Author Topic: Field Strobe Lights  (Read 314 times)

Offline Patrick E.

• FAN REACTION: +4/-3
Field Strobe Lights
« on: March 30, 2021, 07:51:46 PM »
Anybody have these type of strobe lights at their fields that are employed when the home team scores?

https://www.musco.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/videos/FB_Touchdown.mp4

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +72/-40
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
Re: Field Strobe Lights
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 07:59:00 PM »
Anybody have these type of strobe lights at their fields that are employed when the home team scores?

Lol. Nope. We struggle to have lights. Period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +114/-85
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 09:43:40 PM »

These arenít really strobe lights. They are simply LED lights. LEDs have evolved very quickly since their introduction, are they now to a point that the same fixture can be tuned to virtually any color of the rainbow and can switch colors in milliseconds; can be dimmed to any level; and can switch on/off instantaneously. It just depends on the sophistication of the driver. Most LED fixtures have drivers that offer dimming and variable white light. The most sophisticated can offer any level of any color, any level of switching, any level of dimming, and super rapid on/off. What you are seeing in that video is the various fixtures are programmed to switch on/off sequentially, and rapidly, giving a pseudo strobe effect.
Not at all surprising coming from Musco - the pre-eminent sports lighting company in the world. You will see this type of lighting very commonplace within the next five years.

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +6/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 10:10:44 PM »
I officiated a playoff game with these lights installed in the playoffs last year. Surprising the first time they did a routine during pregame, no issues during the game though.

Offline NVFOA_Ump

• FAN REACTION: +79/-112
  • High School (MA & RI)
    • Massachusetts Independent Football Officials Association
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2021, 07:21:27 AM »
Hope nobody in the stadium is impacted by flicker vertigo.  ;D
It's easy to get the players, getting 'em to play together, that's the hard part. - Casey Stengel

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 07:58:56 AM »
Hope nobody in the stadium is impacted by flicker vertigo.  ;D
I would be drunk as a monkey.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +91/-26
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 08:03:08 AM »
One of our schools has these lights. Theyíre somewhat annoying to me, but maybe not as much as the bands that play the SportsCenter theme all night because itís the only song they know.

Also not as annoying as the school that fires a cannon from their pirate ship every time they score.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2021, 08:11:43 AM »
One of our schools has these lights. Theyíre somewhat annoying to me, but maybe not as much as the bands that play the SportsCenter theme all night because itís the only song they know.

Also not as annoying as the school that fires a cannon from their pirate ship every time they score.
While we are ranting, Iím really tired of the fireworks show before kickoff. It was kool the first 10,000 times but itís lost its luster for me.

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +48/-5
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2021, 09:10:51 AM »
This is probably the only time I'm glad most of the games I work are not in the most.... affluent... areas.

I mean, I think school districts should be getting a lot more funds and some are definitely hurting because of it -- but we're a long way from fireworks and laser show money.

Online HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +97/-15
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 12:53:05 PM »
but we're a long way from fireworks and laser show money.

Amen, brother, amen.

Offline oklahomaRef

• FAN REACTION: +3/-0
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2021, 04:52:13 PM »
I worked a game last season where they had these lights. It seems a little over the top to me. They used them when the team came out to the field, they used them when they scored and then used them during the halftime show. I think my crew was lucky the home team only scored once, and we didn't half to put up with it too much.