Author Topic: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci  (Read 33885 times)

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
Re: Fall Football and Dr. Fauci
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2020, 08:00:12 PM »
New York conducted a poll on hospitalized patients to trace their steps.   66% indicated they never even left their homes during the time they became infected.  18% were nursing homes, and only 3% from public transportation.   

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2020, 08:21:33 PM »
I'm hearing in NC that they are discussing alternating days for students which leads some to believe that will kill off sports if that ends up the operating plan.

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 11:06:35 PM »
How do officials wear masks?  I don't see how that could work.  There seems to be no better breeding ground for spreading this virus than maybe rest homes and cruise ships.  We see spit, sweat, blood in every game we officiate.  It gets all over the ball.  We touch the ball every play then put a whistle in our mouths with our hands.  I guess we will all have to make the choice to be infected or not officiate.  Maybe I'm overthinking this, but that seems to be our choices right now.

The only thing I can say to that is most people who contract it get no or minor symptoms. And most people who do get sick are able to recover. If they are able to determine that 20% or even 50% of the people are already carrying the antibodies and they are able to determine the antibodies provide some period of immunity, it completely changes the impact of the spread. If you add in therapies that are generally effective, the biggest risk is we have some players, coaches, officials, fans who are miss a couple weeks because they are sick.

If we have to officiate with a mask on, I don't think there will be games. That means this is still a serious enough threat to be extremely dangerous. I can't imagine officiating an entire game with a mask on. It is physically exerting and just like the mask helps prevent the spread of germs, it also confines breathing. If I'm required to wear a mask I likely don't officiate.

Offline Tom.OH

• FAN REACTION: +6/-0
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 08:34:49 AM »
How do officials wear masks?  I don't see how that could work.  There seems to be no better breeding ground for spreading this virus than maybe rest homes and cruise ships.  We see spit, sweat, blood in every game we officiate.  It gets all over the ball.  We touch the ball every play then put a whistle in our mouths with our hands.  I guess we will all have to make the choice to be infected or not officiate.  Maybe I'm overthinking this, but that seems to be our choices right now.

What happens if masks are worn and you are following a big play. At a critical time as the ball carrier is tackled by his facemask he fumbled the ball but you couldn't see it because you wear glasses and they fogged up. How do you explain to the coaches...
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. And inside of a dog, it's to dark to read."
Groucho Marx

Offline bossman72

• FAN REACTION: +301/-25
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 09:12:56 AM »
New York conducted a poll on hospitalized patients to trace their steps.   66% indicated they never even left their homes during the time they became infected.  18% were nursing homes, and only 3% from public transportation.   

I think most of the people in NYC live in apartment buildings that recirculate the same air, so that's probably how they got infected in their homes.  Forget where I heard this.

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
  • Without officials... it is only recess.
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 11:33:05 AM »
The obvious reason that masks will not work for officials is because of the whistle.  There would be no way that I can think of to blow the whistle with a mask on.  I do not believe it would be possible to properly administer the game without a whistle.  Although, I guess you could use some sort of hand held horn if it came to that.  I think if you have to wear a mask, it is probably too unsafe to play.

As I said before, I am not so much worried about getting sick myself.  I am more concerned about bringing the virus home to my family.  If there are games, I will officiate, but I am concerned about getting my family sick (or worse). 

I hope some sort of testing program for anyone who has to be on the field will be in place, but I doubt that would be the case for any level below FBS or maybe FCS.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:01:47 PM by Punter »

Offline jwkde

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »
How are they going to put these kids on a bus if there is any type of social distancing requirement or limitation on # of people gathering? 

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2020, 04:45:27 PM »
These have been used in soccer for a while so it would take care of the mask vs whistle problem. 

https://www.fox40world.com/electronic-whistle

But I wear glasses so not sure how that's going to get fixed if required.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 04:47:00 PM by HLinNC »

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2020, 07:37:54 AM »
In my recent zoom coaches clinic, one rather rude coach responded when the question of masked officials blowing whistles : " You guys only have so many holes, but only one that can blow a whistle >:( !",

......I guess he's right  :) .

