Author Topic: Your Santa's ....WHOOPS!.....football's wish list......  (Read 2521 times)

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
Your Santa's ....WHOOPS!.....football's wish list......
« on: June 22, 2021, 08:12:41 AM »
It has been a long time since many of us have had the chance to work a real football game. Hopefully things will be back to normal for most in the upcoming season. Please share your feelings on this, I'll start with mine :

Maine has approved football to be played as we are used to. Scheduling  and attendance , as in the past, are also is we are used to. As we welcome back life as (near) normal, we should remember some of the good health habits we may have developed. For me, my washing hands and refraining from touching my face seem to have stuck. At age 75, I'm unsure how many games I have in me, but will feel blessed with every one. :bOW

NOW, YOURS...…. 
« Last Edit: June 22, 2021, 08:35:26 AM by Ralph Damren »

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Your Santa's ....WHOOPS!.....football's wish list......
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2021, 08:25:53 AM »
Masks are already hitting the bargain bin or "buy something get a free mask" here, I've noticed.

My wish list includes schools continuing to webcast their games via NFHS or YouTube or other platforms.  I subscribed to the NFHS Network back in the fall when all NC was playing was private school games; hoping to watch games from out of state that had decided to play.  With a screen capture app this spring, I was able to cut a lot of clips from games in our region for study this summer.  Our Hudl cooperation with schools varies so it ended up being a great resource for us.

For those older folks who still don't feel safe or can't make it out on a Friday night or for those relatives that live out of town, webcasting would be a great way to keep up with the grandkids, nieces and nephews and others.

That being said, I hope Hudl and like resources fixes the glitch in their automated camera systems.  Plays moving quickly downfield and near the goal line seemed to be missed as the tracking can't keep up.  A good ole fashioned human manning a camera on a tripod still seems to be the best way to catch all the action.

Offline CalhounLJ

• FAN REACTION: +134/-1004
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2021, 08:38:45 AM »
My wish is for my state to go back to arbiter for pay and scheduling. Dragonfly sux.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ncwingman

• FAN REACTION: +72/-13
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2021, 10:19:51 AM »
Our Hudl cooperation with schools varies so it ended up being a great resource for us.

A few years ago, there was a push to get as many games on Hudl as possible. I know that Mark made a deal that he wouldn't review any plays if the games weren't available for officials to review, and the result was getting the vast majority of game film. Out of 12 weeks, I'd get 11 films -- sometimes both home and away for a game too. I don't know what's happened, but that has severely dropped off and I wish it would come back. In the last two seasons, I've gotten a grand total of ZERO games on Hudl.

At least it's consistently not happening?

My wish is for my state to go back to arbiter for pay and scheduling. Dragonfly sux.

We're about to make the full transition here. What terribleness do I have to look forward to?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2021, 10:38:40 AM »
A few years ago, there was a push to get as many games on Hudl as possible. I know that Mark made a deal that he wouldn't review any plays if the games weren't available for officials to review, and the result was getting the vast majority of game film. Out of 12 weeks, I'd get 11 films -- sometimes both home and away for a game too. I don't know what's happened, but that has severely dropped off and I wish it would come back. In the last two seasons, I've gotten a grand total of ZERO games on Hudl.

At least it's consistently not happening?

We're about to make the full transition here. What terribleness do I have to look forward to?
It’s been an assignor’s nightmare. Losing officials in their lists, not being able to group officials to crews, games not showing up. The one thing I do like is being able to text/email my game day notice to all officials coaches and school personnel with one click.

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2021, 10:43:24 AM »

Do you have the option to use another assigning software, even though you will have to pay for it?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2021, 10:48:49 AM »
No it’s Dragonfly or bust here in Mississippi

Offline GA Umpire

• Refstripes Hero
  • FAN REACTION: +30/-3
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2021, 10:54:59 AM »
No it’s Dragonfly or bust here in Mississippi

Bummer.

In GA we still have the option.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2021, 10:56:06 AM »
There’s been talk that the state is going back to arbiter but my assignor is like don’t hold your breath.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2021, 07:26:48 AM »
It’s been an assignor’s nightmare. Losing officials in their lists, not being able to group officials to crews, games not showing up. The one thing I do like is being able to text/email my game day notice to all officials coaches and school personnel with one click.

Just be glad you don’t assign baseball.  I had a first-round playoff series that didn’t show up until Wednesday morning before the Friday start, because the school didn’t know they were supposed to enter the games into DragonFly.

And the payment module was so clunky that some of my guys didn’t get paid for first-round games for three weeks.

Sometimes you actually DO get what you pay for.

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2021, 08:02:16 AM »
Just be glad you don’t assign baseball.  I had a first-round playoff series that didn’t show up until Wednesday morning before the Friday start, because the school didn’t know they were supposed to enter the games into DragonFly.

And the payment module was so clunky that some of my guys didn’t get paid for first-round games for three weeks.

Sometimes you actually DO get what you pay for.
Exactly. That’s what has happened here. Nobody is happy with it except the ones counting the money.

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2021, 08:28:27 AM »
Exactly. That’s what has happened here. Nobody is happy with it except the ones counting the money.

How much more expensive is Arbiter than Dragonfly?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2021, 08:51:06 AM »
How much more expensive is Arbiter than Dragonfly?
The problem with arbiter is they started charging schools for the service. As long as it was just officials paying it was fine. When the schools had to start all of a sudden it became a problem.

Offline SCline

• FAN REACTION: +7/-1
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2021, 06:13:52 PM »
Did arbiter start charging the schools before or after they got hacked a few years ago?

Offline CalhounLJ

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2021, 06:15:15 PM »
Did arbiter start charging the schools before or after they got hacked a few years ago?
I’m not sure. I think it was about 2 years ago when they started charging schools a fee to schedule.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2021, 12:28:35 PM »
All I know is our state office wasn't happy with Arbiter and thus we're switching to DF Max.  So far all we've done the past two (20 & 21) seasons is register and take the NFHS exam on DFMax.  Local game assignments still came via The Arbiter and the few schools that use it paid us via ArbiterPay.

I imagine since the NFHS has adopted Dragonfly as its baby, there would be the push for NFHS states to help raise and feed it.