Author Topic: TASO Mini Quiz 7  (Read 1341 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
TASO Mini Quiz 7
« on: July 02, 2021, 11:57:34 AM »
Seems like someone different wrote the question this week!

1.  Team A players break the huddle and move to the line of scrimmage. At the snap, the split end is just coming to a stop. Is this legal? If not, please explain why? RULING:

It is not, as he did not come to a complete stop for a full second as required by 7-2-a: After a huddle (Rule 2-14) or shift (Rule 2-22-1) and before the snap, all Team A players must come to an absolute stop and remain stationary in their positions without movement of the feet, body, head or arms for at least one full second before the ball is snapped.

2. B90, a defensive tackle, is in a 3-point stance within a yard of the line of scrimmage. Just before the snap, B90 makes an exaggerated move toward the line of scrimmage. He stops just short of the line of scrimmage. The offensive tackle in front of B90 moves in reaction to B90’s movement. The ball is then snapped. Is this legal since B90 never entered the neutral zone? If not, please explain why. RULING:

Legal.  7-1-2-b-3 exception states that it is not a false start if a Team A lineman immediately reacts when threatened by a Team B player in the neutral zone… and  B was not in the neutral zone.  For this to be a foul, AR 7-1-3-V says that B must be in the neutral zone and the lineman that moved must be in the immediate vicinity of B, (directly in front of, and adjacent to).  Dead ball foul, 5 yards from succeeding spot.

3. With less than one minute remaining in the 4th quarter, Team A is behind by 6 points. On 4th down and 8 from the B-16, A10 is looking downfield to throw a forward pass. As A10 is being tackled, he throws the ball to the middle of the field and the pass is completed to A55 at the B-12. A55 runs to the B-5 and is tackled. This is a foul for illegal touching. What is the penalty enforcement including down, distance, yard line, and clock status? RULING:

7-3-11 states that ‘No originally ineligible player while inbounds may intentionally touch a legal forward pass until it has touched an opponent or an official.’  5 yards from previous spot, so 4th and 13 from the B21.  GC on ready, PC 25.

4. On 4th down, A13 does not control the snap. The loose ball is recovered and advanced by A22. Should play have been stopped when A22 recovered the ball since it was 4th down? Why or why not? RULING:

No.  2-23-c declares that when the center loses control of the snap, it becomes a backwards pass and is in play. Since the initial exchange is a backwards pass, not a fumble, and therefore not governed by 7-2-2-a exception 2 (4th down fumble rule.) 

5. A, 2/10 @ B-13 with the ball on the right hash mark. B25 commits defensive pass interference against A88 in left corner of the end zone. The penalty will leave the ball at the B-2 with the clock starting on the snap. Should the ball be spotted on the left hash, the right hash, the middle of the field, or a spot chosen by the Team A coach and why should it be in the spot you have chosen? 

My initial thought:  As a wing I’ve no idea, that’s why we have umpires to spot the ball? 😊

Honestly not 100% sure, and I think could vary depending on the outcome of the play (not stated):  If he caught the pass for a TD, then can be spotted at Team A’s choosing as long as before RFP or 25 seconds has elapsed. 
My initial reaction was if result of the play was an incomplete pass, and penalty would be enforced, we  would return to the original spot.  But, 3-2-4-IV does state that ‘Team A may call a timeout to relocate the ball unless preceeded by a Team A foul or offsetting fouls.  (oooh, actually found a spelling error in the rule book!)

So it seems can be spotted anywhere within the hashes, as long as it’s within the time constraints prescribed, although I am only seeing AR support, not a specific rule to support this.  I am sure I missing it (or I'm wrong, take your pick LOL)

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: TASO Mini Quiz 7
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2021, 01:32:16 PM »
Seems like someone different wrote the question this week!

1.  Team A players break the huddle and move to the line of scrimmage. At the snap, the split end is just coming to a stop. Is this legal? If not, please explain why? RULING:

It is not, as he did not come to a complete stop for a full second as required by 7-2-a: After a huddle (Rule 2-14) or shift (Rule 2-22-1) and before the snap, all Team A players must come to an absolute stop and remain stationary in their positions without movement of the feet, body, head or arms for at least one full second before the ball is snapped.

