the expansion to a 24 hour news cycle, at least a Bazillion more "news" sources and additional  means of delivering what now passes for "news", has had something to do with the quality of what we receive?

--- End quote ---
That and the fact the more the media scares people, the more they will tune in to hear them pontificate about topics they know nothing about.  More viewers, more ad revenue.  And the more they can blame the President.  Turn off the "news" and read a book.  Rule book would be nice.  yEs:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version