Author Topic: What's wrong with me?  (Read 8936 times)

What's wrong with me?
« on: May 18, 2011, 07:32:02 PM »
I've got a head problem, folks, and I don't know how to solve it.

Something's missing from my prepwork. Part of it is that my knee is still screwed from an on-field injury in October.

I can't get into shape. But I'm also not eating right, not even able to try to work out. I think part of it is that we have a physical for college ball next month, and I know I will fail.

Even if I were in the best shape of my life, I would fail. I can't run a mile. Never been able to. Even the year I biked 240 km for a clinic (bicycled), I couldn't run long distances. Now, overweight and with my buggered knee? Not going to happen. My college career is, effectively, over. And I doubt that if I have to run a mile to qualify, that I ever will get back. I think that's sucked my soul.

But I can't even bother to try to get in shape. I have a bowflex - spent $800 on it - but I gained a pound in a week and stopped using it.
My head doesn't give a damn. And I have precious little time to solve what's in my noggin.

Grant - AR

Re: What's wrong with me?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 08:31:03 PM »
What is involved with your physical tests for college ball next month?  If we know what you have to do, maybe we can give you some ideas as to how to be prepared.  Don't give up...there's still time.

El Macman

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2011, 07:07:16 AM »

Something's missing from my prepwork. Part of it is that my knee is still screwed from an on-field injury in October.

I can't get into shape. But I'm also not eating right, not even able to try to work out. I think part of it is that we have a physical for college ball next month, and I know I will fail.

Even if I were in the best shape of my life, I would fail. I can't run a mile. Never been able to. Even the year I biked 240 km for a clinic (bicycled), I couldn't run long distances. Now, overweight and with my buggered knee? Not going to happen. My college career is, effectively, over. And I doubt that if I have to run a mile to qualify, that I ever will get back. I think that's sucked my soul.

But I can't even bother to try to get in shape. I have a bowflex - spent $800 on it - but I gained a pound in a week and stopped using it.
My head doesn't give a damn. And I have precious little time to solve what's in my noggin.

At some points in our lives, we have to accept things that are not what we want, but simply haven't the means or wherewithal to do what is required to make them what we want. That doesn't mean we are bad or have failed, just that circumstances have changed, and it is time to focus our time and energy on other higher priorities. I don't know your total situation, but, I often think about what it will be like when that time comes for me. After 38 years, it is not that far away. I have a devoted and unbelievably supportive wife that will love to have me around more on weekends. I have a son finishing college who will begin his life adventure in the not-to-distant future, of which I would like to be a big part. I look forward to the day he takes a wife and they gift us with grandchildren upon whom we can dote. I have a business that is doing well, but needs my attention more and more.
Long ago, I decided that when I step off the field - voluntarily or not - I'll be through with football officiating. I will put it aside (not behind), and let it be a badge of honor that I will be proud to display and reminisce about, but I won't be despondent. There is so much more out there, so many things of far higher priority. I will sorely miss my enormous circle of friends that has developed to date, and is yet growing. But I'll take comfort in being able to say I can call such outstanding people my 'friends,' and that they would return that expression.
Football officiating ain't life. It is a big part of our lives, have no doubt. But life will go on after we exit the stage, and we just need to focus attention on new challenges and opportunities.
If you haven't the ability to make officiating what you want, then say a fond farewell and go do something even better. You will lose the respect of no one. Hold your head high and go hug a loved one.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 02:23:08 PM by El Macman »

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 08:38:17 AM »
At some point Yogi Berra's advice catches up with all of us, "Baseball (or football) is 90% mental and the other half is physical" and we just can't continue doing all that we once could with "the other half".  However the same steps that you may have climed going up the ladder of your career are still available, a step or two lower, and can benefit from what you've accumulated in that 90% half.  Mr. Piera (apologies for misspelling) steped down from his long officiating supervisory career in the NFL, to Pop Warner fields in CA and is apparently really enjoying the transition.

Many of us started at that level and we all know that level still needs as much maturity and guidance as ever.  That is where that 90% really has value.  "Knowledge has no value until it's used, or shared".  Maybe you just need an assignment to get the right things started.

The weight thing is a problem everyone has to deal with.  We gain weight easier and it seems a lot harder to get rid of.  I wish I knew of a "silver bullet", but as my wife, not so gently, reminded me, "eating less works wonders".

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »

Even if I were in the best shape of my life, I would fail. I can't run a mile. Never been able to. Even the year I biked 240 km for a clinic (bicycled), I couldn't run long distances. Now, overweight and with my buggered knee? Not going to happen. My college career is, effectively, over. And I doubt that if I have to run a mile to qualify, that I ever will get back.
I know marathoners that can't run a mile without stopping and still run +/-10min/mile for 26 miles. (4:30 or so finishing time)
What is your 1 mile time limit? - I can get you there.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 12:21:03 PM by TampaSteve »

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 04:56:58 PM »
I have to run a 12-minute mile.
Right now, I can't run across the street without knee discomfort.
In fact, I have an acute fear that even attempting to do so might destroy my knee - and my chances of doing other football in the fall.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 05:43:05 PM »
 You are injured and you haven't recovered to the extent that you think you should be.   Have you consulted your doctor?  A physical therapist?  A trainer?  Not sure what your specific knee injury is but even athletes sometimes don't fully feel good about an injured knee when they try to come back.  Depending on the injury and severity, it might be two years before they feel right about it.

