Author Topic: Timing question  (Read 1552 times)

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Timing question
« on: February 15, 2021, 07:43:48 AM »
3.4.7 SITUATION B:

With less than a minute remaining in the game, the score is 21-20 in favor of B. The game clock is running and the ball is on B's 10-yard line. An option play on third down gains 5 yards, but is short of a first down. Following the tackle: (a) B players are slow unpiling and a penalty marker is dropped; or (b) the tackler B1 holds A1 down for a few moments, but the covering official does not judge the action to be illegal.

RULING: In (a), the delay penalty is a situation which automatically dictates the game clock will not be started until the snap. In (b), even though B1 held A1 down momentarily, the game clock will continue to run because no foul was called.

COMMENT: In some situations there is a delay in unpiling and no individual player or team is to blame. In such situations the referee is authorized to stop the game clock momentarily so no more clock time than normal is used in getting the ball ready for play. (3-4-3h)

Assuming there is a situation involving the comment above, and I decide to stop the game clock momentarily to unpile the players. When I restart the game clock, do I put :40 or :25 on the play clock? I’m assuming :40.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline sczeebra

• FAN REACTION: +4/-6
Re: Timing question
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 08:23:35 AM »
Moved to another post.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 08:25:07 AM by sczeebra »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2021, 08:26:32 AM »
I'm not sure that it will really matter on (b) since A is the one behind in the case play.  If you are going to wind the game clock on the RFP, A will not intend to milk any further time off the game clock.  Set to :25 on the PC under 3-5-7j, "unusual delay".

In (a) we're stopping the clock for the delay foul under 3-5-7i and not winding until the snap anyway, setting the play clock to :25

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2021, 08:26:34 AM »
Which post did you move it to?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2021, 09:33:47 AM »
I'm not sure that it will really matter on (b) since A is the one behind in the case play.  If you are going to wind the game clock on the RFP, A will not intend to milk any further time off the game clock.  Set to :25 on the PC under 3-5-7j, "unusual delay".

In (a) we're stopping the clock for the delay foul under 3-5-7i and not winding until the snap anyway, setting the play clock to :25

Setting, and subsequently starting the play clock at 25 seconds, provides the Referee, with WHATEVER TIME DEEMED NECESSARY to adequately assess and deal with whatever "unusual circumstances" created the clock stoppage, so there is no practical need for any additional (15 second) intra-play delay.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2021, 03:58:24 PM »
I know this is NHFS side of the house, and I don't have a copy of the NHFS rulebook, but for NCAA there is a specific rule for this:

3-2-4-c
25-Second Clock. If the officials signal the game clock to be stopped for any of the following reasons, the referee shall signal (one open palm in an over-the-head pumping motion) that the clock should be set at 25 seconds:
1. Penalty administration.
2. Charged team timeout.
3. Media timeout.
4. Injury timeout for a player of the offensive team only. The play clock is
set to 40 seconds for an injury to a player of the defensive team.
5. Measurement.
6. Team B is awarded a first down.
7. After a kick down other than a free kick.
8. Score other than a touchdown (not the try).
9. Start of each period.
10. Start of a team’s possession series in an extra period.
11. Instant replay review.
12. Other administrative stoppage.
13. An offensive team player’s helmet comes completely off through play.
The play clock is set to 40 seconds if the helmet comes completely off
a player of the defensive team.
When play is to be resumed, the referee will give the ready-for-play
signal [S1] and the play clock will begin its count.

So while not relevant to the NHFS code, I point it out, because in the absence of a rule in the NHFS rulebook, there's nothing that says it shouldn't be 40, as if it were a regular play with no stoppage. 

JMO

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2021, 04:36:06 PM »
I cited the two corresponding NFHS rules in my post.

Online dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 05:30:34 PM »
reading is overrated, didn't see that.  my bad.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2021, 05:46:19 PM »
I know this is NHFS side of the house, and I don't have a copy of the NHFS rulebook, but for NCAA there is a specific rule for this:

So while not relevant to the NHFS code, I point it out, because in the absence of a rule in the NHFS rulebook, there's nothing that says it shouldn't be 40, as if it were a regular play with no stoppage.
JMO

Actually, the NFHS Code does define protocol for administration of the RFP in NFHS:3-6-1: through 4 including 1-a which states; Play Clock " 25 Seconds will be on the play clock and start of the RFP signal,  Listing 7 specific situations and 3 "Referenced Exceptions" including a-1-g: providing additional guidance and flexibility suggesting,  "Following the stoppage of the play clock by the referee[/b][/i] for any other reason."
« Last Edit: February 15, 2021, 05:49:12 PM by AlUpstateNY »