Author Topic: Football in New York City?  (Read 18352 times)

Offline GoodScout

• FAN REACTION: +9/-9
Football in New York City?
« on: November 16, 2009, 09:09:46 AM »
Chalk this up as my stupid question for the year.

There's a chance I may be relocating to New York City next spring. What's the officiating situation in NYC? Are there associations or are officials coordinated with the NYSPHSAA? How realistic is be able to call football games if you're living in Manhattan with no car? Where do they play the games?

Anyone who has any information is welcome to either post it here or send me info privately if you'd prefer. I'm a lifelong southerner, so the culture shock quotient is pretty high. Don't know how I'll survive living in a place where football isn't a recognized religion!  :bOW

busman

Re: Football in New York City?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2009, 12:47:57 PM »
I am a lifelong Southerner also, and was in New York two Friday's ago.  On three different TV stations, not a single mention of a high school football score.

Offline Etref

• Administrator
  • FAN REACTION: +85/-28
  • " I don't make the rules coach!"
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 03:51:43 PM »
" I don't make the rules coach!"

busman

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 03:54:34 PM »
Wow, pretty good fee schedule.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 04:11:27 PM »
Yeah, but cost of living's so much higher.

Offline Welpe

• FAN REACTION: +28/-11
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 05:19:59 PM »
That and its still living in New York City.  No thanks.   ;)  GoodScout, good luck on your upcoming move.  I am a recent transplant form California to Texas and I imagine your culture shock will be very similar to mine!

jjseikel

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 10:09:46 PM »
That and its still living in New York City.  No thanks.   ;)  GoodScout, good luck on your upcoming move.  I am a recent transplant form California to Texas and I imagine your culture shock will be very similar to mine!

Ah, come on now. How can that shock comparison be even remotely similar?
 Wait till the Texans get wind of this!

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 10:15:45 PM »
Welpe, compare and contrast please.  I'm curious.

Offline Welpe

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:18:02 PM »
Ah, come on now. How can that shock comparison be even remotely similar?

Similar in the magnitude of the shock, not in the actual differences.   :)

Offline Welpe

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 11:51:23 PM »
Welpe, compare and contrast please.  I'm curious.

Just a few off the top of my head and some of these things are Houston centric as opposed to Texas as a whole.

The drivers.  Quite frankly, the drivers here are absolutely horrible.  This comes from somebody that has driven quite a bit in both the LA and SF Bay Area regions.

Football.  It is king here, no doubt about it.  California has some good football as well but playing it at the organized middle school level was unheard of.  Never mind the multiple teams per level (Frosh A/B, etc).  Also, I notice the bands play non-stop here, even during the game itself.  Where I'm from the bands never played during live balls or when the ball was about to become live.  Also, the sports complexes that ISDs have here are quite impressive.  I'm used to each school having its own field, where all of the home games are played.

The governments.  California has a full time, professional legislature that LOVES to tell people how to live their lives and charge you a nice income tax for it.  Numerous differences in this category but I'll leave it at that.

Housing.  We can actually afford a house here.  ;D

Water towers.  They are EVERYWHERE here...and completely foreign to me.

Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of things I like about California but these are a lot of the things that brought us out to Texas.

One thing I notice I like more about California is the food.  I love a good brisket but I miss the wide variety of fresh sea food, produce and good luck finding good sourdough bread here in Texas.  Fortunately there is Shiner Bock here so all is not lost.   ;)

One more thing I like about California is the variety of the geography.  I took for granted living amongst rolling hills and a few mountains.  The Gulf isn't bad and is warm but I do also miss the Pacific ocean.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 11:58:24 PM by Welpe »

Ref in SoCA

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2009, 12:33:10 AM »
Wow, pretty good fee schedule.

But, I believe, it's 4-man mechanics and you live in New York City.

Offline TexDoc

• FAN REACTION: +98/-26
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 07:40:34 AM »
Welpe, I was mostly curious about the differences in football at the high school, middle school level and officiating in general.  I've heard before from people who come here from out of state and are amazed at the Friday night spectacle that is Texas high school football.  I suppose when you grow up with it, you don't know anything different.

Offline GoodScout

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 09:37:31 AM »
Man, I was ready for going from 6 to 5 on a Friday night, but 6 to 4? Yikes. Glad I'm an umpire!

Offline HLinNC

• FAN REACTION: +133/-24
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »
If you get the Sports Package on DirecTV, there are a few channels that show what appears to be NYC area football games, replays I guess.  Also I've noticed one shows a highlight & scores program late on Friday/early Saturday morning.  Can't remember the exact channel and I assume since the season is essentially over, it will be hard to locate now.  Maybe they'll have some playoff games on.

If I think of it or can find it, I'll post.

