Football Officiating > General Discussion

Sixman Football in Texas

(1/2) > >>

TXMike:
[yt=425,350]8OteOvhsrCo[/yt]

Etref:
WOW    :bOW   :bOW   :bOW

Anyone who has never worked a 6-man game in a small Texas town has missed out on a small piece of life. To see the farmer pull his combine up, park, get a burger and watch his boy and then head back to the field. To see the starting QB shuck his pads at halftime and pull out his clarinet and three of the cheerleaders drop their pom poms and pick up their instruments. To have the press box in what looks like an elevated deer stand. The clock operator sitting on the side line because they could not afford to run the wire to the deer stand. To have two entire towns cheering for their kids.

When you start as a rookie in West Texas or the Panhandle, you start in 6-man. You work it and become proficient and move to 11 man but something about 6-man keeps drawing you back. Heck last year I volunteered to work a 7th grade 6-man game and I have been an official for almost 25 years. I like 'em......................

Cooter:

--- Quote from: RickWts on September 09, 2010, 01:14:16 PM ---WOW    :bOW   :bOW   :bOW

Anyone who has never worked a 6-man game in a small Texas town has missed out on a small piece of life. To see the farmer pull his combine up, park, get a burger and watch his boy and the head back to the field. To see the starting QB shuck his pads at halftime and pull out his clarinet and three of the cheerleaders drop their pom poms and pick up their instruments. To have the press box in what looks like an elevated deer stand. The clock operator sitting on the side line because they could not afford to run the wire to the deer stand. To have two entire towns cheering for their kids.

When you start as a rookie in West Texas or the Panhandle, you start in 6-man. You work it and become proficient and move to 11 man but something about 6-man keeps drawing you back. Heck last year I volunteered to work a 7th grade 6-man game. I like 'em......................

--- End quote ---

Wholeheartedly AGREE! 

Welpe:
Really neat video.  Thanks for sharing that, Mike.  I am scheduled to work some six man games this year and I am very much looking forward to them.   :thumbup

beaye1:
That video is so true.  They failed to mention the BBQ pit in the corner of the fenced in field.  Loved being the wingman on that side of the field.  If the wind was right, you could get a whiff of the brisket and could imagine what the sandwich you were going to get after the game tasted like.  eAt& Officiating in West Texas was a great experience!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version