Author Topic: Helmet pad for concussion - legal or not?  (Read 6893 times)

Offline maybrefguy

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
Helmet pad for concussion - legal or not?
« on: September 26, 2012, 12:25:40 PM »
A coaching friend just contacted me with an interesting question.

He has a young man who was given one of those concussion pads that attaches to the outside of a helmet.  Those are legal to wear - at least in KS.  However, their primary helmet color is purple and the pad is black.  He says it clearly makes the helmet look black.  Can the kid wear the pad since it changes the helmet color?

I sent him to our high school activity association for a ruling, but wondered what you thought.

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
Re: Helmet pad for concussion - legal or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 12:39:25 PM »
Rule just states they have to wear a helmet.  There is no rule specifying color or matching colors.  Years ago I remember our high school transitioning from gold to white shells and we had both colors out there on the field.

As a parent and as someone who works around the legal system, I'd be leery of a product ascribing to be something for concussions.  #1- if they were truly of benefit, the manufacturers would already incorporate them into the helmets.   There was a KC Chief that wore some sort of cushioned helmet back in the 60's and 70's and I think Ohio State had some sort of padded helmet back in the 60's too.  Other than that, don't see much except the Buffalo player  (Beebe?) that had the helmet top velcroed on to a  helmet thing  in the 90's.

#2- if we have a kid susceptible to concussions or questionable in recovery, I'd lean towards caution in returning to play.  If its something mom bought because it makes her feel better, I'm thinking some entity is playing on fears.

Offline maybrefguy

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 01:01:41 PM »
I think what he is talking about is the thing that Beebe had on his helmet. 

Thanks.

Offline Atlanta Blue

• FAN REACTION: +160/-71
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 02:13:14 PM »
He is proabably referring to Guardian Cap.  It is NOT what Beebe wore.  The NFHS recently said they were "not illegal".  We have a few we got as samples, one kid wore one in practice.  I don't like them because they give kids a feeling of invincibility, and they do dumb things.

Offline bama_stripes

• FAN REACTION: +115/-27
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 03:09:43 PM »
... they give kids a feeling of invincibility, and they do dumb things.

New Flash, AB:  Teenagers ALL think they're ten feet tall & bullet-proof.  "Young, dumb & full of come."

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 03:21:47 PM »
Looks like a rugby helmet-

Offline Osric Pureheart

• FAN REACTION: +18/-7
  • 1373937 or 308?
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 01:25:03 PM »
The thing about scrum-caps is that they're not meant to protect you against a direct bash on the head the way a football helmet's supposed to; they're primarily there to prevent cauliflower ears and give some degree of protection against a glancing blow.

Offline James

• FAN REACTION: +7/-6
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 01:22:50 AM »
I'm not a doctor, and haven't even had the chance to play one on TV, but don't concussions happen basically because the brain 'sloshes' around int he skull and bounces against the bone?

Offline TampaSteve

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +23/-13
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2012, 06:38:55 AM »
8/28/2012 - NFHS Statement Concerning Helmet Attachments/Accessories -
Football is a sport with inherent dangers, including the risk of head and neck injuries. Equipment manufacturers have stepped forward with various products intended to address such risks. Questions arise from time to time as to whether a given product may, rather than diminishing the incidence of injuries, in fact enhance it.
There has been some discussion lately about the efficacy of attachments to the exterior of football helmets. Until this year, we were unaware of any regulation of such products at the professional, college, high school or youth levels. Recently, the NFHS has been looking at a number of such products to see if they conflict with NFHS football rules by causing helmets to be altered in such a way as to decrease protection.
The NFHS does not perform scientific tests on any specific items of equipment to determine if the equipment poses undue risks to student-athletes or others. Such determinations are the responsibility of the equipment manufacturers. That being said, the NFHS football committee has been concerned about helmet attachments. To this point, the NFHS, like the other football rule-makers and the Consumer Products Safety Commission, has not been able to form a definitive conclusion as to whether a number of such products are, on balance, beneficial or detrimental. The Committee looked at three products: ProCap, Shockstrip and Guardian Cap. From a common sense standpoint, padding would seem to be helpful. On the other hand, the larger circumference of a padded helmet increases the likelihood of contact, and there may be a change with respect to the coefficient of friction. Because of the inconclusiveness of the available information, the NFHS Rules Review Committee does not feel itself in a position to determine that the products in question violate its rule by decreasing protection. 
There are other entities independent of the NFHS which may have a voice in the discussion, including the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE), along with other standards-setters, and the football helmet manufacturers themselves. 
In the absence of a clear answer to the “net impact on protection” issue, the decision as to whether to use or not use helmet attachments remains, at the high school level and all other levels, within the discretion of the various teams, coaches, athletes and parents. 
With respect to concussion minimization in football, helmet attachments and accessories are only part of the discussion.  So are coaching techniques for blocking and tackling, equipment fit, competitive balance and a variety of other factors.  A useful refresher on recognition and treatment of concussions may be found online at www.NFHSlearn.com: Concussion in Sports—What You Need to Know.

NFHS Rules Review Committee, August 2012

Roscoe

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2012, 10:41:49 AM »
In Georgia, we do not allow any type of helmet cover. So under our rules they are illegal and cannot be worn

schube

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2012, 09:13:46 AM »

We have seen these new attachments here in Ohio called "Shock Strip" and they have been ruled legal by the NFHS. See the attachment. If you go to the website, you will see the letter from the NFHS saying they are legal. They really are not that expensive, so i look for them to start popping up all over.

[attachment deleted by admin]