Author Topic: Illegal Block in the Back?  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Derek Teigen

• FAN REACTION: +19/-1
  • Committed to the game; safety and sportsmanship
Illegal Block in the Back?
« on: March 28, 2021, 05:50:53 PM »
saw this play on film today.    wideout catches a short pass a couple of yards beyond the line of scrimmage and as he begins to run  downfield he is hit and the ball is popped out some yards behind him.  the big offensive lineman tries to get to the ball.  As he is going for the ball another player from B lays a shoulder into his back knocking A68 into the ground and B recovers. 

In seeing the play i feel like B thought A was going to get the ball so in order to disrupt him he pushed him from behind.  Is this an illegal block in the back on B?

thank you.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Illegal Block in the Back?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2021, 05:57:01 PM »
saw this play on film today.    wideout catches a short pass a couple of yards beyond the line of scrimmage and as he begins to run  downfield he is hit and the ball is popped out some yards behind him.  the big offensive lineman tries to get to the ball.  As he is going for the ball another player from B lays a shoulder into his back knocking A68 into the ground and B recovers. 

In seeing the play i feel like B thought A was going to get the ball so in order to disrupt him he pushed him from behind.  Is this an illegal block in the back on B?

thank you.
Did he push him? Or hit him with his shoulder?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2021, 05:57:54 PM »
No foul for BIB.

9-3-5b. A player shall not block an opponent in the back except:

b. Using hands or arms to contact an opponent about he waist to [...] catch or recover a loose ball which he may legally touch or possess.

Now, you could make an argument about illegal use of hands/holding if B wasn't making any attempt to go toward the loose ball and was only trying to hold A back, but that would have to be *really* obvious/blatant for a hold in that scenario.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2021, 05:59:40 PM »
No foul for BIB.

9-3-5b. A player shall not block an opponent in the back except:

b. Using hands or arms to contact an opponent about he waist to [...] catch or recover a loose ball which he may legally touch or possess.

Now, you could make an argument about illegal use of hands/holding if B wasn't making any attempt to go toward the loose ball and was only trying to hold A back, but that would have to be *really* obvious/blatant for a hold in that scenario.
I agree if he used hands or arms to push away. Different animal if he lowered his shoulder and hit the guy in the back. At least, that’s the way I read the rule.

Offline Derek Teigen

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2021, 06:05:32 PM »

As I see it A was about to pounce on the ball but then B hit him from behind with a kind of arm shiver that ended with his shoulder delivering the blow that disrupted A in his attempt to recover the fumble.  Then B fell on the ball almost immediately.  bang-bang like that.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2021, 06:07:50 PM »
As I see it A was about to pounce on the ball but then B hit him from behind with a kind of arm shiver that ended with his shoulder delivering the blow that disrupted A in his attempt to recover the fumble.  Then B fell on the ball almost immediately.  bang-bang like that.
I’m like wingman. No foul

Offline Derek Teigen

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2021, 06:10:38 PM »
I’m like wingman. No foul

ok thanks guys.

Offline AlUpstateNY

• FAN REACTION: +341/-919
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2021, 06:36:59 PM »
ok thanks guys.

Under the NFHS code, 2-3-4 & 5 add specific details as to what a n "Offensive" and/or "Defensive" player "may also do" if they are "attempting to secure (or gain possession of a loose ball (they may
legally touch or possess).

All 10 Articles of 2-3 contain valuable, clearly stated details about blocking.