Author Topic: Is this illegal?  (Read 4681 times)

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
Is this illegal?
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:18:01 PM »
Using NFHS rules...

On a kick for try and/or a FG attempt-  ball is snapped, and K's linemen then wrap their arms around the leg of the player to their inside, Tackle to guard, guard to center.

I was under the impression that this was illegal, as it pretty clearly matches the definition of interlocked blocking (grasp/encircle), but was overruled on the call.

Your thoughts?

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
Re: Is this illegal?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 05:22:05 PM »
Sounds like a pretty clear case of interlocked blocking to me.  What was the rationale on the overrule?

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 06:27:27 PM »
pretty much the same that is iused for "hurdling". I've never called that, so I'm not gonna start now.

LarryW60

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:52:32 PM »
Great.  Another White Hat who overrules anything they themselves have never personally flagged before. ::)

KB

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 02:13:16 AM »
That's why I like to watch the teams during warmups. Often you see stupid things that can be taken care of before the game so you don't have "stupid" flags during the game.

Like the time when I saw the FG kicker of a German team use a kicking plate during warmups for a Eurobowl qualifier (played under quite strict NCAA rules). They were allowed to use plates in the GFL at home, and the coach was quite surprised when I pulled out the rulebook from my back pocket to show him the relevant rule(s). But they complied, and we had no problem during the game. I strongly suspect that my way of handling that increased my standing with them.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 01:40:45 PM »
Great.  Another White Hat who overrules anything they themselves have never personally flagged before. ::)

Yeah.  Especially something that is pretty much exactly defined in the rule book.  The rule even specifically mentions the legs as part of "interlocked blocking", too!