Author Topic: More details on NFL contingency for 5-official crews emphasize passing game over  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +108/-35
That's a really interesting mechanic and I think it would work well with an offense that does a lot of (deep) passing. Yes, HL will have a tough time calling spots across the field on running plays, but R and F should be able to help - and on tight 1st down calls you have the luxury of having IR to help out.

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
It is amazing how football has evolved. It wasn’t that long ago that there was no such thing as “deeps.”  Now they seem to be getting priority over the
“core” officials.  The NFL game is mainly about passing though and DPI is probably the most scrutinized foul in the game.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +143/-137
  • The rules are there if you need them.
It is amazing how football has evolved. It wasn’t that long ago that there was no such thing as “deeps.”  Now they seem to be getting priority over the
“core” officials.  The NFL game is mainly about passing though and DPI is probably the most scrutinized foul in the game.

I am very glad they removed PI from the items that can be reviewed by Replay. That can of worms should have never been opened. Glad they got the lid back on.

Online bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +271/-25
Honestly, I would do 5 man with R, HL, LJ, SJ, FJ if they were not going to use a U.  They want the FJ calling everything OOB and getting spots?  Who is going to get a spot when the runner goes OOB on the open sideline?  R?

Offline Sonofanump

• FAN REACTION: +8/-3
Honestly, I would do 5 man with R, HL, LJ, SJ, FJ if they were not going to use a U.  They want the FJ calling everything OOB and getting spots?  Who is going to get a spot when the runner goes OOB on the open sideline?  R?

Forgot about that U in backfield, I like this for five person

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +17/-30
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
From the link:  "At the high-school level, the officiating mechanics for a crew of 5 create balance with the linesman and umpire (behind the defensive line) monitoring line play and two deep officials keying on receiver sets."

That is not the mechanic in Ohio.  Does any state do that?