Author Topic: Tampa Bay- Green Bay  (Read 2399 times)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Tampa Bay- Green Bay
« on: January 24, 2021, 03:52:48 PM »
Correct me if I’m wrong, but no fouls at all in this game, so far  13:00 (3).

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Tampa Bay- Green Bay
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2021, 11:20:25 AM »
None called.  ;)

Could have had one on the interception by TB, but if you're letting them play an aggressive game all around, like they were, you let that go.  That late 4th quarter DPI has to be called, when you stretch his shirt out a foot and a half LOL.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2021, 12:52:26 PM »
Opinions on :

(1) GB's intentional offside just prior to 2 minute warning in 4th;
  (2) GB's choice for FG when down by 8;
  (3) Rogers choice to pass into a crowd when road to paydirt looked clear on previous play;
  (4) Did Brady's year answer the question : "Who was more responsible for Pat's success, coach or QB?"
  (5) Who will win the Super Bowl ????

:sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: :sTiR: (7-man crew)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2021, 01:09:51 PM »
1) I didn't see this one (probably getting more food to shove in my mouth in despair)

2) I'm ok with going for the FG.  I don't know what the likelihood of 2 pt conversion is in the NFL, but it's low enough that most teams won't try it frequently.  If you get it, great!  But odds are, you don't, and then you still have to kick a FG anyways.  (I think it's great they moved the XP attempts back a few years ago, would be even better if they made them kick 45 yarders, or whatever distance is roughly favorable in probability to a successful 2pt conversion)

3)  I don't think he had a clear path... I thought there were 2 defenders on receivers, who would have come up and lit him up before he could get there.

4) Turned it off before it was officially over

5) Chiefs

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 01:19:48 AM »
Opinions on :

Good coaching from GB, terrible coaching from TB for not declining the penalty.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +99/-283
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 01:24:20 PM »
        Not sure that the NFL has anything  in the rules to cover this outside 2 mins, but I agree with Kalle, decline the penalty
  (2) GB's choice for FG when down by 8;
        Major tactical error not to go for the tie then give Brady the ball back very late in a game when his team is ahead
  (3) Rogers choice to pass into a crowd when road to paydirt looked clear on previous play;
        Sure did look like he could almost score or at least get very close.
  (4) Did Brady's year answer the question : "Who was more responsible for Pat's success, coach or QB?"
        Not at all.  IMHO they are both the very best at what they do.  The Pats got clobbered by Covid19 and the salary cap convergence.
  (5) Who will win the Super Bowl?
        Tough not to like KC with Mahomes, but I would not bet money against Tampa Bay with Brady.
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline MAFBRef

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
  • Make every game a great game. And, don't get hurt
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 01:49:29 PM »
From 2020 NFL Rule Book (I placed asterisks at the pertinent section)

ARTICLE 2. SCRIMMAGE DOWN
Following any timeout (3-37-1), the game clock shall be started on a scrimmage down when the ball is next snapped, except in the following situations:

Whenever a runner goes out of bounds on a play from scrimmage, the game clock is started when an official spots the ball at the inbounds spot, and the Referee gives the signal to start the game clock, except that the clock will start on the snap:
after a change of possession;
after the two-minute warning of the first half; or
inside the last five minutes of the second half.
If there is an injury timeout prior to the two-minute warning, the game clock is started as if the injury timeout had not occurred.
If there is an excess team timeout after the two-minute warning, the game clock is started as if the excess timeout had not occurred.
If there is a Referee’s timeout, the game clock is started as if the Referee’s timeout had not occurred.
*****If the game clock is stopped after a down in which there was a foul by either team, following enforcement or declination of a penalty, the game clock will start as *****if the foul had not occurred, except that the clock will start on the snap if:
*****the foul occurs after the two-minute warning of the first half;
*****the foul occurs inside the last five minutes of the second half; or
*****the offense commits a foul after the ball is made ready for play, and causes the clock to stop before a snap, during the fourth quarter or overtime; or
*****a specific rule prescribes otherwise.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 02:28:23 PM »
From 2020 NFL Rule Book (I placed asterisks at the pertinent section)

I don't think this is relevant as the game clock would have started at the snap anyway, IIRC. The point of the intentional offside was to take one "extra" down away from TB, so TB could have just declined (and kept on declining, if GB had persisted) the penalty to remain at 2nd and short.