Football Officiating > General Discussion

Ball Spotting and Measurement

<< < (4/5) > >>

ncwingman:
I believe that the number of people who are strongly in the "I will never *EVER* measure for *ANY REASON*!" camp are an exceedingly small minority.

If you've got 4th down, with 8 seconds to go and that measurement will decide the game -- you drag out the sticks and prove to both coaches what the ruling is, even if it's clearly on one side of the line by a ball length. It's the big dramatic reveal moment. Put on the show.

--- Quote from: ElvisLives on May 12, 2021, 03:22:14 PM ---I raised this issue, because I have seen some folks mark EVERY dead ball spot on a yard line, obviating numerous good defensive plays, in particular. And that is simply wrong. Know and understand the philosophy, and its intended purpose, and be true to the spirit of the game and the players. 

--- End quote ---

I worked with an umpire a few years ago who did this and it got us into trouble on a couple plays. LTG was the 32, ball carrier was down beyond the 31, but clearly short of the 32. I run in, give a hard spot at the 31.5 saying "He's short! He's short!" -- umpire rounds up and puts the ball on the 32 as I'm getting back into position. Offensive HC sees this and calls for a measurement, and now it looks *really bad* if I go drag the ball back half a yard to where I had spotted it.

HLinNC:
I'll usually start yelling for the U to put it on my toe on a hard, tight spot or to give the ball to me and I'll place it.  I'm not moving away until he puts it down or I've put it down myself.

ncwingman:

--- Quote from: HLinNC on May 17, 2021, 05:03:04 PM ---I'll usually start yelling for the U to put it on my toe on a hard, tight spot or to give the ball to me and I'll place it.  I'm not moving away until he puts it down or I've put it down myself.

--- End quote ---

Don't get me wrong, I learned my lesson on that one. However, the ball was dead just outside the hash, I have a hard foot *on* the ball. I toss the ball to the U who is mirroring my spot with his foot in a manner that *looks* like he knows where to put it. I didn't turn to move back, but my focus went to the defensive substitutions and when I came back to the ball to get the LOS, it was half a yard forward from where I thought he was going to place it.

I thought I had communicated the spot well. I was wrong.

AlUpstateNY:

--- Quote from: HLinNC on May 17, 2021, 05:03:04 PM ---I'll usually start yelling for the U to put it on my toe on a hard, tight spot or to give the ball to me and I'll place it.  I'm not moving away until he puts it down or I've put it down myself.

--- End quote ---

Just to second a suggestion made before, If you think there just might be a measurement, LEAVE THE BALL AT THE DB SPOT, until the R declares 1st Down (Move the chains to the ball, NOT the ball).  When it's an obvious (declared) 1st Down, OK to toss the ball into, or take it to the hash. 

justbill13:
Many years ago, I worked an 8 man game in a small town playing their biggest rival from a neighboring small town to end the season.  Both teams had losing records and the playoffs were not in the picture for either of them.   Field was not well marked (no yard marks) and one of the chain guys was working his last game after over 40 years.  He told my HL before the game they never had a measurement.  In the 3rd quarter, the visiting team got close to a first down.  I called for a measurement.  As the old guy and the rest of the chain crew ran in with the chains, he got a standing ovation from the fans of both schools.

I have never regretted calling for that measurement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version