Author Topic: What was your single toughest play to officiate?  (Read 3117 times)

AFSST

What was your single toughest play to officiate?
« on: September 15, 2012, 10:20:16 PM »
I had mine last night.

I was the HL.  Team A has the ball on the B-25.  The QB takes a 1 step drop and throws a high, arching pass toward the left pylon.  A and B both go up for the ball about 1 yard from the sideline and 1 yard from the EZ.  The ball is not caught by either player, but still remains right above their outstretched arms (by a slight bat) as they are both attempting to catch the pass.  They barely cross into the EZ and B finally secures the ball.  A then grabs the ball as well (simultaneous possession).  So I blow the whistle as the ball is dead.  I had to process the following in about 2 seconds:

1. Was either player out of bounds as they touched the ball?
2. Did B really intercept the ball instead of A catching the ball?
3. Did they really have simultaneous possession?
4. When EXACTLY did B gain possession?  Did B gain possession in the EZ for a touchback, or did he gain possession in the field of play (momentum rule)?

The BJ and I had a quick conversation and he had the same ruling as I did, so I signaled a touchback.  A's coach was obviously upset because he could clearly see the play from 50 yards away (opposite sideline).  Hope I can get a copy of the game film to see if we made the correct ruling.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +125/-22
Re: What was your single toughest play to officiate?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 05:53:28 AM »
 I think simultaneous possession should be an extremely rare occurrence.  In many instances what appears to be simultaneous is merely a strip of a player already down by rule.  You certainly had a lot to process on this play.  It is critical that you and the BJ communicate to insure you have the same ruling and that your signals will coincide.

AFSST

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:31:03 AM »
Agreed...they never went to the ground.  They both had possession in the EZ, kind of like middle school basketball players have possession for a held ball.   

chymechowder

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 05:17:47 PM »
If they never went to the ground, might it have been a TD?  I thought there was an AR (once) about A snatching ball from B after an interception in EZ?

add: I'm going off of NCAA rules. also, I'm not suggesting your call was incorrect!

AFSST

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
B had the ball in the EZ.  If A had "snatched" the ball from B, I would have ruled a TD.  However, when A reached in and grabbed the ball, they both had possession, so the ball is dead by rule.

Offline Kalle

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +108/-35
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 10:59:10 PM »
Sounds like the NFHS rules differ from the NCAA rules here. In NCAA there is no simultaneous possession rule, there are only rules for simultaneous catch/recovery of passes, fumbles and kicks. So in NCAA this would have been a TD. See A.R. 4-1-3-I-b.