Football Officiating > Classics

"Hidden" Changes - 2011 NCAA Rules

<< < (3/20) > >>

Diablo:
Take a look at the new organization of 7-1-3.  To me, the new aspect is that Team A players not conforming to the 9-yard requirements is a dead-ball foul - blow and throw at the snap.  Just like the former illegal participation.

TXMike:
That is what it looks like. This is starting to get a bit much.  By allowing the ball to be snapped but then shutting it down, we are in effect possibly preventing the defense from making a big play which they would accept over the relatively minor penalty for  the minor infraction. Why stop with just the ones we have so far?  Why not shut it down at the snap when Team A has a player illegally in motion?  Or Team A has a formation problem? 

Diablo:
Probably more clarification of a known given, rather then meaningful change:
It is now legal to clip and block below the waist against a runner - see 9-1-5-Exception 5 and 9-1-6-Exception 1, respectively.  In previous years, it was the "ball carrier".

Andrew McCarthy:
Rule 9

Contacting an Official

ARTICLE 4. Persons subject to the rules shall not intentionally contact a game official forcibly during the game

It used to read...

ARTICLE 4. Intentionally contacting a game official physically during the game by persons subject to the rules is a foul.

El Macman:

What is forcibly? Anything I want it to be. But, haven't had to use that rule in 38 years. Here's to hoping I never have to use it.

--- Quote from: Andrew McCarthy on May 27, 2011, 02:55:17 PM ---Rule 9

Contacting an Official

ARTICLE 4. Persons subject to the rules shall not intentionally contact a game official forcibly during the game

It used to read...

ARTICLE 4. Intentionally contacting a game official physically during the game by persons subject to the rules is a foul.

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version