2. B90, a defensive tackle, is in a 3-point stance within a yard of the line of scrimmage. Just before the snap, B90 makes an exaggerated move toward the line of scrimmage. He stops just short of the line of scrimmage. The offensive tackle in front of B90 moves in reaction to B90’s movement. The ball is then snapped. Is this legal since B90 never entered the neutral zone? If not, please explain why. RULING:

Legal.  7-1-2-b-3 exception states that it is not a false start if a Team A lineman immediately reacts when threatened by a Team B player in the neutral zone… and  B was not in the neutral zone.  For this to be a foul, AR 7-1-3-V says that B must be in the neutral zone and the lineman that moved must be in the immediate vicinity of B, (directly in front of, and adjacent to).  Dead ball foul, 5 yards from succeeding spot.
The defensive player's action is NOT legal, and we must vigilant to put a stop to this. This is a 7-1-5-4 foul - a defensive player within a yard of the NZ making an abrupt or exaggerated movement that is not a part of a normal defensive movement.  Don't get caught up in a coach's claim that this is their normal movement. We see multiple d-linemen abruptly moving horizontally, which often causes the offense to false start. This is NOT a false start. This IS a delay of game foul on Team B, for using a tactic that is clearly intended to cause a false start. Don't get sucked in by a coach's claim that:
1) this is their normal shift movement;
2) they didn't make any audible call;
3) (in the case where Team A holds fast and doesn't react) "They didn't move!"
4) "We've been doing this all season and your the only crew that has called this!"

-A reaction by Team A is NOT required for this to be a foul.
-This is a (dead-ball, Delay of Game) foul without (or with) an audible call. This is NOT disconcerting signals - that is another foul altogether. If they make an audible signal, too, more than likely you have BOTH a disconcerting signal foul AND this illegal movement foul.

This is a tactic SOLELY coached by some coaches to cheat, because neither they nor their players have the talent to win straight up. These are usually lower level coaches that have been exposed to only lower level coaching, and, sadly, they have gotten away with it, somehow. You don't see this in FBS football. BECAUSE IT IS ILLEGAL! And FBS guys have the support of their coordinators and conferences to make these calls. We must step up and STOP this crap. 

3. With less than one minute remaining in the 4th quarter, Team A is behind by 6 points. On 4th down and 8 from the B-16, A10 is looking downfield to throw a forward pass. As A10 is being tackled, he throws the ball to the middle of the field and the pass is completed to A55 at the B-12. A55 runs to the B-5 and is tackled. This is a foul for illegal touching. What is the penalty enforcement including down, distance, yard line, and clock status? RULING:

7-3-11 states that ‘No originally ineligible player while inbounds may intentionally touch a legal forward pass until it has touched an opponent or an official.’  5 yards from previous spot, so 4th and 13 from the B21.  GC on ready, PC 25.

4. On 4th down, A13 does not control the snap. The loose ball is recovered and advanced by A22. Should play have been stopped when A22 recovered the ball since it was 4th down? Why or why not? RULING:

No.  2-23-c declares that when the center loses control of the snap, it becomes a backwards pass and is in play. Since the initial exchange is a backwards pass, not a fumble, and therefore not governed by 7-2-2-a exception 2 (4th down fumble rule.) 

5. A, 2/10 @ B-13 with the ball on the right hash mark. B25 commits defensive pass interference against A88 in left corner of the end zone. The penalty will leave the ball at the B-2 with the clock starting on the snap. Should the ball be spotted on the left hash, the right hash, the middle of the field, or a spot chosen by the Team A coach and why should it be in the spot you have chosen? 

My initial thought:  As a wing I’ve no idea, that’s why we have umpires to spot the ball? 😊

Honestly not 100% sure, and I think could vary depending on the outcome of the play (not stated):  If he caught the pass for a TD, then can be spotted at Team A’s choosing as long as before RFP or 25 seconds has elapsed. 
My initial reaction was if result of the play was an incomplete pass, and penalty would be enforced, we  would return to the original spot.  But, 3-2-4-IV does state that ‘Team A may call a timeout to relocate the ball unless preceeded by a Team A foul or offsetting fouls.  (oooh, actually found a spelling error in the rule book!)

So it seems can be spotted anywhere within the hashes, as long as it’s within the time constraints prescribed, although I am only seeing AR support, not a specific rule to support this.  I am sure I missing it (or I'm wrong, take your pick LOL)
DPI is enforced either at the spot of the foul (if outside a hash mark, it would be moved to the nearest hash mark), or 15 yards/placed at the B-2 FROM THE PREVIOUS SPOT (by rule). That means the ball will be placed in line (laterally) with the previous spot. In this case, the previous spot was on the right hash mark. Therefore, following the penalty enforcement, the ball will be placed on the right hash mark, as well.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 03:40:54 PM »
As usual, you are completely right on #2... I know I read the word exaggerated, and then proceeded to answer as if it were a twitch or jerk, than was not intentional. 

Made a lot of dumb mistakes today, thank you for grace and correcting me and explaining thoroughly to help me learn better.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 03:53:37 PM »
As usual, you are completely right on #2... I know I read the word exaggerated, and then proceeded to answer as if it were a twitch or jerk, than was not intentional. 

Made a lot of dumb mistakes today, thank you for grace and correcting me and explaining thoroughly to help me learn better.

We’ve all been there, and to some degree, are all still there. My former boss used to say, “He who ain’t screwing up ain’t doing anything.” Right on.