You are staring at the fact that you might not be able to continue working at the level you've become accustomed.   Rather than depressing yourself, be thankful you had the ability to call at the collegiate level for the time that you did.  Most of us will never get there.  You did.

Maybe you should take the season off, concentrate on rehab, and see how you feel in 2012.   Maybe you can spend the season volunteering to evaluate other officials, operate the clock, help with video analysis.

If the desire isn't there, don't force it.  Perhaps it will be time to explore other interests.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:45:26 PM by HLinNC »

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 12:19:47 PM »
In fact, I have an acute fear that even attempting to do so might destroy my knee - and my chances of doing other football in the fall.
If you're hurt, you're hurt.  Why risk a lifetime of walking canes or wheelchairs or knee replacement for a season?

First, look into BioFreeze. - maybe it will get the blood flowing @the knee and it may feel better.  Goodness doing just a bit of walking will get blood flowing and maybe relieve some of the soreness.

Nevertheless for a 12min mile.  Here's the plan: run for 2 min, then walk for 1 min.  The walk gives you time to catch your breath.   Reference www.jeffgalloway.com  (galloway is a former olympic marathoner andis a a main guru in US marathoning.
While I'm not a marathoner (as my wife says, 'you don't go all the way')  ;)   I have completed 5 half-marathons (13.1 miles) using the run/walk theory that galloway preaches.

Whatever time you want/need to run, there's a run/walk technique to fit you.

Anorak

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2011, 01:59:56 AM »

The first thing is that if you screwed up your ACL or MCL, it may take a full year to heal. I've seen enough football players spend entire offseasons trying to rehab that injury to know that you don't mess around with it. If you aren't fully recovered, it's not worth risking permanent damage for the 8 games a year you're going to get in the college league.

The other thing is that if your head and heart are not in it, then it's time to get out. I gave up a sport a couple of years ago, and I haven't missed it. If you don't want to be there, it will show up in your performance.

Since you're an umpire, perhaps you could just hide a  sNiCkErS a mile down the road. You should be able to get it in no time.  ;D

Offline sj

• FAN REACTION: +5/-0
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 03:42:17 PM »
Perhaps there's a way to take a year off with the idea of coming back next year. And then this fall stay involved by evaluating, filming games and crews etc.

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 03:53:00 PM »
Perhaps there's a way to take a year off with the idea of coming back next year. And then this fall stay involved by evaluating, filming games and crews etc.

Well, I've backed away from university ball this year, but I hope to keep going at high school levels. I've got a game Sunday, that will test things a bit - little tweakers. And I've also signed on to ref some minor soccer, in order to start getting somewhat into shape.

refjb

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
Good decision. Stck with it as long as you can. There will be a time when we all we have to think about giving it up and I'm sure we all will be very depressed. Just be thankful for how long you have done it and how far you have gone. Look at the bright side of things.

Keep us up to date buddy.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 05:42:52 AM by refjb »

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 05:52:31 AM »
Update: after working a spring kid's game and umpiring a senior men's game, I felt it worth giving a shot.

This morning, I feel like a trio of Amazons had their way with me, but I made standards.

Still a long way to go, fitness wise, But I have three months to trim down a bit.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:27:46 AM »
I've also had a slip this year that might be a subconscious attempt to sabotage myself.

Working SJ in a game and I notice the defensive coordinator is using a walkie-talkie to communicate with someone in the stands. I know there is something in the rulebook, but not sure if it is really forbidden.
I check with the BJ - he says forbidden.
I stop the clock and go the the R (don't throw a flag yet) - he points out the book says it is not regulated.
On the way back to my position the coach takes a verbal swipe at me and says 'you should have asked me, I know the rules.'
I mutter under my breath (actually I thought I just thought it) - 'Like your a freaking expert.'
(one side note, this coach phones one of his friends that was on the crew the day before to ask if #99 would be OK to catch passes - definitely not an expert).
He hears it, and substitutes a different f word in there, raises a big stink with the R.
I agree immediately that I should not have said anything and apologize to the coach (while pointing out that his interpretation is not what I said).
2 weeks later I see that I have been reassigned away from a game with this team.

I only find out that I am being reprimanded when I phone the assigner and ask. He has pulled me from officiating that team for the rest of the year (highest level in the area). I am a very disappointed in myself for the lapse, but also disappointed that the assigner never contacted me to ask my side of events (to which I can only say I had a bad day).

I'm not sure how I let something like that slip out, but it did happen, and between it happening and the lack of due process involved I was really thinking of hanging it up.
Since then I have done some youth games, and had reasonable coaches, and brought me back to why I like to go and spend my time with this.

Grant - AR

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »
Update: after working a spring kid's game and umpiring a senior men's game, I felt it worth giving a shot.

This morning, I feel like a trio of Amazons had their way with me, but I made standards.

Still a long way to go, fitness wise, But I have three months to trim down a bit.

Great!  Keep working and stay away from the  sNiCkErS

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 12:37:04 PM »
This morning, I feel like a trio of Amazons had their way with me,

You say that like its a bad thing ???

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 06:40:03 PM »
You say that like its a bad thing ???

I should have added "but without the smile."

I was walking around the office like I'd had a Depends failure. And then the soccer guy wants me to ref a women's game Wednesday night.

Chinese curse. I live it.

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 07:15:29 PM »
My creed - "No good deed goes unpunished." :-\