Football Officiating > NCAA Discussion

RTP and fumble

(1/4) > >>

alter mann:
1. 4/4 @ A48. A-9 throws a forward pass, that is caught by A-80 at the B45. A-80 fumbles and A-70 recovers at the B43. A-9 was roughed by B-12.

2. 4/4 @ A48. A-9 throws a forward pass, that is caught by A-80 at the B45. A-80 fumbles and A-70 recovers at the A48. A-9 was roughed by B-12.

What's your call?

Kalle:
The order to resolve this is first deal with the 4th down fumble rule and then with the penalty.

1. Return the ball to B45. The apparent run by A-70 disappears. The end of the last run (by A-80) is beyond the neutral zone, so enforce from there. Team A 1/10@B30.

2. The ball stays at A48, and the last run is by A-70. This is not beyond the neutral zone, so enforce from the previous spot. Team A 1/10@B37.

Legacy Zebra:

--- Quote ---Return the ball to B45. The apparent run by A-70 disappears. The end of the last run (by A-80) is beyond the neutral zone, so enforce from there. Team A 1/10@B30.
--- End quote ---

I'm late to the party, but I'm going to disagree with this one. This is not just an "apparent" run by A-70, it is a run by rule. The end of that run is the B-43. That is where the rules say to enforce the penalty from, the end of the last run. Would the ball go back to the B-45 if there were no RPS? Yes. But the ball would also go over to Team B in the second question since A was short of the line to gain. Why would this be any different?

copedaddy:
Isn't the play dead when recovered by A70?

Kalle:

--- Quote from: copedaddy on June 21, 2021, 08:37:43 PM ---Isn't the play dead when recovered by A70?

--- End quote ---

It is, but that has no bearing on this. See eg. A.R. 2-30-4-II. The real question is how should we treat the 4th down fumble recovery in advance of the spot of the fumble. Is it like LZ said a "real" / "valid" run for penalty enforcement, or do we treat it like we treat fumbles out of bounds in advance of the spot of the fumble. Based on my track record in trying to guess the rules makers' intent, I'm willing to bet that I'm wrong and LZ is (as usual) right :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version