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2020, 08:36:01 AM »

No, 66% were people who stayed at home most of the time, but still went to Grocery Stores, restaurants, Walmart, etc. and picked the virus up at one of those places. Or a family member living in the same household left the house, returned and that's how they got infected.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:41:21 AM by bbeagle »

Offline bbeagle

• FAN REACTION: +14/-52
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2020, 08:39:25 AM »
The obvious reason that masks will not work for officials is because of the whistle.  There would be no way that I can think of to blow the whistle with a mask on.  I do not believe it would be possible to properly administer the game without a whistle.  Although, I guess you could use some sort of hand held horn if it came to that.  I think if you have to wear a mask, it is probably too unsafe to play.

2 options I can see:
1) Officials can get an electronic whistle, like the Fox one: https://www.fox40world.com/electronic-whistle
2) A new 'sideline official' on the sideline has something like an air horn where they blow it when an official would normally blow a whistle.

Would we be getting tested for COVID-19 every week at our weekly meetings? I would think this would have to happen as well.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:45:05 AM by bbeagle »

Offline Grant - AR

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +63/-5
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2020, 09:57:12 AM »
From a few guys I've talked to, I'm afraid the high school teams may have to do some interesting scheduling this year because of a lack of officials.  I've heard of several who are debating whether to work this year or not because of Covid19.  If we lose a lot of officials because of this, it will just cause our current shortage to get much, much worse.

Offline Ralph Damren

• FAN REACTION: +865/-28
  • SEE IT-THINK IT-CALL IT
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2020, 11:11:56 AM »
A thing that hasn't been addressed on this topic is the "bear factor". While many of us are concerned for our safety of taking the field, think about Momma Bear and Poppa Bear ! :o While the safety of sending Baby Bear to a classroom full of students seems in doubt- even with social distancing - the chances of Baby Bear donning the pads in a sport, where social distancing can't happen, would be unthinkable.

:) P_S ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8] ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D :bOW :!# deadhorse: pi1eOn hEaDbAnG :puke:

Offline centexsports

• FAN REACTION: +6/-9
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2020, 11:22:12 AM »
It could go a lot deeper than we have been discussing.   What about employers and insurance companies putting their foot down.   I worked for a company ten years ago that told me if I got hurt officiating, they would fire me (they had done this with other employees that had dangerous hobbies).   I still officiated but no longer work there partly because I refused to stop.  I can see employers like cities (police, firemen and other critical staff), military and hospitals telling their people not to be involved in any activity that puts them at risk.   Insurers could claim this was a self inflicted illness because the person knew the contagious nature of the virus and deny coverage.   

What if Medicare says that any recipient who willfully puts them self in a high risk position will not be covered.  I can't afford to put my finances at this type of risk.   

After thinking about it, the key to all sports may come down to insurance and what risk the insurance companies are willing to take.   

Offline colorado_lines

• FAN REACTION: +2/-0
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2020, 12:28:08 PM »
What happens if masks are worn and you are following a big play. At a critical time as the ball carrier is tackled by his facemask he fumbled the ball but you couldn't see it because you wear glasses and they fogged up. How do you explain to the coaches...

I wear glasses and before I go to the grocery store now I use a little of my scuba diving mask defog on my glasses, completely solved the glasses fogging issue.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2020, 12:57:10 PM »
These have been used in soccer for a while so it would take care of the mask vs whistle problem. 

https://www.fox40world.com/electronic-whistle

But I wear glasses so not sure how that's going to get fixed if required.

I bought one of these as a gag a few years ago.  I would tell the crew in the pregame I was going to use it.  Funny thing is, they are not nearly loud enough for football.  You'd never hear these even in a semi-full stadium.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2020, 12:58:38 PM »
From a few guys I've talked to, I'm afraid the high school teams may have to do some interesting scheduling this year because of a lack of officials.  I've heard of several who are debating whether to work this year or not because of Covid19.  If we lose a lot of officials because of this, it will just cause our current shortage to get much, much worse.

Agreed.  No doubt about it.

