Author Topic: Stop Comma Abuse  (Read 6545 times)

Offline TxSkyBolt

• FAN REACTION: +45/-46

GWK

Re: Stop Comma Abuse
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 10:43:19 PM »
Quite a long time ago, I had an English teacher, who told us to not get commatitis.  Certainly, that could never happen, to me.

Offline Andrew McCarthy

• FAN REACTION: +21/-6
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 11:33:28 PM »
Al, that guy who posts on here, often, I've noticed, uses many, many commas, whether they are needed, or, not.   ;D

Offline gsrc

• FAN REACTION: +85/-16
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:35:30 AM »
I teach 7th grade English and the phrase I use is, "When in doubt, leave them out." I like the word commatitis too. Although I will say I hate teaching that commas insert a pause. While partially true, there are many other reasons to use a comma.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
Al, that guy who posts on here, often, I've noticed, uses many, many commas, whether they are needed, or, not.   ;D

I plead guilty.  However, the captioned article suggests, "Some writers can tell where a comma is needed by reading their prose aloud and inserting a comma where there seems to be a clear pause in the sentence. This may work much of the time if you read the sentence carefully and accurately. However, this procedure is not the most precise way to approach comma usage.", so maybe you're just reading too fast.

A recent review of "Things I could do better" places "using too many commas" somwhere in the middle of page 8, although I'll continue trying to improve.

LarryW60

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2011, 02:04:49 PM »
Don't let these punctuation Nazis read the U.S. Constitution.  They'd suffer apoplexia from all the commas.  Ditto the Declaration of Independence.

Online Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2011, 06:39:45 PM »
In High School the "Senior English" or college English class was taught by a lady who was also the Honor Society sponsor.

When she called the role students had to stand and recite a comma rule or be counted absent. Glad she retired my junior year.  ;D
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline LAZebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-1
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 11:25:25 AM »
Didn't Boy George have a song about Al?  I think it went like:  Comma, Comma, Comma, Chameleon......... ;D
None of these fans paid to see us

LarryW60

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 01:11:06 PM »
Didn't Boy George have a song about Al?  I think it went like:  Comma, Comma, Comma, Chameleon......... ;D
^no ^flag ^flag ^no ^no ^flag ^flag ^no ^no ^flag

Illegal Pun.  The try is no good.  45 yards will be enforced on the kickoff (15 yards for each offense and, yes, the kick will be from five yards in the end zone) deadhorse:
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:14:02 PM by Fadamor »

Offline Jackhammer

• FAN REACTION: +14/-5
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
Wow, I thought this was going to be about illegal helmet contact
"The only whistle that kills a play is an inadvertent one"

"The only thing black and white in officiating is the uniform"