Football Officiating > General Discussion

Stadium Field Mics

(1/2) > >>

theride:
Does anyone know how much field mics cost for football fields to transmit over the stadium PA.  Wanting to purchase one for our football field, but just want a very basic model. Does anyone know of a website that sells these with affordable prices.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

bossman72:

--- Quote from: theride on May 10, 2021, 03:43:40 PM ---Does anyone know how much field mics cost for football fields to transmit over the stadium PA.  Wanting to purchase one for our football field, but just want a very basic model. Does anyone know of a website that sells these with affordable prices.  Any assistance would be appreciated.

--- End quote ---

I'm no expert, but I think it depends on the brand of PA system you currently have.  If you have wireless handheld microphones for homecoming, graduation, etc, you probably just want to buy one that's the same brand.

Just a few things to note:  If at all possible, make it a lapel microphone and not a headset microphone.  Also, be sure to buy a mute switch in addition to the main pack and make sure the mute switch is a toggle switch and not a push button.  The range will have to be pretty far to get from the press box to the far corners of the field too.

HLinNC:
Shure seems to be the leading manufacturer that I see.   Most stadiums I work don't use them and some that did have stopped.    BSN has belt pack/mic sets for about $400 but how do you integrate into the PA?  I dunno.  I think you have to have a pretty good antenna system mounted outside the press box to get a quality signal into the PA system.

Not sure this is something that can be done right on the cheap.  If it comes off as half-assed, it probably isn't worth spending the money.

From a HS officials perspective, I don't think we really give a rip about dealing with it.   Its just something that alters the norm and slows us down getting off the field at the end of the game.   The coaches can't hear it usually so it serves no purpose for them.  High school stadium PA quality varies widely so depending on how good the system is, fans may not even hear it or pay attention.

Is there some other need that the money could be spent better?

Etref:
If you use a mic for awhile you sure miss the places that do not have one. It is always great to give a signal, say what the foul is while the PA guy has called your preliminary signal something else.  FlAg1

Tom.OH:

--- Quote from: Etref on May 10, 2021, 09:54:59 PM ---If you use a mic for awhile you sure miss the places that do not have one. It is always great to give a signal, say what the foul is while the PA guy has called your preliminary signal something else.  FlAg1

--- End quote ---

That happened at one of our games, PA called holding then referee signaled and announced block in the back...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version