Football Officiating > National Football League

Is OPI reviewable ???

(1/1)

Ralph Damren:
In the Bengal's quick TD to start the 2nd half, it certainly appeared OPI could have been called. I thought the NFL had added pass interference to their list of reviewable calls and that play would certainly have drawn the coach's red hankie. Maybe that rule change was only a dream ???....

Cheering for the Bengals, as the underdog, the non-call didn't bother me. The NFHS rule changes will be out in a couple of days, some may bother you. yEs:

CosmoKramer:

--- Quote from: Ralph Damren on February 14, 2022, 04:48:38 AM ---In the Bengal's quick TD to start the 2nd half, it certainly appeared OPI could have been called. I thought the NFL had added pass interference to their list of reviewable calls and that play would certainly have drawn the coach's red hankie. Maybe that rule change was only a dream ???....

Cheering for the Bengals, as the underdog, the non-call didn't bother me. The NFHS rule changes will be out in a couple of days, some may bother you. yEs:

--- End quote ---

No, it's not reviewable now.  They made PI a challengeable foul a couple years ago for just one season.  It failed (intentionally) miserably so they dropped it.

Ralph Damren:

--- Quote from: CosmoKramer on February 14, 2022, 08:15:58 AM ---No, it's not reviewable now.  They made PI a challengeable foul a couple years ago for just one season.  It failed (intentionally) miserably so they dropped it.

--- End quote ---
Thanks, Cosmo, if the Patriots had been on defense, I would have been much more EXCITED  hEaDbAnG pi1eOn  :) !

AlUpstateNY:

--- Quote from: CosmoKramer on February 14, 2022, 08:15:58 AM ---No, it's not reviewable now.  They made PI a challengeable foul a couple years ago for just one season.  It failed (intentionally) miserably so they dropped it.

--- End quote ---

Be careful what you wish for, although this particular play could have decided a Super Bowl Championship, reviewing individual penalty calls could easily develop into an enormous Pandora's Box.  Official's calling, limited to what they actually SEE has worked really well at multiple levels for GENERATIONS.

ElvisLives:
My 'insight' on that down reminds me that the B and the offside deep wing had trips to their side, and they were tied up with that action until the ball was in the air. Once the ball was in the air, yeah, the B can come off his primary area and help with the action on/by the apparent intended receiver. But, as quickly and obscurely as the action in question happened, that was nearly impossible to see. The B would just be starting to pick up that action when the facemask grab occurs, and, at his distance, would not likely be able to positively say that the fingers were 'hooked' into the mask. And then it was over. Maybe .5 second. Not like a facemask on a BC that tends to last 1 to 2 seconds. Me? I would have been thinking, "Oh crap..what was that?" But I can't make a call based on, "What was that?" So, no, I don't think the B could have helped on THAT specific down. The only thing he might have been able to rule was OPI by positively twisting the defender off of his path of travel. But who knows how much of this action he actually saw.
The deep wing on that side had no good angle on that specific action. The modified philosophy from the guy in charge these days has the deep wings fading until the ball is in the air, then holding to observe the action from a stationary, or near stationary, position. As a result, the receiver and defender had actually passed the deep wing before this action occurred, so he had no view of what the receiver was doing with his right arm.  The receiver certainly wasn't intending to grab the defender's facemask, but he was trying to pull the defender off his path, to keep him from getting to the ball. The receiver just wanted to grab the defender - most likely by the shoulder pad - and twist him. But, he got the facemask. That got the job done, but no official was in a good position to positively rule that it was even simple OPI, much less OPI via a facemask foul. By previous deep wing mechanics, the deep wing would have been fading well in advance of the receiver. Had he been doing that, the action would most definitely have opened up to him, and he would have stood a 95% better chance of seeing that action, making an OPI ruling.
But, as we all know too well, we miss things. Regrettable. Everybody hates missing things. We bust our hind ends to be where we need to be to see the things most likely to happen. But stuff still happens. Even to the best of the best. What can be done? Add another deep guy? OK. We're still gonna miss things.
Fans and media: Just accept the fact that errors are made by everyone. Get over it. Teams: Get better; to the point that an error such as this doesn't keep you from winning.
Oh, wait... The adversely affected team won the game. Well, there ya go. The universe is still whole.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version