Football Officiating > General Discussion

Ball Spotting and Measurement

<< < (5/5)

Ralph Damren:

--- Quote from: justbill13 on May 20, 2021, 01:44:36 PM ---Many years ago, I worked an 8 man game in a small town playing their biggest rival from a neighboring small town to end the season.  Both teams had losing records and the playoffs were not in the picture for either of them.   Field was not well marked (no yard marks) and one of the chain guys was working his last game after over 40 years.  He told my HL before the game they never had a measurement.  In the 3rd quarter, the visiting team got close to a first down.  I called for a measurement.  As the old guy and the rest of the chain crew ran in with the chains, he got a standing ovation from the fans of both schools.

I have never regretted calling for that measurement.

--- End quote ---
Great story, JustBill, he must have really loved football and his team to do that thankless job for all those years  aWaRd . This was probably a moment that he will remember for the rest of his life. I hope the home team gave him the game ball. aWaRd

refjeff:

--- Quote from: ncwingman on May 17, 2021, 12:34:31 PM ---
If you've got 4th down, with 8 seconds to go and that measurement will decide the game -- you drag out the sticks and prove to both coaches what the ruling is, even if it's clearly on one side of the line by a ball length. It's the big dramatic reveal moment. Put on the show.

--- End quote ---
  I was in the stands at a state finals game with that exact situation, except for a little more time.  Brought the chain crew out.  Put on the show.  2 1/2 yards short.

That might have been overdoing it.

yarnnelg:
Since I'm the loudest mouth of the field. (Line Judge)

If it's close, I'm singing "Take a look!" and wait for the white hat to come and decide whether or not to measure. If he's definitely short it's always "Short, Short!" and they may come over to take a glance ....Cuts a lot of our White Hat having to run around a lot. He needs to save his legs for his hunting trip the following day ... LOL

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version