Football Officiating > General Discussion

Ball Spotting and Measurement

<< < (3/5) > >>

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: Covid 22 on May 12, 2021, 01:52:00 PM ---1) Why was there a RFP signal after the touchback?
Good catch. Should have just said, "After the ball is ready for play." In this case the ball is, indeed, ready for play - without a signal - when the ball gets spotted and we are in position to officiate. That is needed to change former Team B to - now - Team A.

2) Both teams have no time outs.   If my guys are sure that the line to gain was made we are spotting the ball inside the hash.   Once moved, I will not measure.   I also don't want to give the "B" coach a free chance to strategize or substitute.   If my wing has any (ANY) question that it might be close, He will keep the spot and in come the chains.
Concur that any measurement must be done at the dead-ball spot. Once the ball gets moved to the hash mark from the side zone, we can't measure. If close, wings must 'crash' in to the spot - even to mid-field, if necessary - get a ball and get it spotted AT THE DEAD-BALL SPOT. We can not toss the ball to a wing outside the numbers with the dead-ball spot inside the numbers (for example). Don't be lazy, wings. Crash to the spot.
Close, but "sure" would be if the line-to gain is on one side of a yard line, and the dead-ball spot is on the other side of that yard line. "No, Coach. I don't need to measure that." But with both between two hash marks, especially if in the side zone on the pressbox side of the field, and within a half-length of the ball, that justifies a measurement.

Just my thoughts.

Now on a 7 or 8 man crew where one of the deep wings is bringing in a new football and the wing is holding his spot, I might allow for a measurement.
Hmmm. I don't understand this statement. Please elucidate.

--- End quote ---

ElvisLives:
Mission accomplished. Its been too quiet around here. I got people to talkin'.
We shouldn't give a rip about what coaches care about, like, or think. We should always do what is right and good for the game, and the players. Spottin' on yard lines can be good, but it gets carried to extreme by far too many misguided folks, to the detriment of the game, and the players.
Be judicious. Close to a yard line (within 6"), in non-time critical situations, sure - put it on a line. But, in time/distance critical situations, mark a good spot. Neither team needs our help.

I raised this issue, because I have seen some folks mark EVERY dead ball spot on a yard line, obviating numerous good defensive plays, in particular. And that is simply wrong. Know and understand the philosophy, and its intended purpose, and be true to the spirit of the game and the players. 

Ralph Damren:
In our pre-game field check , if on a grass field, the HL & I  stretch the chains from the 20 to the 30 and from the 35 to the 45 at each end as the 20 & 35 are the starting point after a touchback or untouched OOB free kick. If any of those 4 measurements don't meet the line to gain yardline, it's better to know now then in a game situation. The HL is usually the rookie of the crew and this gets him active and gives me a chance to chat with him. On field turf (very few in Maine) our worry would be the length of the chains. Some may consider this as looking for fly poop in the pepper shaker, but I don't feel it differs much from verifying that the PAT line is in line with the 3rd yard lines on the hashes.

HLinNC:

--- Quote ---1) Why was there a RFP signal after the touchback?
Good catch. Should have just said, "After the ball is ready for play." In this case the ball is, indeed, ready for play - without a signal - when the ball gets spotted and we are in position to officiate. That is needed to change former Team B to - now - Team A.
--- End quote ---

The rule code wasn't specified, just assumed NCAA due to the 40 sec clock on a touchback, but if this were NFHS, there would be a RFP blown but it would be :25.

bossman72:

--- Quote from: ElvisLives on May 12, 2021, 11:40:44 AM ---Why?

--- End quote ---

Using the field to our advantage.  We can memorize the line to gain as LOS officials and know exactly where it is.  Fudging the ball by a half yard when you are giving him a 1/10 doesn't make a lick of difference in the grand scheme of things.  It also gives replay a reference point to use for the LTG, for those of us that are so lucky.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version