Football Officiating > General Discussion

Ball Spotting and Measurement

<< < (2/5) > >>

ElvisLives:
That is a single scenario. The first series gives us the hard line-to-gain of the edge of the A-25 nearest Aís goal line. With the ball clearly - and highly visibly - becoming dead at a point some 10 inches beyond that edge. The new series then begins at that point, i.e., not on a hard - and marked - yard line. Thus, neither is the line-to-gain on a hard - and marked - yard line.
This illustrates a real-life scenario in which the new series cannot start on a hard - and marked - yard line, despite some people that would want to place the ball on a marked yard line for every - EVERY - new series - so they wonít ever have to be bothered with a measurement. That is an irresponsible attitude that disrespects the game and the players immeasurably (no pun intended).

Yes, we have a published philosophy that allows placement of the ball (succeeding spot) on a marked yard line when a new series is awarded to a team after the previous series is broken during a down (i.e., interception, fumble recovery, etc.), or when a new series begins following a free kick. I donít think anybody has any heartburn with that.

The exception to that is when the ball is Ďdownedí by Team A clearly between marked yard lines inside Bís 5 yard line following a punt - especially within inches of Bís goal line. Such a visible spot canít be ignored, and moving of the ball to the next marked yard line canít be justified to Team A.

But, to consciously ignore proper spotting of the ball, simply for our convenience, is a disgusting and irresponsible practice, that disrespects the players. This isnít our game. It is their game. They deserve better. Letís be better.

bossman72:
With that being said, if the LTG is clearly gained by a few yards, set 1st and 10 on a tick.  I see no problem with that.  Your scenario where it's close to the LTG, put it where it is.

ElvisLives:

--- Quote from: bossman72 on May 12, 2021, 07:59:13 AM ---Öif the LTG is clearly gained by a few yards, set 1st and 10 on a tick.

--- End quote ---

Why?

Covid 22:
1) Why was there a RFP signal after the touchback?

2) Both teams have no time outs.   If my guys are sure that the line to gain was made we are spotting the ball inside the hash.   Once moved, I will not measure.   I also don't want to give the "B" coach a free chance to strategize or substitute.   If my wing has any (ANY) question that it might be close, He will keep the spot and in come the chains.

Just my thoughts.

Now on a 7 or 8 man crew where one of the deep wings is bringing in a new football and the wing is holding his spot, I might allow for a measurement.

Legacy Zebra:

--- Quote from: ElvisLives on May 12, 2021, 11:40:44 AM ---Why?

--- End quote ---

Let me just sum up how the rest of this thread is going to go so we can skip the back and forth and get on with our lives.

Side 1: Spot it on a yard line for 1st down whenever possible. The only times not to spot it in a yard line are when Team A gets a first down by less than a yard, or when thereís a change of possession inside the 10. This method is taught in the NFL and NCAA as a way to manage the game better and more efficiently. It reduces the need for measurements and provides a simple way to judge if the line to gain has been made on close plays. Coaches donít care about 6Ē on first down in the middle of the field and neither should we.

Side 2: The spot is the spot. If the runner gains 20.654 yards after a touchback, spot it at the A-45.654. Putting the ball anywhere other than the exact spot is lazy and lacks integrity. 

Both sides think they have a better understanding of officiating than the other side, neither side changes their mind. Do what your supervisor says.

There. Saved us a couple pages of arguing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version