Author Topic: Football referee hats. Which brand and style?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline sepatopten

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Football referee hats. Which brand and style?
« on: November 22, 2021, 11:09:36 AM »
In the Philadelphia area Smitty is a popular brand. No adjustable hats. All fitted. What brand hat do some if you referees use? I see Richardson and Underarmor advertised also. Thanks. The head ref is the only white hat the rest are in black.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Re: Football referee hats. Which brand and style?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 11:14:29 AM »
I’ve got a big biggie, so if it’s windy I’ll wear a Richardson, which tends to be tighter, otherwise UA because it feels cooler, not as thick, at least to me.

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 12:40:49 PM »
IMHO, a sized cap Is YOUR cap while an adjustable cap, unless you have a ponytail, makes it look like something that you may have won at the county fair.
 tiphat: tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl tR:oLl (5-man crew)

Offline refjeff

• FAN REACTION: +19/-30
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 12:45:42 PM »
Richardson does not sell a fitted hat big enough for my head.

I have an Adidas XL/XXL that is a little small.

My black Under Armour XL/XXL fits best.

My white UA XXL is a little big.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2021, 01:30:12 PM »
Meanwhile, the Richardson S/M is almost too big for me. Rather noticeable after I get a haircut... but it's what I use and all I've ever used.

A few of the new guys in my area have adjustable hats, which seem to be a new option or being pushed more. I don't remember seeing them when I was first starting out. I agree with Ralph that they look amateurish. Okay for peewee work, but don't wear one on Friday night.

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2021, 01:56:47 PM »
Meanwhile, the Richardson S/M is almost too big for me. Rather noticeable after I get a haircut... but it's what I use and all I've ever used.

Hat too big? Put distilled water in a clean spray bottle and thoroughly wet (soak) the headband. ‘Ball’ some clean wash cloths to create a loose ‘form’ and place it inside the cap, just to hold the crown in place. Don’t stretch the wet hat. Let it dry naturally, and thoroughly. Don’t be in a hurry. Let it dry thoroughly.  It will shrink, usually around a half size.
Don’t use tap water, or even bottled drinking water. Distilled water.
Once shrunk, they tend to stay shrunk, unless they get wet, again, and stretched.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2021, 04:09:36 PM »
Hat too big? Put distilled water in a clean spray bottle and thoroughly wet (soak) the headband. ‘Ball’ some clean wash cloths to create a loose ‘form’ and place it inside the cap, just to hold the crown in place. Don’t stretch the wet hat. Let it dry naturally, and thoroughly. Don’t be in a hurry. Let it dry thoroughly.  It will shrink, usually around a half size.
Don’t use tap water, or even bottled drinking water. Distilled water.
Once shrunk, they tend to stay shrunk, unless they get wet, again, and stretched.

You can also super-glue some small pieces of sweatbands to the hat band in strategic places.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2021, 05:08:30 PM »
Why not just buy one that fits?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2021, 09:09:36 PM »
Adjustable hats look sloppy, IMO.  Unless you have a need for one (like a pony tail), get a fitted hat.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2021, 08:51:08 AM »
The UA's seem to be a bit snug on me and they have a low profile.  (I'm a 7 3/8)

Richardson's seem to run big.  I'm not sure if they have varying models.  I have an older one that looks fine but my newest one seems to be kind of full and boxy looking in the front.

I have two New Era sized hats that I bought on sale and put up when they became hard to find.  One is still pristine.  The other one I still don't have the crown where I really want it to be. 

If you can still find the adidas hats, I think their profile looks the best overall.  They also tend to run a bit big but have a low crown.

Offline Sky_Giraffe

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2022, 04:45:37 AM »
Any plain hat, brands don't matter

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2022, 09:21:23 AM »
Any plain hat, brands don't matter

;D

While I agree that fitted hats look better and more professional, the adjustable (snapback) hats are much more popular and in style with the younger generations.  For us seasoned folks who are seeing the trend of a lack of football officials (all sports, really), I don't think forcing fitted hats on young officials is a battle worth fighting.  Even if they look a little sloppy, they look better than not having enough officials on the field to cover the game. 

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2022, 11:15:20 AM »
I use a Richardson FlexFit S/M hat. Is there any differences in what hats male and female officials use?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2022, 12:31:17 PM »
Not sure overall but NFL official Sarah Thomas originally used what appeared to be a regular albeit larger sized NFL hat with her hair tucked up in it.  The last season or two she's had an open back hat with a ponytail.  I imagine its personal preference for the ladies
I started out in the mid- 90's wearing a snapback New Era cap.   It is now in my personal museum collection along with my metal Acme Thunderer finger whistle and polyester penalty flag. ;)

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2022, 07:06:38 AM »
I use a Richardson FlexFit S/M hat. Is there any differences in what hats male and female officials use?

The Flex-Fit is a good option for those of us who are between sizes.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2022, 11:02:34 AM »
Agreed. Is Richardson the only company with that option?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2022, 09:58:43 AM »
adidas and Under Armour hats also run in flexible sizing (i.e. L/XL, S/M, M/L)  The main differences are the crown shapes and composition of the fabrics.    To me, UA has the lowest profile crown and the tightest fit.  adidas would be next.  The Richardson models I own have the highest crown, more like an older vintage fitted hat.

The two New Era fitted models I bought on closeout some time back have the highest crown.  One is still pristine in the box.  The other could use some shaping that I've just never taken the time to do.