Author Topic: A Good Initiative  (Read 3259 times)

Diablo

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
Re: A Good Initiative
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2010, 11:26:45 AM »
I think the basic problem is that too many people have fogotten, or choose to ignore, that like learning any other set of skills you have to start with basics and work your way up to different levels.  As a game, of extreme physical contact,  played by people between the ages of 6 and 50+, you should expect there are graduated skill sets involved. 

Players at the lower end play a different game than those at the top end, and sadly some people coaching at the lower end seem to be oblivious to the differences.  A lot of practices that make sense at one end, just don't apply to the other end. 

The fact that we can dress a 12 year old the same as we dress an NFL professional, doesn't mean that they can do the same things, or respond and think as quickly as a highly trained professional.   

jjseikel

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »
I think the basic problem is that too many people have fogotten, or choose to ignore, that like learning any other set of skills you have to start with basics and work your way up to different levels.  As a game, of extreme physical contact,  played by people between the ages of 6 and 50+, you should expect there are graduated skill sets involved.  

Players at the lower end play a different game than those at the top end, and sadly some people coaching at the lower end seem to be oblivious to the differences.  A lot of practices that make sense at one end, just don't apply to the other end.  

The fact that we can dress a 12 year old the same as we dress an NFL professional, doesn't mean that they can do the same things, or respond and think as quickly as a highly trained professional.  

The bottom line is that correct tackling fundamentals has gone by the wayside as everyone wants that highlight-type blow-up hit. All players, no matter the level, should be taught correct techniques.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:56:48 AM by Grant - AR »

busman

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2010, 10:26:01 AM »
Bigger, stronger, faster players wearing lighter and sturdier equipment give them a feeling of immortality.  In my 50 years around the game, even when I see teams that are not very good, there are often very talented players who have a headhunter philosophy causing very violent collisions.  Particularly in urban areas around my home, where kids grow up fighting, the one thing most of them will do is hit and hit hard. 

Coaching staffs must continue to emphasize proper tackling techniques, and punish those in practice who do not conform to proper techniques.