Author Topic: NO GAME.....GONE FISHING.....  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +864/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
NO GAME.....GONE FISHING.....
« on: May 08, 2021, 12:10:53 PM »
I started umpiring baseball in 1966. I've had many cancellations and postponements. Most with a good reason, some....well,,,I'll let you decide  ::). Today I was scheduled to ump at a small school 35 miles away. They were scheduled to play an even smaller school 120+ miles from them.

Maine has a "Free Fishing Weekend" once every year for those under 18 with the hopes of getting them "hooked" and licensed  ;D . The home AD phoned me a few minutes ago to inform me of the cancellation. Some games had been cancelled earlier this season because of Corona, so I wasn't too surprised until he informed me that the loyal opposition had only 11 players and 4 had decided to go fishing  :(….

….Oh well, the Red Sox are still in first  tR:oLl

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
Re: NO GAME.....GONE FISHING.....
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 03:54:44 PM »
I started umpiring baseball in 1966. I've had many cancellations and postponements. Most with a good reason, some....well,,,I'll let you decide  ::). Today I was scheduled to ump at a small school 35 miles away. They were scheduled to play an even smaller school 120+ miles from them.

Maine has a "Free Fishing Weekend" once every year for those under 18 with the hopes of getting them "hooked" and licensed  ;D . The home AD phoned me a few minutes ago to inform me of the cancellation. Some games had been cancelled earlier this season because of Corona, so I wasn't too surprised until he informed me that the loyal opposition had only 11 players and 4 had decided to go fishing  :(….

….Oh well, the Red Sox are still in first  tR:oLl

Ralph,
Does Maine offer bass fishing as a championship sport?
The state bass fishing final is today in GA.  The baseball brackets are arranged so that this weekend is clear for participants.  Should your school have known of the "free fishing" Saturday before their schedule was made?

The first GHSA Bass Fishing State Championship, presented by Georgia Farm Bureau Insurance, will take place May 8, 2021 at Lake Lanier. A total of 68 boats have qualified for the event with their results at four qualifying tournaments held in January, February, March and April.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 10:15:18 PM »
Going fishing sure beats the 5 hour softball game with a final score of 46 to 45.  Not a typo.  I figure if that was a baseball game it would be a 10 hour game.  Regardless,  where was the defense?  Happened in Alabama.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2021, 04:46:03 AM »
While I have never been into hunting or fishing , I can understand the choice made by some of the players....

DO I : Ride in a old school bus for 240+ round trip over bumpy ole' roads to play a team that beat us 19-0 at home a few weeks ago  ??? ??? ?
………………………………………..or,
DO I : Go fishing with my buds  yEs: yEs: yEs: and hope the  >:D prom queen  >:D shows up,too   tR:oLl

While hunting and fishing are very popular in Maine, they haven't crept into competitive school sports, yet. We have a lakeside cottage and once a year the lake hosts a bass fishing tourney - I sit on our dock and watch the boats go by and later fire up the grill to  gnaw on the carcus of a mutalated  mammal  eAt&. Ice fishing is probably more popular in Maine than either Georgia or Texas, but is purely an adult sport as it often includes antifreeze for the fishermen :P.

IMHO, defense in softball is usually the pitcher, Jason. The batters were probably allowed to toss the ball up and hit it  :!# ;D.

A fishing pole or baseball bat, you make the call.....  tR:oLl

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2021, 07:39:25 AM »
Going fishing sure beats the 5 hour softball game with a final score of 46 to 45.  Not a typo.  I figure if that was a baseball game it would be a 10 hour game.  Regardless,  where was the defense?  Happened in Alabama.

The line score was:
Winner 46-15-6
Loser  45-5-8

There were 65 total walks and 29 total HBP in that game.  Both teams ran out of water, & parents had to make a WalMart run for resupplies.

If I had a 5+ hour game, I believe I’d just shoot myself right then and there.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2021, 04:34:14 AM »
The line score was:
Winner 46-15-6
Loser  45-5-8

There were 65 total walks and 29 total HBP in that game.  Both teams ran out of water, & parents had to make a WalMart run for resupplies.

If I had a 5+ hour game, I believe I’d just shoot myself right then and there.
I hope this was neither a high school nor college game  :!# ! In Maine, most of our softball and baseball fields border each other and I could probably count on one hand the number of times the baseball game has finished before the softball has. The drawback to these games ,IMHO, is the lack of a game clock - like football. Some sub-varsity and middle school leagues do have a rule that no inning will start after the game lasted two hours....not a bad rule !
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 10:11:39 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2021, 07:13:40 AM »
Not only was this a HS game, it was a playoff game.

A couple of years ago, AHSAA instituted time limits for sub-varsity baseball.  Middle schools are limited to 2 hours, and the HS JV limit is 2.5 hours.  Some games, by mutual agreement, have used a shorter time limit.

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2021, 09:16:29 AM »
A major league stat that I heard a few years back, but with the advent of replay, has not gotten better is scarey ....

A MAJOR LEAGUE GAME LASTS ON AVERAGE THREE-PLUS HOURS.
OF THAT TIME , THE BALL IS ONLY IN PLAY (hit/thrown/pitched/etc) FOR 3 1/2 MINUTES

The majority of that down time involves the pitcher scowling at the batter, whose scratching his...er...chin  :o .
IMHO, "America's National Pastime" is becoming "America's Pasttense" to the youth of america. 15 years ago, Maine had 41 American Legion (ages 15-18) teams. I'm told thiis summer there will be but 8.

hEaDbAnG THAT'S MY RANT OF THE DAY  pi1eOn

Offline ilyazhito

• FAN REACTION: +11/-13
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2021, 10:49:44 AM »
The amount of dead time is a major reason why I stopped umpiring baseball. It was no longer fun to work games where I would stand around for long periods of time in either A (traditional mechanics, no one on base), or the B/C positions (runners on base, or no one on in modified COVID-19 mechanics) waiting for the ball to be put in play. Unless I was working older age groups (16U+), most stolen base attempts were non-competitive, so I really didn't have much to do as the 1st base umpire. It's marginally better calling balls and strikes from behind the plate, because I need to pay attention to the game for my own safety, but having to call balls on many consecutive pitches, some of which just barely miss the strike zone, wears on everyone. It's a pity that many things that you learn in training class (how to rotate as the plate umpire, stolen base mechanics, following the runner to 1B as the plate umpire) are rarely useful, because many situations don't happen very often.

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 10:57:40 AM »
A major league stat that I heard a few years back, but with the advent of replay, has not gotten better is scarey ....

A MAJOR LEAGUE GAME LASTS ON AVERAGE THREE-PLUS HOURS.
OF THAT TIME , THE BALL IS ONLY IN PLAY (hit/thrown/pitched/etc) FOR 3 1/2 MINUTES

I saw a stat somewhere that said for football, 8 min for high school football, 11 for college/NFL was the average amount of time the ball was in play.

I don't know what to do this this information, I'm just storing it in my attic for some random trivia, LOL

Offline Ralph Damren

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2021, 04:39:37 AM »
I saw a stat somewhere that said for football, 8 min for high school football, 11 for college/NFL was the average amount of time the ball was in play.

I don't know what to do this this information, I'm just storing it in my attic for some random trivia, LOL
Early morning math : Assuming each team runs 60 plays, each play lasts 11 seconds....

120 X 11 = 1,320 seconds = 22 minutes of 48 time where something is happening....

Basketball = 32 minutes of time = 32 minutes of happenings
Ice hockey = 60 minutes of time = 60 minutes of happenings

Ai least we  z^ z^ z^ z^ z^ git a chance to catch our breath  ;D