Author Topic: 84 - 81 (12 Extra Periods)  (Read 8474 times)

Offline TXMike

• FAN REACTION: +229/-265
  • When you quit learning you quit living
84 - 81 (12 Extra Periods)
« on: October 30, 2010, 07:12:49 AM »
http://www.kltv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13414764

Jacksonville beats Nacogdoches 84-81 in 12 overtimes

NACOGDOCHES, TX (KLTV) - Overtime was not enough.

Neither was two, or three or four.

For that matter, neither was 10 or 11.

In a national record setting game, Jacksonville beat Nacogdoches 84-81 in 12 overtimes.

Yes, 12 overtimes.

Jacksonville only had to win to advance to the playoffs, but Nac had to win by 8 to keep the Dragons hopes alive, and kept the game going for nearly 5 1/2 hours.

In fact, on more than on occasion, Nacogdoches could have won the game by converting a 2 pt. conversion, but did not, intentionally throwing the ball out of the back of the endzone, thus forcing the teams into another overtime session.

The game was tied at 28 at the end of regulation, before the teams played for an additional 2 1/2 hours.

In the 12th overtime, the Dragons took possesion, but fumbled inside the 10 yard line.

Jacksonville then took 6 plays to move to the 2 yard line, before kicking the game-winning field goal.

Nacogdoches is now eliminated from playoff contention, and will finish their season on the road at Hallsville.

Jacksonville will be at home next week against John Tyler, in a game that will decide the district championship.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
Re: 84 - 81 (12 Extra Periods)
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 11:01:39 AM »
In fact, on more than on occasion, Nacogdoches could have won the game by converting a 2 pt. conversion, but did not, intentionally throwing the ball out of the back of the endzone, thus forcing the teams into another overtime session.

Now that ain't right.  I wonder how the team Jacksonville beat out for a playoff spot feels about it.

LarryW60

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 11:56:36 AM »
Now that ain't right.  I wonder how the team Jacksonville beat out for a playoff spot feels about it.
Based on the article, it sounds like Nagodoches was the team they beat out for the playoff spot.  No?

Offline BryanM67

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
If I remember correctly, a team must go for 2 starting in the 4th overtime?  Probably should also add a tiebreaker that if no team scores in a 4th or after overtime, whoever gained the most yards wins.  No sense in going 12 overtimes imho.

Also, when point differential is a factor in determining which teams go to playoffs, both teams should be given 0 - since they did not earn any differential at the end of regulation.  No way a team that needed many overtimes to win by 3 should be given an advantage over a team that won by 1 at the end of regulation.

Just my opinion...
Football referee rookie

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2010, 01:52:05 PM »
It seems that for Nacogdoches to make the playoffs they had to win by 8. So if they did not convert on an EP they let J'ville score in their half and then played defense. If J'ville had scored and not converted the EP then Nac would score and purposely miss the EP. Nacogdoches had several chances to win the game but declined hoping to get a chance to win by 8.

Here is a synopsis from another board.

It took over five hours and twelve overtime periods for the Jacksonville Indians to defeat the Nacogdoches Dragons?final score, 84-81.

The game, that set a national record for overtime periods, was tied 28- 28 at the end of regulation, and then played for almost another 2 1/2 hours.

Jacksonville only had to win to advance to postseason play but Nacogdoches had to win by more than 7 points to keep the Dragons playoff hopes alive.

On more than one occasion, Nacogdoches could have won the game by converting a two point conversion, but did not, intentionally deciding not to try to score to force the teams into another overtime session.

In the 12th overtime, the Dragons took possession, but fumbled inside the Indian's ten yard line. Jacksonville took six plays to move to the two yard line, before Rodrigo Carreon's 19-yard field goal ended the battle around 12:52 AM.

The loss eliminates Nacogdoches (3-6, 2-4) from playoff contention and next week they will finish their season on the road at Hallsville.

Jacksonville (7-2, 5-1) will be at home next week against John Tyler, in a game that will decide the district championship.

