Author Topic: Rule 6 Kicking Game  (Read 502 times)

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +8/-0
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
Rule 6 Kicking Game
« on: February 08, 2021, 10:43:52 AM »
I'm in the rule book under Rule 6 Section 2 (scrimmage kicks) and have a couple of things I found interesting and wondered if anybody else has some thoughts:

6.2.1  "R may not punt, drop kick or place kick".  This must be a holdover from the early football days when I understand the game looked more like rugby.  But I could also envision a case where a muffed ball is about to be picked up by K and R with no other recourse kicks the ball away.  My understanding this would be an illegal kick and 10 yard penalty from the spot of the foul but R maintains possession.  Has anybody seen this happen?

6.2.2.  Here again the rule book allows that "R may catch or recover a scrimmage kick in K's end zone".  This seems so much more plausible to me than R catching or recovering a 'free-kick' in K's end zone and acknowledges that unlike R's endzone, K's endzone is still in the field of play and balls that cross it do not cause the play to be dead.

Offline Derek Teigen

Re: Rule 6 Kicking Game
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 12:18:27 PM »
its also interesting that the verbage in 6.2.1  "R may not punt, drop kick or place kick" is not found in section 1 under 'FREE KICKS'.  If it is not in the rule book what would happen if R actually punted the ball back to K after receiving a free kick?  Illegal kick?  But what is the rule citation??

Offline zebraken

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 07:53:24 PM »
9-7-1

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +91/-26
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 07:49:18 AM »
Derek:

It will help those reading your posts if you will use dashes as separators when quoting from the Rule Book.  Periods are used for Case Book plays.  (6-2-1 as opposed to 6.2.1)

Thanks!

Offline zebraken

• FAN REACTION: +1/-0
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 08:16:56 AM »
That is correct. Thatís why I used dashes when I was referring to rule 9-7-1

Offline Derek Teigen

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 09:46:18 AM »
Thanks Bama for letting me know and thanks Zebraken for posting the rule!

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 10:55:46 AM »
6.2.2.  Here again the rule book allows that "R may catch or recover a scrimmage kick in K's end zone".  This seems so much more plausible to me than R catching or recovering a 'free-kick' in K's end zone and acknowledges that unlike R's endzone, K's endzone is still in the field of play and balls that cross it do not cause the play to be dead.

Be careful in stating your interpretation.  Agree that a Kick in K's endzone is still a live ball, however by rule/definition it is not in the "field of play."

2-10-1 . . . The field is the area within the boundary lines and the endlines.
2-10-2 . . . The field of play is the area within the boundary lines and the goal Iines.
2-10-3 . . . The side zones are the areas bounded by the sidelines, the hash
marks and the goal lines.
2-10-4 . . . The end zones are 10 yards in depth and are located at each end of
the field between the goal line and the end line. The goal line is in the end zone and
a team's end zone is the one it is defending.

Offline Derek Teigen

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 11:15:04 AM »
thanks for pointing out the distinction.  I've learned in here language is very important.  It's important to be precise! 

Offline Ump33

• FAN REACTION: +6/-3
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2021, 11:20:49 AM »
thanks for pointing out the distinction.  I've learned in here language is very important.  It's important to be precise!
Especially when taking the NFHS Exam

Online Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +485/-27
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2021, 12:35:49 PM »
its also interesting that the verbage in 6.2.1  "R may not punt, drop kick or place kick" is not found in section 1 under 'FREE KICKS'.  If it is not in the rule book what would happen if R actually punted the ball back to K after receiving a free kick?  Illegal kick?  But what is the rule citation??
6-2-1 covers it : "...before COP". This was legal in NFHS until 1968 and termed a return kick. I believe it is still legal in the CFL and used to prevent an one point rouge.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +48/-5
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »
6-2-1 covers it : "...before COP". This was legal in NFHS until 1968 and termed a return kick. I believe it is still legal in the CFL and used to prevent an one point rouge.

Exhibit A

Montreal attempts a field goal, misses wide. Toronto then punts the ball out of the end zone, lest Montreal score a single (no longer called a rouge). Montreal catches that punt and punts it *back* into the end zone where Toronto is unable to get it out of the end zone, but Montreal ends up recovering for a touchdown.