Update: https://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/content/premiums/sports_pack
Try channels 639: SNY, 634: MSG.  They have some alternate channels in those ranges also.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 10:34:06 AM by HLinNC »

Boodle

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2009, 03:50:00 PM »
In the NYC area most high school games are played on Saturday afternoon. Many of the schools do not have lights.  In New York, there is not the big conflict on Saturday with college FB like in the South.

jjseikel

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 06:23:17 PM »
In the NYC area most high school games are played on Saturday afternoon. Many of the schools do not have lights.  In New York, there is not the big conflict on Saturday with college FB like in the South.

Maybe they don't play on Friday nights in order to keep players, coaches, officials and fans from having to be out after dark!

busman

« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2009, 09:12:50 AM »
And the one thing I noticed is that not every school has a field, so I assume scheduling is a real hassle.

Interesting enough, back in the 50's and 60's, evidently Columbia drew quite a bit of press for football, according to Dave Marissey in his book on Vince Lombardi, "When Pride Still Mattered".  The only thing I know about columbia is that the actor Ed Harris used to be their quarterback.

Offline RMR

• FAN REACTION: +10/-6
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 09:21:46 AM »
And the one thing I noticed is that not every school has a field, so I assume scheduling is a real hassle.

Interesting enough, back in the 50's and 60's, evidently Columbia drew quite a bit of press for football, according to Dave Marissey in his book on Vince Lombardi, "When Pride Still Mattered".  The only thing I know about columbia is that the actor Ed Harris used to be their quarterback.

And Lou Gehrig was their first baseman.
"Just because you don't understand it, doesn't mean it's wrong."

Offline GoodScout

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2010, 11:05:03 AM »
Well, I'm up here. Timing stunk because I got here too late to take part in this season in New York, and of course all my pals in Atlanta started the regular season last Friday.

I'm going to take my time and sniff around, I guess, getting in touch with PSAL about next season. Biggest question I have is just where the games are played and how accessible they are to someone without a car.

Those wanting to follow my adventure from Southerner to Yankee can visit me here: www.ManhattanHillbilly.com.

Have a great -- and safe -- season everyone!

Offline JasonTX

• FAN REACTION: +112/-58
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2010, 11:12:50 AM »
Just a few off the top of my head and some of these things are Houston centric as opposed to Texas as a whole.

The drivers.  Quite frankly, the drivers here are absolutely horrible.  This comes from somebody that has driven quite a bit in both the LA and SF Bay Area regions.

Drivers?  Are you serious?  You must be talking about golf.  The drivers in LA and all of California are really bad.  People there hit there breaks over anything and create traffic jams.  It's like a leaf blow across the highway and one car hits the breaks and then everyone, in response to that one car tapping their breaklights, hit theirs and then you have 3 miles of traffic jam.  It's a freaking leaf people.   ;D

Offline Welpe

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2010, 02:29:27 PM »
GoodScout, I'm sorry you are missing this season.  I went through that last year and it was not a fun experience.  But before you know it, next season will be here.

Jason, I'm sorry but Houston, Dallas and Austin area drivers stink.  There are a lot of things I like about this state but the drivers are not one of them.  And I don't golf.   ;)

Offline GAHSUMPIRE

• FAN REACTION: +19/-3
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 08:15:26 PM »
Scout, hope all is well up there. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I spent about 6 years in the NYC area a while back. After living there, I vowed to myself, in the words of the immortal Lewis Grizzard, "If I ever get back to Georgia, I'm gonna nail my feet to the floor".

I read in your blog that you were still in search of barbecue in the city. It's been a while since I've been up there, but Virgil's (45th St and 6th Ave I believe- or somewhere close to there) is passable, though my favorite was Brother Jimmy's down in the Village- 7th Ave and Houston. (And I'm sure you know by now that street is pronounced like the county in Georgia, not the city in Texas).

I hope they are still there.

Good luck to you.

Offline VALJ

• FAN REACTION: +90/-14
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2010, 10:29:11 PM »
Any chance of working as an observer or a clock operator?

Mike L

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 11:45:55 AM »
Drivers?  Are you serious?  You must be talking about golf.  The drivers in LA and all of California are really bad.  People there hit there breaks over anything and create traffic jams.  It's like a leaf blow across the highway and one car hits the breaks and then everyone, in response to that one car tapping their breaklights, hit theirs and then you have 3 miles of traffic jam.  It's a freaking leaf people.   ;D

The main problem with CA driving is the idea of how to merge is completely unknown. But at least we know vehicles have brakes to slow down and breaks when they don't.

Offline GoodScout

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2010, 03:07:31 PM »
Any chance of working as an observer or a clock operator?
Don't know. I emailed my contact information to the secretary at PSAL, but didn't hear anything. If PSAL doesn't need me, I may contact the Westchester County FOA. Would be a little harder for me to get there, as I'd have to take the MetroNorth or get a Zipcar, but even running a clock would help me through my withdrawl. My friends in my old association are all talking about their first games, and it's killing me!