Author Topic: Don't kick yourself if you kick a kick play......  (Read 4424 times)

Online ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
Re: Don't kick yourself if you kick a kick play......
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2022, 08:11:56 AM »
Try this one, guys. Actually occurred a few years ago in a JV game up here......

SCENE : 4th & 10 @ A's 40, when:

(1) K1 punts;
(2) kick blocked by R1;
(3) R2 scoops up ball and begins to advance;
(4) R2 is tackled @ K'20 & fumbles;
(5) K1 retrieves fumble and kicks again;
(6) 'kick' goes OOB @ K's 45.

USING CURRENT RULES, YOU MAKE THE CALL  ^good ^no ^TD  ^talk z^ ^flag ^flag ^flag ^flag ^flag

Not offering a ruling, just want to say, "Dumb ---!" But then, maybe an NFHS ruling will surprise me.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2022, 08:35:30 AM »
Not offering a ruling, just want to say, "Dumb ---!" But then, maybe an NFHS ruling will surprise me.
K1 may have thought he was in the CFL....then again, there may be a reason that K1 is on the junior varsity  ;D

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2022, 09:45:15 AM »

Series for K ended when R recovered. K has created a fumble by illegally kicking a ball in his possession. If penalty is accepted, mark off 10 from the spot of the foul, 1st and 10 K. If penalty is declined, K ball at the 45, 1st and 10.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2022, 10:20:17 AM »
Series for K ended when R recovered. K has created a fumble by illegally kicking a ball in his possession. If penalty is accepted, mark off 10 from the spot of the foul, 1st and 10 K. If penalty is declined, K ball at the 45, 1st and 10.

Again, alignment between rules sets. Good. So, yeah...dumb ---. Coach needs to coach better.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2022, 10:41:53 AM »
Calhoun again nailed it  aWaRd

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2022, 07:16:39 PM »
No, the previous spot was the A-3 (K-3), so the ball did, ultimately, cross the NZ.

I apparently can't read...

However, I still maintain that crossing the NZ is irrelevant to the ruling.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2022, 08:23:13 PM »

Can’t speak for NFHS, but it certainly is relevant for NCAA. If the scrimmage kick doesn’t cross the NZ, then the “tack on” enforcement option doesn’t apply.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #32 on: June 02, 2022, 10:20:04 AM »
Can’t speak for NFHS, but it certainly is relevant for NCAA. If the scrimmage kick doesn’t cross the NZ, then the “tack on” enforcement option doesn’t apply.
NFHS doesn't restrict tack-on's to only kicks beyond the NZ. I probably should have posted this topic on NFHS section to clarify :-X.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #33 on: June 02, 2022, 10:59:40 AM »

Yes, you are correct. Once the ball goes out of bounds it belongs to R, no matter if it's behind or beyond..  That was my bad.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2022, 11:02:13 AM »

In FED, it may or may not be important. If the loose ball goes OOB or is recovered by R, it belongs to R, so tack on applies. If K recovers the kick behind or beyond, the tack on doesn't apply.

Online Legacy Zebra

• FAN REACTION: +52/-9
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2022, 05:28:11 PM »
Again, alignment between rules sets. Good. So, yeah...dumb ---. Coach needs to coach better.

Assuming by "kicks it again" Ralph means he punted the ball, I disagree. NCAA would not be the same here. This is a return kick because it was a scrimmage kick made after a change of possession. Rather than being a 10 yard penalty and the ball remaining live, the ball is dead immediately and it is only a 5 yard penalty from the spot of the kick. Because there was a change of team possession during the down and A had the ball legally at the end of the down, they will get a new series 1st and 10, 5 yards from where the kick occurred.

Online ElvisLives

« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2022, 06:30:25 PM »
Assuming by "kicks it again" Ralph means he punted the ball, I disagree. NCAA would not be the same here. This is a return kick because it was a scrimmage kick made after a change of possession. Rather than being a 10 yard penalty and the ball remaining live, the ball is dead immediately and it is only a 5 yard penalty from the spot of the kick. Because there was a change of team possession during the down and A had the ball legally at the end of the down, they will get a new series 1st and 10, 5 yards from where the kick occurred.

Yep. I botched that one. Must have been typing in my sleep (or some other fake excuse). Thanks for the correction, Legacy.