Author Topic: Clock Operator Shenanigans  (Read 1712 times)

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
Clock Operator Shenanigans
« on: November 04, 2022, 02:51:07 PM »
Not my game, but I have confirmation that this occurred at a 6-man game our chapter was calling.

Home team is up by 3+ scores, but visiting team starts to close the gap.  Home team's coaches are not pleased with the way the local clock operator is running the clock (no issues from the officials' perspective, apparently.)  Head coach decides to unleash a string of profanities directed at the clock operator through his radio headset (clock operator must have had a radio or ability to listen.)  Clock operator takes great offense to what was said either to or about him, exits the pressbox, runs down the bleachers, jumps the railing, and then headlocks the head coach.   :!#  Everyone is just watching in wonderment, and local law enforcement had to pull him off; not sure if he was arrested, but he is definitely done working the clock there.

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Clock Operator Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 08:35:12 AM »
I would toss the head coach here. He should not be antagonizing the clock operator.

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 09:47:00 AM »
Why penalize the head coach?  Officials on the field had no idea what was going on, all they knew was the coach essentially got attacked, they had their radios but those are different frequencies/channels than the coaches' ones, for obvious reasons.  Here, clock operator is not part of the crew (sites provide them.)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2022, 07:26:19 AM »
IMHO, 'events' such as this should be reported to the powers to be in the state office. While it is not our job to maintain law and order off the field, those that have such a job should be advised.  P_S

Offline dammitbobby

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2022, 08:29:43 AM »
IMHO, 'events' such as this should be reported to the powers to be in the state office. While it is not our job to maintain law and order off the field, those that have such a job should be advised.  P_S

I know the crew filed an incident report.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2022, 06:47:31 AM »
Why penalize the head coach?  Officials on the field had no idea what was going on, all they knew was the coach essentially got attacked, they had their radios but those are different frequencies/channels than the coaches' ones, for obvious reasons.  Here, clock operator is not part of the crew (sites provide them.)

Therein lies your problem.  Ever so fortunately, WAY back (prior to late 1960s), when Game Clocks were the latest fad, some very wise Officials, locally, decided the responsibility of game timing was an Official responsibility whether it was handled on the field, or running a scoreboard clock.  Despite some considerable initial objections and resistance, they prevailed and eliminated a gaggle of various problems and thus far, have avoided similar objections with the emergence of the latest "necessity", the emergence of scoreboard "Play clocks", which are currently also handled, exclusively, by game officials (either on the field or in the booth).

Well trained, IMPARTIAL, consistent, Official clock management & supervision of Game time (either on the field, or in the booth) has proven to avoid all sorts of unnecessary arguments and controversy at EVERY level of the H.S football experience and proven to be well worth the minimal added expense.  It provides effective, IMPARTIAL  and consistent event time management, far more easily adaptable to rule adjustments.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 06:53:30 AM by AlUpstateNY »

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2022, 05:24:37 PM »

This might be different in 6-man, but in a high school game the "Security" forces get paid almost twice what the officials do. I think this is the time for them to earn their paychecks and I'm going to "act my wage", as the kids are calling it these days.