Offline jwkde

• FAN REACTION: +0/-0
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2020, 01:28:57 PM »
Ralph but every “Poppa Bear” I come in contact with thinks junior is the next Jim Brown or Reggie White. So they have to play this year so nick sabban can recruit them

A thing that hasn't been addressed on this topic is the "bear factor". While many of us are concerned for our safety of taking the field, think about Momma Bear and Poppa Bear ! :o While the safety of sending Baby Bear to a classroom full of students seems in doubt- even with social distancing - the chances of Baby Bear donning the pads in a sport, where social distancing can't happen, would be unthinkable.

:) P_S ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8] ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'( >:D :bOW :!# deadhorse: pi1eOn hEaDbAnG :puke:yet

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2020, 03:53:09 PM »
What about states like Texas that officials are paid on gate fees. No crowd, no gate!
" I don't make the rules coach!"

Offline Magician

• FAN REACTION: +257/-8
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2020, 04:40:56 PM »
I bought one of these as a gag a few years ago.  I would tell the crew in the pregame I was going to use it.  Funny thing is, they are not nearly loud enough for football.  You'd never hear these even in a semi-full stadium.

If we are wearing masks I'm guessing there will be few if any fans in the stands.

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2020, 11:24:20 PM »
I drove past a baseball field this past weekend and they were have a little league game and the bleachers were fully packed.  Ithink people are just ready to see some sports and they jumoed all on on this little baseball game.  More tournaments are taking place this weekend.

Offline Punter

• FAN REACTION: +13/-27
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2020, 06:02:01 AM »
I am astounded and cannot believe that youth sports are taking place anywhere in the country when pro sports are sidelined...only in America I guess.

Offline ElvisLives

• FAN REACTION: +161/-143
  • The rules are there if you need them.
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2020, 07:01:09 AM »
I am astounded and cannot believe that youth sports are taking place anywhere in the country when pro sports are sidelined...only in America I guess.

It is BECAUSE this is America - land of the free. Virtually all true and free Americans were willing to voluntarily suspend their freedoms for a moment to figure out this Covid thing, get a plan, and then get back to life and business. Believe it or not, we have figured it out.  We know what it is. We know how it is transmitted. We know its effects. And we know how to treat it. People are going to get it. The vast, vast majority will survive it, just fine. Tragically, a small percentage will not. The medical professionals are bustin' their butts to minimize the tragedies. Given time, it will go away.
But, true and free Americans are no longer willing to have their freedoms suspended, especially not by over-reaching governmental actions. Most folks (myself included) will continue to observe sensible and practical practices to help mitigate exposure. We had a face-to-face chapter board meeting recently, on the porch of one guy's house, with all 9 of us spread about a bit. Those are sensible, reasonable and practical things. Went to an optometrist a few days ago, had my temperature checked at the door and wore a mask. Not real comfortable, but, still, a sensible, reasonable, and practical practice, to allow that business to continue to operate.  ALL business can resume immediately, with voluntary, sensible, reasonable and practical practices. Recreation can go on, with similar precautions.
People are still going to get Covid for some time to come (I'm guessing for up to a year, but just a guess, based on the trends we see reported "on the TV"). But testing is available to virtually everyone, and treatment is effective for the vast, vast majority.
Yes, I am willing to accept the possibility that I might get Covid by getting back to normal life and business. I fully accept that responsibility, and will not blame anyone.
Will you join me?

Offline HLinNC

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2020, 07:43:34 AM »
Ralph but every “Poppa Bear” I come in contact with thinks junior is the next Jim Brown or Reggie White. So they have to play this year so nick sabban can recruit them

Yep

Offline dammitbobby

• FAN REACTION: +27/-8
  • I know just enough to be dangerous...
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »
What about states like Texas that officials are paid on gate fees. No crowd, no gate!

I'm in Texas and I've only completed one year of officiating but I would guess that excepting the biggest schools, the vast majority just pay a standard rate, regardless of the gate take, regardless of what the paysheet says.  Most schools/games are small enough that it's really a non-issue, IMO.