OVERTIME REWIND:

OT ONE
Jacksonville scores touchdown and misses extra point
Nacogdoches scores touchdown and takes a knee on extra point
Score: 34-34

OT TWO
Nacogdoches scores touchdown and misses extra point
Jacksonville scores touchdown and misses extra point
Score: 40-40

OT THREE
Neither team scores
Score: 40-40

OT FOUR
Nacogdoches scores touchdown and 2 point conversion fails
Jacksonville scores touchdown and 2 point conversion fails
Score: 46-46

OT FIVE
Nacogdoches scores touchdown and 2 point conversion try avoided
Score: 52-52

OT SIX
(Nacogdoches allows touchdown without challenge)
Score: 58-58

OT SEVEN
(Nacogdoches allows touchdown without challenge)
Score: 64-64

OT EIGHT
Nacogdoches scores touchdown and converts 2 point play
Jacksonville scores and converts 2 point play
(Nacogdoches allows 2 point play without challenge)
Score: 72-72

OT NINE
Jacksonville kicks field goal
Nacogdoches kicks field goal
Score: 75-75

OT TEN
Nacogdoches turns the ball over with interception
Jacksonville misses field goal
Score: 75-75

OT ELEVEN
Nacogdoches scores touchdown and 2 point conversion try avoided
Score: 81-81

OT TWELVE
Nacogdoches turns the ball over on fumble
Jacksonville kicks 19 yard field goal for win

FINAL SCORE: Jacksonville 84, Nacogdoches 81
(Final stats to come)

" I don't make the rules coach!"

T.C. Welton

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2010, 09:11:17 PM »
WOW WOW WOW, (did I say wow?)

Nacogdoches was truly doing everything they could to make the playoffs including not going for the win.

Imagine the officials who did this game.  Had they not known the circumstances, which I am sure they became aware at some point, this would have been the craziest scene...

comicref

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 12:07:40 AM »
A 5 Hour Energy drink wouldn't have been enough.

Offline george7244

• FAN REACTION: +6/-14
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 07:50:35 AM »
why in o.t. 4 did jacksonville go for two on the extra point instead of kicking it. no faith in their kicker maybe.

Offline george7244

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 07:54:55 AM »
just think if the uil had their way the officials would have made about $50 for this game or about minimum wage. 

Offline TXMike

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 07:56:03 AM »
Starting with 3d Extra Period teams must go for 2 by rule

Offline george7244

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 08:03:24 AM »
Starting with 3d Extra Period teams must go for 2 by rule
    thanks for the clarification.  39 years of federated will mess up anyone's mind.  lol

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +109/-35
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 11:32:34 AM »
I really don't understand the American aversion for games ending in a tie (except in playoff games, of course)...

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 11:51:32 AM »
I really don't understand the American aversion for games ending in a tie (except in playoff games, of course)...

Like we always say  IT IS LIKE KISSING YOUR SISTER.
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline With_Two_Flakes

• FAN REACTION: +5/-2
  • British American Football Referees Association
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 12:53:29 PM »
From info on another forum,

Start of game: 7:30 PM
End of game: 12:54 AM
Sorry Death, you lose! It was Professor Plum....

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2010, 02:12:30 PM »

Because ties are for soccer!!!!    LOL

McRef77

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 08:52:11 AM »
No amount of Tiger Balm would help in this situation!  I'm being carted off the field at the end of this one yEs: :!#

Offline TXMike

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2010, 09:22:09 AM »

Just another one of our idiosyncracies, like our desire to preserve freedom, attempting to spread democracy, eradicate terrorists, be the world's "first responder", etc etc

Offline Osric Pureheart

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
  • 1373937 or 308?
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2010, 05:14:47 PM »
Just another one of our idiosyncracies, like our desire to preserve freedom, attempting to spread democracy

I've a question.  How is it that you square this with events such as the recent bumper arms sale to Saudi Arabia?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/21/us-congress-notified-arms-sale-saudi-arabia

Saudi Arabia is an absolute monarchy with no elections, no freedom of the press, no freedom of religion, no freedom of speech, or of association.  As a state it officially practices judicial amputations and floggings, and arrest without charge followed by physical abuse of prisoners is turned a blind eye.  Yet the USA has been happily supporting them, regardless of the balance of power in Washington, for over 50 years.

Now, I know full well why the USA (and yes, other governments including HM's) gives the Saudis such enthusiastic support, and I can understand why; there are pragmatic, solid, hard-nosed realpolitik-based reasons for doing so.  What I object to is the hypocrisy of claiming that we're idealists and we're absolutely for freedom and democracy and intervening in world affairs to promote those aims...except when it suits our interests more if we don't.  That's hypocrisy.

Offline TXMike

« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 05:20:52 PM »
There are levels of tyranny and some tyrants are more potentially dangerous to the entire world than are others.  If I have one bullet and I have 2 bad guys in front of me, 1 who is holding a knife and 1 who is holding a gun.   I am using the bullet on the guy with a gun.  If there are tyrants who do not permit their own people to have the freedoms we love but there are other tyrants who also do not let THEIR people enjoy freedom but they are looking to impact the world in bad ways, THOSE are the tyrants we must take out , even if it means co-opting other tyrants to help us.  Ths is not a simple world we live in nor are these simple days.